Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golfing without a car

Go down 
+14
Pizzaman
Renixus
ChrisD
htngwilliam
dukes4
eyz4eva
Stanix
Breakin80
flashpacker
Ross Tan
yaozza07
TDO
loserjo
Nam Flog
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Golfing without a car Empty
PostSubject: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 8:21 pm

My car expires soon in 2 months time. I am contemplating not owning a car after this. It just does't make sense anymore given the sky high costs.

Can non-car owners share with me how you go golfing? I do not have club membership in singapore. I play weekdays. And I prefer JB as cheaper.
Back to top Go down
loserjo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 8:30 pm

I think it's as good as giving up golf... In S'pore u can take taxis but if u are going to play in JB, it;s just not possible considering the jam, distance and journey to and fro from golfing place.

I would suggest u buy a local membership like NSRCC and take cab for golf
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Find regular kakis to car pool if you can find one who lives near you or one who can pass by your place. Every thing is possible. Or join a JB club and keep your bag there. This way transportation is easier. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Bro TDO, that is cool. i didn't know that we are allowed to keep our bags there.

Thanks and good idea for me to consider.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Nam Flog wrote:
Bro TDO, that is cool. i didn't know that we are allowed to keep our bags there.

Thanks and good idea for me to consider.

Our brothers here might have more suggestions. Be patient for other ideas. Some clubs charges a fee while others don't. Very Happy Swing On Green
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 10:44 pm

Use cab or Uber for commuting to SG courses. 

For Jb, if you have min 3 ball (more worth it), can hire driver to send you to JB and back for ~RM140-200/way. Or if you are more flexible, can use Tripda or i heard Uber will launch cross border service too.
https://www.uber.com
http://www.tripda.com.my
http://www.taxisingapore.com/singapore-to-johor-bahru/

Batam, lagi bess, everything taken care of, just pay, play and relax.

Many options la, see which one you comfortable only. I sold my car about 1 year ago and i actually play more golf than ever before. I also have extra cash to fly and play golf.
Back to top Go down
Ross Tan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 1:17 am

Maybe I consider putting in lockers at JCC just for non-members like you to make use of, obviously you will end up paying public rate for the locker use, that way it's win win for all, let's hear from others before I moot up this new idea of lockers for non-members.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 7:37 am

yaozza07 wrote:
Use cab or Uber for commuting to SG courses. 

For Jb, if you have min 3 ball (more worth it), can hire driver to send you to JB and back for ~RM140-200/way. Or if you are more flexible, can use Tripda or i heard Uber will launch cross border service too.
https://www.uber.com
http://www.tripda.com.my
http://www.taxisingapore.com/singapore-to-johor-bahru/

Batam, lagi bess, everything taken care of, just pay, play and relax.

Many options la, see which one you comfortable only. I sold my car about 1 year ago and i actually play more golf than ever before. I also have extra cash to fly and play golf.

The amount of $$$ going to the transport will add up quite a bit to the game if we use these "public transport". Shocked Better to find regular kakis with transport and share cost with them. It's so much cheaper. 
Sorry, I am speaking from my personal financial point of view. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 9:39 am

Hire a locker and keep your bag in it. 
That's the best way.

The cab fares you spend a year will still be cheaper than buying a car.

Unless you want to get a taxi driver's license and rent a merz taxi for your own use....  cheers
Back to top Go down
Breakin80
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 8:33 pm

If you are a member of NTUC, try mygolfkaki. About $80 midweek for 18 holes at Orchid CC. It's a bit of flapping about initially to get handicap etc, but once it is sorted, $170 per year gets you pretty good access to 3 good 9 holes in Sg. Also fair rate on Sunday afternoons (never done it, so can't remember price). But much easier and shorter time than going to Malaysia or Indonesia.
Back to top Go down
Stanix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Stanix

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 10:03 pm

Sold e car 2mths ago and back to ridin scooter...
Use sunday bag wif 4clubs for range

If go greenie 18holes, lom-bang my pals n treat em makan....hehe
Back to top Go down
eyz4eva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 1:24 pm

I got a compact sunday bag, and managed to squeeze in a driver, a hybrid, 3 irons and a wedge.

if i can squeeze in another putter (probably use make do with 2 irons), i think i can ride my bike for a 9 hole executive.

as for hitting the green, i think 4 wheel is definitely a must, either taxi or getting a ride from friend.
Back to top Go down
dukes4
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 8:43 pm

maybe can fabricate to carry a golf bag on bikes like BMW GS
Back to top Go down
htngwilliam
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 11:02 pm

I don't drive but I think it is still ok.

1. For range, toa payoh, punggol and Bishan are all accessible by public transport 

2. For golf course, just pay $98 to go batam Palm Spring. Include ferry ticket, lunch, caddie, buggy and no stress. 

3. If need to play in SG, confirm got some good friends can pick us from some mrt station
Back to top Go down
Stanix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Stanix

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 7:04 am

My wife was like, i bet u gonna giv up golf without a car.. haha

Bet i proveD her sooo damn wrong.. hehe
coz i am nt alone ard here.. 

Ps: can bring ur clubs along when touring north liao, bro dukes4... hehe
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 9:58 am

Have seen ppl w/o car playing regular golf week in week out. Guess to learn how to pester your kakis to give you a lift. Most addicted kakis will surely have no problem giving you a lift if you are genuine and willing to buy them drinks, lunch, dinner. Think abt the $ ou gonna spent on cab, isn't it better to use it on your kakis.
Back to top Go down
htngwilliam
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 10:19 am

ChrisD wrote:
Have seen ppl w/o car playing regular golf week in week out. Guess to learn how to pester your kakis to give you a lift. Most addicted kakis will surely have no problem giving you a lift if you are genuine and willing to buy them drinks, lunch, dinner. Think abt the $ ou gonna spent on cab, isn't it better to use it on your kakis.

Yes, very possible. Golf is a sports for networking and I met many nice kakis since taking up this sports. Friends who pass me equipments and good advise. Friends also give me a ride from range and I just buy them breakfast out of good will and sometimes they buy back

While I agree it is inconvenient to play with a car, it is all in the mind.
Back to top Go down
Renixus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 2:19 pm

Taxi's are quite easy nowadays with all the apps in the market. There are some occasion during peak hours where you have to wait awhile but generally there's no problem getting to and from a Singapore golf course in a taxi.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 2:53 pm

Renixus wrote:
Taxi's are quite easy nowadays with all the apps in the market. There are some occasion during peak hours where you have to wait awhile but generally there's no problem getting to and from a Singapore golf course in a taxi.

The game will just be more expensive if you have the budget, that's all.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks for all the good ideas and comments.

I think it is highly possible like a lot of people said. I also have a motorcycle license. Anybody tried before riding a bike with a full bag? Will TP stop you?
Back to top Go down
htngwilliam
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Dangerous lei. How to carry a bag on the bike. Balancing is dangerous
Back to top Go down
Pizzaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Pizzaman

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 5:45 pm

buy a vespa with sidecar Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 7:05 pm

Pizzaman wrote:
buy a vespa with sidecar Twisted Evil
Uber cool!

But stuck in causeway jam and kana horn jialat.
Back to top Go down
dukes4
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Haha
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 10:17 pm

dukes4 wrote:
Haha
Seriously???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golfing without a car   Golfing without a car I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golfing without a car
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next