Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing

Go down 
+10
yrt
Lizardman
Right_sided_coach
Winston
Salty Dog
JohnBGLee
eiji
Duval_S
shorthitter
ChrisD
14 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing Empty
PostSubject: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 3:54 am

Hi pros,

I had started golfing and pick up the game thru self taught about a year and half ago.
With this I had many bad habits. Eg. Hitting the ball and not swinging it thru, don't setup properly. I had decided to stop golfing for a
period of around 6 mths to a year to forget all the bad habits.
Thereafter, I will go for coaching lessons.
Is this ideal?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 8:12 am

I doubt if your body will be able to "forget" your home made swing, but it is not impossible to tune it.

There would IMO be no need to lay off, just practice the new swing properely.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:44 am

Hey Bro ChrisD, though I am not a pro....(but I am PSP Pro)....I don think you should do the cold turkey......suggestion is to invest in some stretching routine and also to consult a pro for advice because maybe it is some incremental changes to extract the golfer in you,,,,,,
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 am

I always go bad to old ways after seeking pro advice. I still need to work on other factors so that I will always concentrate. My game always failed me after 11th or later holes.
Dont worry, even if i do cold turkey, I am still working on some other factors that the golf requires other than swinging on golf course or range.

Thanks to Shorthitter and Duval.

Shorthitter, having played in front of you the other day and seen you ball flight. it really made me admire the kind of skills you have. Hope to see you again soon.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:17 am

Seeing a pro shouldn't be one off, u would have to see the pro over a period of time to truly incorporate the swing. I am also working on improving my swing, don't have to go cold turkey on games. Join the monthly games hehe
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
JohnBGLee
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JohnBGLee

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:18 am

Practice doesn't make perfect.
Practice perfectly make perfect.

See a Pro will somehow correct the wrong, but it is not easy to do away with the wrong.

IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Salty Dog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:33 am

I thought there is 2 types of swing style. One is the swinger (like Freddie Couple, Ernie Ele) and the other is a hitter (tiger wood??). Both can achieve the same goal.

If you trying to change from a hitter to swinger, isn't that defying your natural swing behavior?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:47 am

Quote :
Salty Dog wrote:
I thought there is 2 types of swing style. One is the swinger (like Freddie Couple, Ernie Ele) and the other is a hitter (tiger wood??). Both can achieve the same goal.

If you trying to change from a hitter to swinger, isn't that defying your natural swing behavior?

Irony is that it took me almost 7 years to realize that I am not a swinger....but a hitter....

PS: more like I decided to face the fact.....hahahahah

but then I read this phrase...which allow me to accept me-self:

"Golfers who understand and love the game accept it rather than fight it.They realize the esense of golf is reacting well to inevitable mistakes and misfortunes"

Therefore, I am now able to play below 130
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:53 am

Should not do cold turkey. In the duration of adsnece from the game, your body might have stiffen over time and flexibility would have been lost. I have experienced first hand that once you lose your flexibiity, you cant gain it back anymore.

If possible, see a pro you have confidence in and start on changing your bad habits. But do know that it would take sometime to unlearn / eradicate your bad habits.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Start with the short game and build it up into your full swing over time. Afterall the chipping, pitching is just a mini swing. In the interim, your scores will plummet and you will learn how to achieve correct impact, true loft and direction. These are the factors you need in your long game as well.
Learn to crawl, then walk and then run! Your bad habits will fade away over time.
Good luck
Back to top Go down
Lizardman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 1:25 pm

i think in order to unlearn all that you have learnt, you must first reformat your brain by drinking lots of alcohol Laughing
Back to top Go down
yrt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yrt

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Maybe try alcohol then swing. Razz But i guess the main thing is to relax the body in order to try new stuff in your swing. Slow and smooth more than power hit. At least that works for me sometimes.
Back to top Go down
http://chicnics.wordpress.com
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 2:20 pm

sounds like some kungfu show... need to remove all skills before learning the ultimate skill
Back to top Go down
Lizardman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Ok joking aside... I think it is most important to swallow your ego and start off again as a beginner learning the basics. If you think you have golfed well in the past and distrust what the coach says, then it won't work.

I'm kinda going thru a smiliar phase as you. Had learnt the swing from listening to my friends. Then I decided to engage a proper coach before everything gets too ingrained. Think it's the best choice I've made.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 5:01 pm

JohnBGLee wrote:
Practice doesn't make perfect.
Practice perfectly make perfect.

See a Pro will somehow correct the wrong, but it is not easy to do away with the wrong.

IMHO.

Practice makes permanent. Keeping practicing a koyak swing, and you will improve to a point, after which it is hit or miss.

Seeing a coach to develop a proper swing was the best investment I ever made for my golf habit. You guys don't know how good you have it in SG -- jhan, shorthitter and RSS are good coaches who are pretty accessible.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 6:44 pm

ChrisD wrote:
I always go bad to old ways after seeking pro advice. I still need to work on other factors so that I will always concentrate. My game always failed me after 11th or later holes.
Dont worry, even if i do cold turkey, I am still working on some other factors that the golf requires other than swinging on golf course or range.

Thanks to Shorthitter and Duval.

Shorthitter, having played in front of you the other day and seen you ball flight. it really made me admire the kind of skills you have. Hope to see you again soon.

Thanks Chris, Very Happy my skills are nothing special, anyone with a good work ethic and good mind set can do it... It take positive practice, going to the range and hitting 500 balls a day can do more harm if you are not doing properly.

The issue most people have is they dont see insant results, so they keep changing swing or they give up....

It takes time but can be done by anyone.... Beer
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Got it, boss! I will persevere...
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 pm

botak wrote:
Got it, boss! I will persevere...

Good boy... few more need reminding!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
icejazz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
icejazz

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Agree with Shorthitter. Used to range so much that I'm actually perfecting my imperfection swing Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing   Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I forget my hit before I start to learn how to swing
Page 1 of 1