Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please

Go down 
+4
mizunoshen
garylin
scottycollector
yaozza07
8 posters
AuthorMessage
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please Empty
PostSubject: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 11:38 am

Hi - I'm in the market for a new set of Iron heads. I currently game the MP15 from 6-pw and JPX850 forged from 4-5. I'm a 9 handicap but that doesn't mean jack as my iron play is horrendous, i keep hitting it fat, thin, left, right, which is more because of me but i still feel i need something more forgiving.

I'm looking for forgiving iron heads without looking too ugly (sorry Ping G's & Big Bertha). Open budget but don't want to eat porridge for a month :p

I'm thinking MP54, H5, Apex, older epon 5's or 7's, if i'm lucky to find older MG CB's. Something like that.

I like the AP2's feel but the squat head really scares me a little.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 2:44 pm

how about just making the entire set out of JPX forged? ie just remove the MP15s? I think the JPX forged series is a great blend of forgiveness and looks.

another option is the Taylormade Rsi TP forged, which will be much cheaper once TM releases a new line of irons, which no doubt will be very soon

You may also wanna consider PRGR nabla, Cobra Amp forged

you may also wanna try out other types of iron shafts. I actually think the shaft has a greater influence on the swing / shots than the heads.
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 2:58 pm

Yes, i tried the TM's before and honestly quite like it but somehow can't get over my decades long negative brand perception i have of them. Just a personal thing.

Changing all to JPX could be a good idea. I currently have KBS TourV 110S on all my irons and quite like them, so will stick to them.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Back to top Go down
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 3:36 pm

how about Titleist 714 CBs ? My kaki uses it and his irons are superb
Back to top Go down
mizunoshen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 4:33 pm

i have a set of new 54's if you are keen, they are the blend of the 64's and 53's which i remember correctly you had.
Back to top Go down
dreamer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Epon 503 is worth looking.
703 may be too big, although they still look better than those ultra game improvement head.
The 303 is worth looking as they are between the 3 and 5 series.
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 6:17 pm

@garylin - CB i cannot handle, they look sexy though

@mizunoshen - Yes have good memories of the 54 which i might consider.

@dreamer - I only can afford used old Epons & MG's. If you have older ones, i might be keen.
Back to top Go down
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 6:29 pm

yaozza07 wrote:

@dreamer - I only can afford used old Epons & MG's. If you have older ones, i might be keen.

CB is the cavity back version leh. Should be quite manageable. The muscle back is the one that is tough to handle Smile
Back to top Go down
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 6:30 pm

yaozza07 wrote:

actually, you should go to the demo days to try! so that you can get a set you really like Smile

I know Titleist and Taylormade have demo days. not sure about other brands.
Back to top Go down
dreamer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Titleist has fitting appointment that you can book.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 11:39 pm

Mizuno, TM, Ping, Cobra and Titleist are all available for fitting ... No need to wait till demo days, just call them up and book an appointment with them. 

Cobra Smiley Taylormade Ping Golf Titleist
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 12:11 am

Check out Yamaha irons. Get the tour model ones.
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 11:19 am

I've loosely set my budget below 600, so means JDM all out of play :p
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 7:43 pm

If you are getting used clubs, can try Golf Partners at Fesc.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 10:06 pm

yaozza07 wrote:
I've loosely set my budget below 600, so means JDM all out of play :p

U be surprised that u can get used and in relatively good condition JDM clubs at ur Budget.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please   Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for new set of Iron heads - recommendations please
Page 1 of 1