Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Etiquette

Go down 
+6
kuuligan
qtd
jaketang
chemicalpro
Technospaz
pocketace
10 posters
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 4:08 pm

We were playing yesterday and I noticed a couple of issues. I would like to give these people the benefit of the doubt that they are ignorant and not they lack golf etiquette. So, I want to share these stories here. If you have your personal encounter, please share so that we all learn

Story A: I cannot help but notice the strange behavior of this flight of golfers in front of our flight yesterday. My guess is that they are either complete strangers or completely ignorant who should replace the flagstick. What we observed yesterday, the last person who putts out on the green has to pick up the flagstick and replace the pin. Where are the rest of his flight-mates? They have all made an early exit from the green to their golf cart the minute they have putted!

Suggestion: the first person who putts out on the green should pick up the flagstick, and not dash straight to the golf cart, waiting to zoom off to the next tee box. The 2nd and 3rd person who putts out should, out of courtesy stay still but remain around the green and wait for the 4th player to putt out. Leaving the 4th person alone on the green to putt out is rude, you are not showing respect and consideration for him / her. Also, it slows down play as he must then locate the flag stick somewhere on the green to replace it. If the 1st person holds on to the flagstick, then he can come replace the flag stick once the 4th player putts out. Common sense right? Apparently not to this group of golfers in front of us...
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 4:16 pm

Story B: My fren is on the tee box, all ready to launch his drive when a ball fell a couple of meters to the side, startling him, and rest of us standing in the tee box! Nobody shouted from the adjacent fairway who was shooting for the green about 10-15m to the side of our tee box. Needless to say, my fren was so startled, he hit a poor drive and we insist on giving him a mulligan!

Suggestion: This one we all ought to know. If your shot sail left, right of your target - shout 'Fore!' If your shot went longer than expected, (in this case, that golfer hit too long and it carried the green he was aiming into our tee box) please should 'Fore' as well.
If you forgot to shout 'Fore' not expecting the ball to land near another group of golfers, please be the first to raise your hand and offer your apologies PROACTIVELY. Don't feint ignorance when queried by the 'victims'
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Yup, been there done that. Was this at MBGC? The tee boxes, fairways, greens etc are all pretty close and it's not uncommon for it to happen. That said, you're right, shouting "FORE" is necessary to protect other golfers and yourself if your ball goes wayward.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:37 am

I agree. Normally at the caddy courses I play in Malaysia they will shout "Ball" for wayward shots, and before shots to indicate to those who've driven further up that the back guy is taking his shot.

Bravo for bringing up this good point.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 9:41 am

Happened in NSRCC Airforce... tsk tsk tsk... glad to leave the course unscathed...

Yes, MBGC is dangerous, in particular, the Par 3 tee box to the island green.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 10:33 am

errrrr i got to confess abt wayward driving...... juz my last game @ nsrcc... for 2 holes, i drive 1 on.... but on the adjacent holes.... Embarassed

bUT, i always shout "BALL"!!!!! coz i always drive side ways.... must be the side kick on my shaft too much liao.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
qtd
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 11:13 am

Just to share my experience:

I was in the golf buggy waiting for my wife to hit her approach shot when we hear "Ball" and she immediately took shelter in the buggy with me when the golf ball hit the buggy a few seconds later.

The ball was from the filght that was play the previous hole and the shot was OB..

My wife went back to get ready to hit her approach shot when the same thing happened and the ball whizzed past her before she could get into the buggy. I saw that it was from the same player who hitted the driver previously but he didnt shout "Ball" or "Fore" this time round.

We looked at them from our fairway and they didnt even acknowledge anything and the same guy played a 3rd tee short and it was coming our way as well!!!

I drove up to them midway to inform the guy that he should have shouted for the last 2 shots as it was very dangerous and we were in full view from their tee box.

He reply was " I shouted Ball the first time what.. you all also can see me teeing off again so should know if my ball coming your way!!".. "Not happy complain Marshal lah!""

I was thinking to myself what sort of attitude is this, let alone whatever "golf etiquette"!

Btw, we were playing at JB courses and not SG courses so no choice.....
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 11:16 am

well bro, bo pian... juz be careful loh......

if say they r the flight behind you, let them pass.....then u tee off at them... 1st time u shout, after tht no need....

j/k.....
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 11:23 am

Wow that sucks camel's hump gtd! Utterly unreasonable, so we're now expected to watch others tee off from adjacent holes? I would have pulled a Elin Nordegren Woods on that punk ass if I was you Smile
Back to top Go down
kuuligan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 11:31 am

I hate ppl who dont walk properly on the green and dont rake the sand after launching balls out of the bunker.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 12:28 pm

qtd wrote:
Just to share my experience:

I was in the golf buggy waiting for my wife to hit her approach shot when we hear "Ball" and she immediately took shelter in the buggy with me when the golf ball hit the buggy a few seconds later.

The ball was from the filght that was play the previous hole and the shot was OB..

My wife went back to get ready to hit her approach shot when the same thing happened and the ball whizzed past her before she could get into the buggy. I saw that it was from the same player who hitted the driver previously but he didnt shout "Ball" or "Fore" this time round.

We looked at them from our fairway and they didnt even acknowledge anything and the same guy played a 3rd tee short and it was coming our way as well!!!

I drove up to them midway to inform the guy that he should have shouted for the last 2 shots as it was very dangerous and we were in full view from their tee box.

He reply was " I shouted Ball the first time what.. you all also can see me teeing off again so should know if my ball coming your way!!".. "Not happy complain Marshal lah!""

I was thinking to myself what sort of attitude is this, let alone whatever "golf etiquette"!

Btw, we were playing at JB courses and not SG courses so no choice.....

There will always be losers on the course. No point picking a fight. Be grateful that you were not injured. I believe in "karma whiplash" - what goes around will come around IN HIS FACE! Razz
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Sometimes some golfers tee off when I'm on the fairway and if it gets very near to me. Firstly I'll approach them and ask them what's the hurry and secondly I'll ask them if they have insurance because I'll sue them if they hurt me. Sadly we meet all sort of golfers on the courses.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:58 pm

mloy wrote:
Sometimes some golfers tee off when I'm on the fairway and if it gets very near to me. Firstly I'll approach them and ask them what's the hurry and secondly I'll ask them if they have insurance because I'll sue them if they hurt me. Sadly we meet all sort of golfers on the courses.

I think the unfortunate thing these days is that people are being less civic-conscious both on and off the course.
Back to top Go down
kuuligan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 2:25 pm

I dont want to create the wrong impression here but I've noticed alot of ppl tend to be "superhero's" and forget about following nation regulations when out of singapore
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 5:40 pm

May I say that anyone and everyone who stands on the teeing box shares the responsibility in alerting others after a wayward shot.

how you conduct yourself on the golf course is often mirrored by how you would carry yourself in the real world. the 2 goes hand in hand.
the popularity and ppl's affordability have meant tht golf is now played by ppl fr all walks of life. (there's nothing wrong in this) but of coz, we all would like to think tht golf is played by gentlemen only.

personally, i think the problem stems fr 'inexperience' and fr the fact that etiquette is learnt primarily thro observation of others who are more experienced, there is a small section in the R&A rule book but not many read it. when was the last time u saw the TV showed someone shouted 'Fore' after a wayward shot?? so, the tv, the more experienced folks out there are to be blamed (not just the offenders), and for the new comers to the game, I only wish they show the same enthusiasm in learning the rules and etiquette as in their golf swings.

golf is not all abt golf swings. knowing the rules and etiquette is 50% of the fun and we must understand tht they are there to ensure fair play and safety for all.

golf is dangerous, I personally know of 2 members fr my club tht got hit by a golf ball, 1 is now blind on his right eye and has successfully sued a guy for nearly S$4m, the other guy got hit on his leg and again sued a guy for hospital bills and personal injury for around S$80k. they both still play golf to these days.

so guys, respect others' right and safety. You achieve nothing for being 'stupidly brave'

p/s although I did not witness this but I hav heard fr other club members that there have been cases where members had been expelled from the golf club or banned for a short period for consistently disregards of rules and etiquette.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 8:05 pm

Botttomline......

DO Not do unto Others , What you do not want Others to Do OnTo You.....

Peace!!!!

........Just Me ' D '
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 9:19 pm

My Story:

Playing at SCC on Saturday. Was at Hole 1 Par 5. For those who plays there before, will notice that the 2nd shot is uphill and will not be able to see the green (hence, anyone still on green). When my flight was on green, I notice a buggy driving up to 100m mark which people on buggy can see the green clearly.

The next moment, I heard Fore and a ball roll off the Green a few metres from us. Later a guy drive forward to apologise. He claimed that the guy in the buggy (at 100 metre mark told him clear to go). I said "BUt if you are going for the green, he should still clarify that there is no person on green."

He claimed that he did not know he could hit so far. What a stupid excuse. Lucky managed to calm down and still get my Par Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Golf Etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Etiquette   Golf Etiquette I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf Etiquette
Page 1 of 1