Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stamina and Heat?

Go down 
+5
Kopi Towkay
m0i
shotah
lennylim
Khorkar
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Not sure if this is common amongst beginners, I typically have more energy on the first 9, the 2nd 9 tend be lackluster. Quite possibly due to lack of stamina and energy to sustain the 4 hrs game.

Question for the better players out there, i know there is a lot here. How do you maintain stamina during the game and have the lasting energy for the whole game? Any tips would be helpful.

Last edited by Khorkar on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lennylim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
lennylim

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 8:27 pm

ok, i not qualify as one of the better golfers here, but these are my two cents...

for me, i usually have better back 9 than front 9, maybe cos i warm up already.
eating a sandwich in between helps, banana lagi better and i try to remember to keep drinking water... take sips after every other hole, instead of gulping after 4-5 holes

some pple snigger when i tell them play golf siong...
while one probably can't golf to keep fit but i believe you have to be fit to golf.
i try to mix my week up a bit with running/gym and football which helps keep stamina.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 10:43 pm

playing golf is like marathon, you never use up all your energy on the first few holes. No point having long drives on first 9 but 2nd 9, can't even get onto the fairway. Got to plan your game.
Back to top Go down
m0i
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
m0i

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 11:52 pm

If buggy on track thruout the 18 holes, i think i use up all energy on the first 9.
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 7:56 am

I have a real beef with most of the courses in Singapore and Malaysia. For some unknown reason (That's a lie, I know it's all about the money), courses don't put out a standing water cooler at each tee-box. And they don't have or man-up their snacks at the turn either.
Stamina and Heat? 5-SWP-001-M
Granted, some of the nicer courses (Laguna, Sentosa etc) do provide a cart cooler with chilled free water and that is great but the large majority of the courses simply suck when it comes to taking care of the golfers on the course.
This leaves us no alternative but to bring our own cooler/water/snacks even if they have some stupid sign stating "no outside food/drinks allowed".
Stamina and Heat? No_Food_or_Drink_Sign_L

DRINK water constantly throughout the round. As stated, a few sips at every chance makes a big diff.

I also bring along a small soft cooler with water and ice and a few clean face towels. Soak the towels in fresh water, toss em in the freezer in a ziplock bag and take them with you. They act as ice to keep the drinks chilled and every so often take one and place on your face, neck and wrists and you'll cool down immediately and regain your stamina and ability to concentrate/focus. You could also use those frozen disposable towelettes instead, they work wonderfully too.

KEEP COOL, that's the point when playing in this high heat and humidity.Stamina and Heat? Sweat

Cheers, KT
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 8:53 am

I dun think you get tired from swinging when on green, coz most of the time you take one swing and the next will be at least 30 sec later. unless you have to take more tries from the same position. 30 sec will allow you to recover.

I think its the walking and the heat that kills. Heat can take away abt 20% of your performance. Walking makes you tired and it affects the swings.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 9:20 am

I agree with KT. There aren't enough drinks-dispensing-devices-or-dudes on our courses. Many courses have a drinks hut which is located such that it serves the middle of both nines, i.e. that it can be reached once you are at the 4th/5th hole and the 13th/14th hole but the holes in between require you to rely on your own water tumbler.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Weariness almost always appears around the 12-15th holes unless physically fit or munching on energy bars/fruit/sandwiches/big pau, etc, and drinking gatorade-like energy drinks.

I try not to drink alcohol while playing--only afterwards at the 19th hole.

But I am guilty of not warming up properly before playing, and drinking massive amounts of coka-cola or kickapoo while playing as I dun like water.

Probably the most boring shots in an 18-hole regulation round are those second shots at par-5 holes at the 13 - 15th holes. From 16th onward, I tend to become more 'aggressive' on all the holes again as I am re-assured that the end is in sight (three more holes only).

CK
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 1:39 pm

When I used to play back in Malaysia many many moons ago, we didn't have buggies at that time so we had to drag our bags or carry. Those were rough. I remember cursing endlessly. I wasn't the fittest, obviously, and it showed in my game in the later parts of the course.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 2:30 pm

Try walking & carrying your full golf bag on Keppel, Changi or Sembawang GCs--it will build stamina.

I did once at Changi, and will not do it again!

Give me plenty of shade on the course, a smooth motorised buggy ride from hole to hole, and competent (and pretty) caddies, and I am content.

Guess old age is catching up with me!

Razz

CK
Back to top Go down
redbull
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
redbull

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 2:34 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Not sure if this is common amongst beginners, I typically have more energy on the first 9, the 2nd 9 tend be lackluster. Quite possibly due to lack of stamina and energy to sustain the 4 hrs game.

Question for the better players out there, i know there is a lot here. How do you maintain stamina during the game and have the lasting energy for the whole game? Any tips would be helpful.

drink redbull? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Wear Skins..... Smile
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 2:43 pm

drink redbull?

This can be consumed 'after' drinking booze at the 19th hole and before those KTV sessions at Parklane, TAM, LV, XTC or LPD--or so I have been told by others.

drunken

CK

Last edited by clarencekim on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 3:48 pm

I think if you can prepare your golf bag for the game, it is not so difficult to fill up water bottle/s for the game... have to make do with what we have...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 4:29 pm

I used to freeze a 1.5l bottle of water the night before and bring it along in my game. The water would stay pretty chilled throuhgout. It melted relatively fast in our hot climate but it was great.

Still, I preferred 100+ with Staminade. A classic combi Smile
Back to top Go down
lennylim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
lennylim

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 4:46 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I used to freeze a 1.5l bottle of water the night before and bring it along in my game. The water would stay pretty chilled throuhgout. It melted relatively fast in our hot climate but it was great.

hey, me too! i also freeze a 1.5l bottle of water the night before... still doing it now... usually i will put in my fridge2go (cooler bag) and will last me the full 18 holes
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 4:50 pm

lennylim wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

hey, me too! i also freeze a 1.5l bottle of water the night before... still doing it now... usually i will put in my fridge2go (cooler bag) and will last me the full 18 holes

Cool! Great minds think alike Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stamina and Heat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stamina and Heat?   Stamina and Heat? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stamina and Heat?
Page 1 of 1