Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

distance of wood v hybrid v iron

Go down 
+3
Eferata
Turbo
Vrooooom2
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Vrooooom2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

distance of wood v hybrid v iron Empty
PostSubject: distance of wood v hybrid v iron   distance of wood v hybrid v iron I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 4:33 pm

another question to satisfy my curiousity.

I often hear other golfers saying, given the same loft, wood will hit further than hybrid and hybrid will hit further than iron. there are 2 main reasons - bigger club head mass and longer shaft.

my experience, it is true for wood. but i can't see major difference between hybrid and iron. may be because of my lousy swing. what's your experience? and on average, what is the difference in distances?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: distance of wood v hybrid v iron   distance of wood v hybrid v iron I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Hybrid is definitely longer and it can produce towering ball flight versus an equivalent iron ... If one can hit long and towering ball flight with his long irons, he can forget about hybrid but how many social golfer has the necessary swing speed to do that? Even some PGA Tour Pros (especially the older ones) and most LPGA Tour Pros swear by the Hybrid ... Not forgetting majority of the male Asian social golfers swing speed is close or slightly lower than a typical strong LPGA tour Pro hitter like MW, Brittany Lincicome, Stacy Lewis, Lexi Thompson, Yani Tseng, etc.
Back to top Go down
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

PostSubject: Re: distance of wood v hybrid v iron   distance of wood v hybrid v iron I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 1:19 am

Hi all, 
I am really wondering, is it true that
Asian hit shorter that's why Asian spec exist?
If yes, any reason why we can't hit as long
as the pro?

Regards,
Efetata.
Back to top Go down
Chunky Munky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Chunky Munky

PostSubject: Re: distance of wood v hybrid v iron   distance of wood v hybrid v iron I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 10:08 am

Not sure about Asian players hitting it shorter than other races. I’ve played with some really long hitting Asian guys (and gals) recently! Smile

With reference to why amateurs can't hit it as long (or as accurate which is potentially more important!) as the pros there is a never ending list I think....

Saw this pretty cool analysis on “What makes the perfect golf swing?” the other day which is certainly worth a watch - http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z3yw7ty

To go back to the original post…wood always longer. Hybrid vs Iron depends on how high/low I want the ball flight.
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: distance of wood v hybrid v iron   distance of wood v hybrid v iron I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 7:45 pm

based on my experience with hybrid and long irons.  Hybrids usually hit about 10 meters longer than the iron they replace....
but just don't see the number on the sole, check the loft if they are the same. 

3 hybrids don't have the same loft as 3 irons....
Back to top Go down
yanguei
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: distance of wood v hybrid v iron   distance of wood v hybrid v iron I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 10:17 am

My 4 hybrid is 1.25" longer than my 4 iron with the same loft. For an average golfer like myself, my hybrid is about 8m to 10m longer than my iron. But more importantly, I can get more successful shot from hybrid than my iron as I find the hybrid head design more forgiving. The shot from hybrid also land softer as well. So even if distance is the same, I will still use a hybrid.

Now the problem is that there is a gap of 15m to 20m between my 4 hybrid and 5 iron. So far no much problem because when my drive screw up, normally I need to pull out my 2 hybrid.
Back to top Go down
mizunoshen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: distance of wood v hybrid v iron   distance of wood v hybrid v iron I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 10:50 am

brothers, just read this.
http://www.golfwrx.com/221429/what-should-be-in-your-bag-a-long-iron-hybrid-or-fairway-wood/

Personally, it is not how you far you want to hit your ball, it is how you want your ball to perform.

You need to find your GO TO club that will serve you well and fit your gap, your game will improve in no time. I started playing a year ago and now I am shooting in 80's because of this wonderful tip from my coach.

If your drive is 200m on a par 5(450m), with 250m to the pin, do you think a wood or a hybrid will help you better?
I'd rather you hit your favorite 7/8 iron twice.

A wood is for those who want to be 2 on for a Par 5, so for me depending on how successful my drive is, I have my trusty 3 wood (220m) and 5 wood (200m) that give me a consistent distance and a soft landing without much run on the green for my birdie chances on Par 5's.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: distance of wood v hybrid v iron   distance of wood v hybrid v iron I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 11:20 am

mizunoshen is correct ... We must know our strengths and weaknesses. We must be able to capitalize on our strengths ... We have to consider what shot to hit for the second shot after teeing off ... Meaning that we have to plan one shot in advance (at least). Unless one thinks that his 7 or 8i approach shot is not that accurate compare to using a wedge, he should try hitting with a FW wood (on condition you have a good lie) ...

The above applies to social golfers only ... Because a male Tour Pro would prolly be able to On with a FW wood for 250m distance ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: distance of wood v hybrid v iron   distance of wood v hybrid v iron I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

distance of wood v hybrid v iron
Page 1 of 1