Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

question on wedge setup

Go down 
+20
s-killer
ranctor
andrew-golf
toonified
yanhaotiong
chien
Nam Flog
akhild
Derek
pocketace
kyleyann
Turbo
chip_munkie
righthook
willytan
kissthegreen
ChrisD
Duval_S
Gray
danielleecm
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

question on wedge setup Empty
PostSubject: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 1:47 pm

hi, sorry if this question has been asked before.
Wanna know from expert here what are the usual wedge setup for them and why?

Example:
50-56-60 setup
50- 100m approach
56- 75m approach
60- 50m...

i know its very individual but let consider a avg swing speed of 70-90 player profile as a baseline... Thanks and hope to hear the advise of people around....
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 2:05 pm

mine is every 4 deg gap

Full Swing
PW 44* - 110m
AW 48* - 100m
AAW 52* - 90m
SW 56* - 80m

difference is +/- 5m per wedge depending on how well I strike it (exclude topped or duffed shots)

Below 80m, its all guess work at the moment as I haven't worked out the 3/4 and 1/2 swing for my new set of wedges yet. Will do so within the next 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 2:07 pm

I am not an expert but just a seasoned beginner. Hope u ok with me.commenting

My setup
51 deg for anything below 60m
Sandwedge..only to get out of sand bunker
Pw 48deg..anything fm 90m and below

I am more of infantry type of.golfer..meaning my ball stay close to.ground as much as possible. Some of my frens are air force golfer....hit si.pek.high flop shot
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 2:13 pm

I will make sure the wedge don't fly aeroplane. Usually 52
Gives me 80m, but if wedge fly aeroplane,sometime it doesnt arrive on green.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 2:43 pm

ChrisD wrote:
I will make sure the wedge don't fly aeroplane. Usually 52
Gives me 80m, but if wedge fly aeroplane,sometime it doesnt arrive on green.

Huh? Your wedge brand is MAS MH370??? lol!
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Gray wrote:
mine is every 4 deg gap

Full Swing
PW 44* - 110m
AW 48* - 100m
AAW 52* - 90m
SW 56* - 80m

difference is +/- 5m per wedge depending on how well I strike it (exclude topped or duffed shots)

Below 80m, its all guess work at the moment as I haven't worked out the 3/4 and 1/2 swing for my new set of wedges yet. Will do so within the next 2 weeks.

My wedges' distances quite sama sama with Gray..
I personally don't do full swing with wedges cos the last thing I want to have (esp. with a narrower stance) is excessive/unecessary body movements when I play wedges. Also, i think creativity (still finding mine) is needed in situations when for the same wedge-distances, you have uneven lies, thick grasses, etc..
From the fringe, I do ocassionally use my 5/6 iron to give some bounce/roll if the ball is on a good lie.
Like to watch likes of phil and sergio, who are really good at their short games...
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 3:15 pm

Bro, 

I m like you, below is my setup.

Distance
PW - 100m
AW (52*) - 70 - 80m
55* - 60 - 70m
59* - 40 - 50m

Anything under 40m will be using PW or 9i for chip n run.
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 3:19 pm

hi bros, thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
righthook
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
righthook

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 3:29 pm

interesting topic Idea 

could you share what shaft are on your wedges?

believe the length also contributes? Question
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
chip_munkie

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 4:39 pm

I have a pretty similar setup as well.

PW 46 - 100 - 110
51* - 80 - 90m
55* 60 - 70m
60* 50 and less..

Least used is 60* cuz very error prone.. Mostly on sand dunes.. Length of my wedge should be 35.5 +-
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 4:40 pm

Gray wrote:
mine is every 4 deg gap

Full Swing
PW 44* - 110m
AW 48* - 100m
AAW 52* - 90m
SW 56* - 80m

Your PW has very strong loft ... Must be those new gen irons ... Traditionally, PW is around 46 - 48 deg ...
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 5:54 pm

righthook wrote:
interesting topic Idea 

could you share what shaft are on your wedges?

believe the length also contributes? Question

kbs hi rev shaft...
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 5:59 pm

I carry only 3 wedges with 6 deg gap.

Full swings;

PW 46* - 125m
AW 52* - 100m (12 Deg Bounce, F grind)
SW 58* - 75m   (11 Deg Bounce, K Grind)
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 6:30 pm

You guys are big strong boys!

I'm in awe ...

If I topped my pw, maybe can go past 100m...
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Something to consider ... while the norm is a 4 deg gap in lofts for irons ... you might want to consider reducing the gap in loft between the PW and the AW if you want a consistent gap between your 9i/PW/AW ... this is more so if there is a big difference between the shafts on your PW and your AW (which is likely to be a stiffer steel shaft)

If the shafts are similar, then consider that a wedge clubhead is likely to be less forgiving ...

Another thing to consider is whether you need consistent 10m gaps between all the clubs right down to the SW.  After all, a SW is designed to be used in the sand, and the bounce of the club might not be that great for playing full shots off tight lies.

Finally, about the best thing you can do for yourself is, borrow a couple of wedges from your friends that you are interested in, go to a short exec course, and play it only with wedges.  You will soon get a sense of which wedges give you better performance both with full swings and partial swings.  If there are bunkers, throw a few balls in there as well and give it a go.

Like putters and drivers, wedges are intensely personal ... what works for one may not work for another.

Perhaps instead of thinking of full swing distances when choosing wedges, try looking at it from an angle of what type of wedges (or brands) will make it easier for you to play (and control) partial shots into the green. I would imagine that you would be playing a lot more shots from 20m-60m (the common distance us hackers will miss the green by) instead of the 80m-120m range covered by full swings with wedges.

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
akhild
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
akhild

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Mine is 44, 51, 55, 599( and 64.. Its a personal thing
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Derek,

Thanks for the advise.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 9:04 pm

I cannot agree more with Derek.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 9:44 pm

While you guys are talking about the wedges and distances. . I just realized I only have 2 wedges, sometimes even only 1 in my bag. . Anybody selling his favorite wedge?   Laughing
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 12:40 am

47* PW    Full ~ 125m
52* AW    Full ~ 105m
56* SW    Full ~ 85m
60* LW    Full ~ 70m

Normally will hit the following distance unless shot requires a full shot.

52* 90m
56* 75m
60* 60m

Play dynamic gold in all my irons x100s from 4-PW and s400s for the rest of the wedges.
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 8:04 am

A full swing in my PW (45deg) gets me 100-110.

Anything 90 and below... I exclusively use my AW (50deg).

If I need 90, I go 1/2 swing with normal force.
If I need 75, I go 1/2 swing with normal force, gripping my shaft all the way down.
If I need 50, I go 1/2 swing with a much slower and controlled swing while gripping down all the way.

Anything in between and lower goes with feel.

My 56 deg is purely for bunker shots..
And my 60deg is purely when I need the height to carry over a tree/bush or front pin flag w bunker in between...

I never use full swings for my 50/56/60, only half swings as I feel more in control this way. Full swings gets me more duffed shots and less consistency, at the same time doesn't help with distance.

Hope 2cents from a newbie helps  Smile
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 9:37 am

Derek wrote:
Something to consider ... while the norm is a 4 deg gap in lofts for irons ... you might want to consider reducing the gap in loft between the PW and the AW if you want a consistent gap between your 9i/PW/AW ... this is more so if there is a big difference between the shafts on your PW and your AW (which is likely to be a stiffer steel shaft)

If the shafts are similar, then consider that a wedge clubhead is likely to be less forgiving ...

Another thing to consider is whether you need consistent 10m gaps between all the clubs right down to the SW.  After all, a SW is designed to be used in the sand, and the bounce of the club might not be that great for playing full shots off tight lies.

Finally, about the best thing you can do for yourself is, borrow a couple of wedges from your friends that you are interested in, go to a short exec course, and play it only with wedges.  You will soon get a sense of which wedges give you better performance both with full swings and partial swings.  If there are bunkers, throw a few balls in there as well and give it a go.

Like putters and drivers, wedges are intensely personal ... what works for one may not work for another.

Perhaps instead of thinking of full swing distances when choosing wedges, try looking at it from an angle of what type of wedges (or brands) will make it easier for you to play (and control) partial shots into the green. I would imagine that you would be playing a lot more shots from 20m-60m (the common distance us hackers will miss the green by) instead of the 80m-120m range covered by full swings with wedges.

Well said but missed out one of my pet peeve. My wedges must be the same set, same brand same color of the same model. Nothing to it. I am vain and I just have to look good and complete a set. Same for the Drivers and the woods and the hybrids. If you don't play good, might as well look good playing.

Distance etc comes second.

At anytime, my bag will max have 4 brands - Woods, Irons, wedges, putter (balls and shafts not incld)
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 10:06 am

My coach asked me to take out my 60deg as it's the Most error prone wedge
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 10:14 am

andrew-golf wrote:
My coach asked me to take out my 60deg as it's the Most error prone wedge

ya true, using a 60 degree may cause more error but maybe a 59degree with lower bounce may help?
Back to top Go down
ranctor
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ranctor

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 1:23 pm

my 60degree is my favourite club and it wear out the most compared to 52 and 56. I like the ball to fly high and land softly compare to land and roll 3-5m away.

next game please remember to pang chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question on wedge setup   question on wedge setup I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

question on wedge setup
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next