Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 Empty
PostSubject: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 am

Hi,

I'm a user of Garmin Approach S20, I encountered a problem with the feature "Measuring a Shot".

The instruction message on the watch said the distance will be measured automatically upon completion of golf swing. I did that, but the watch doesn't give the distance reading when I walk to the ball, instead it remain at the same message, awaiting for my golf swing.  

I restarted the watch several times, but it didn't help.

Please assist.
Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2017 12:34 pm

You can try checking your Garmin connect app. You should be able to see your hole by hole performance. If the distance is logged, you should see the distance for each shot. 

I'm not entirely sure whether you will be able to see the distances on the watch itself. 

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 2:09 am

dimpledgolfball wrote:
You can try checking your Garmin connect app. You should be able to see your hole by hole performance. If the distance is logged, you should see the distance for each shot. 

I'm not entirely sure whether you will be able to see the distances on the watch itself. 

Hope this helps.

My watch "Measuring a Shot" function was suppose to measure the distance after each shot when I walk to my ball, instead the message remains unchanged at "Swing to Start Measuring"

Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 Swing_10
Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Right. You must turn on scoring to enable autoshot detection, which in turn resets the "measure a shot" function. I'm sure you already did that. 

I'm guessing that your watch didn't even detect your swing. 

Would that be right?
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 11:08 pm

dimpledgolfball wrote:
Right. You must turn on scoring to enable autoshot detection, which in turn resets the "measure a shot" function. I'm sure you already did that. 

I'm guessing that your watch didn't even detect your swing. 

Would that be right?
I suspect it didn't detect the swing.
Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 9:26 am

perhaps this will help you. it's for the x40, but the tech should be the same. 

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/golfing/approach-x40/146339-how-to-improve-shot-detection-to-100
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 1:03 pm

dimpledgolfball wrote:

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/golfing/approach-x40/146339-how-to-improve-shot-detection-to-100

Many thanks for the link. This Autoshot feature is a pain to use. Would be nice if if could be activated manually like the G10.

Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Personally i will find manual activation on the course to be a pain. I've used my x40 for only 1 round, and still can't get used to it yet, but that's more of because I used to rely on the course marker for yardages. 

Still, as the guy in the link mentioned, it kinda forces you to stay still before the shot. That's a relatively good thing for me. 

Furthermore, on the course, it doesn't really matter whether you know how far you're hitting or not. What matters is how far you are left with. 

Just my 2cents.
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm

dimpledgolfball wrote:
Personally i will find manual activation on the course to be a pain. I've used my x40 for only 1 round, and still can't get used to it yet, but that's more of because I used to rely on the course marker for yardages. 

Still, as the guy in the link mentioned, it kinda forces you to stay still before the shot. That's a relatively good thing for me. 

Furthermore, on the course, it doesn't really matter whether you know how far you're hitting or not. What matters is how far you are left with. 

Just my 2cents.

I'll let my hand rest for 3sec before back swing. Will give it a try.
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 1:05 am

dimpledgolfball wrote:

I tested the 3 sec drill, it really resolved the Autostart problem, and also help me to calm down during address. The guys at Garmin thought it was the watch problem, requested me to send the watch in for servicing.

Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 8:55 am

Glad to help. 

By the way, are you able to see the previous distances on the watch?
How many can you see?
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 10:33 pm

dimpledgolfball wrote:
Glad to help. 

By the way, are you able to see the previous distances on the watch?
How many can you see?

The Autoshot is temperamental, sometimes it doesn't capture my swing. Though it does capture the  previous shots, but not sure the numbers of shots in the previous list.
Back to top Go down
Clearvision
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 11:18 am

I am having the same Garmin S20 watch.
Here's what I do to measure the distance of each shot. A bit leychey but at least it tells me the distance.

1) At Tee Box. Check distance prior to swinging. Example 400 meters.

2) When I arrived at my ball for my second shot, I check distance on my watch again. If it reads 220 metres to the Green, it means my tee shot is 180 metres. (400 m - 220 M = 180 meters drive)  

This allows me to focus on my next swing rather than trying to adjust the watch....wasting time and may screw up my next shot.
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Clearvision wrote:
I am having the same Garmin S20 watch.
Here's what I do to measure the distance of each shot. A bit leychey but at least it tells me the distance.

1) At Tee Box. Check distance prior to swinging. Example 400 meters.

2) When I arrived at my ball for my second shot, I check distance on my watch again. If it reads 220 metres to the Green, it means my tee shot is 180 metres. (400 m - 220 M = 180 meters drive)  

This allows me to focus on my next swing rather than trying to adjust the watch....wasting time and may screw up my next shot.
Sometimes I do that, but my mental calculation is a little slow, especially on a busy day.

That is why, I find the G10 manual activated "Measure a Shot" is the best. If I get a good hit, before leaving the tee box, I just need to manually activate the function and drive to the ball. Or I can manually activate the function while waiting at the buggy, so simple.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20   Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problem with using the feature "Measuring a Shot" for Garmin S20
Page 1 of 1