Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how to setup one's bag???

Go down 
+16
Technospaz
Khorkar
asahi
kian
klt8144
zhenxua
pushslice
mloy
hoppie
blee67
duffader
golfool2009
Master
pocketace
andrew-golf
Duval_S
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

how to setup one's bag??? Empty
PostSubject: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:35 pm

I was just looking at the various configuration in the WIMB thread.....wah...I feel so left out and 2nd class.

Question: What should one consider in terms of setting up one's bag ?

for me, I don really pay attention to what are the clubs I need to suit my game.

Lets start with the std ones:

1. Of course, need driver....carry 180 m.

2. Hybrid ...I have 2 ....one to enable me to carry 150+m..and then other to carry 140m..

3. Irons.....# 5 - #9.....I have a bloody mental habit .....I have the tendency to choke down or play knock down (my version) and such don really max out my distance ....between the #6-#9, its to cover distance fm 140m to say...80m.

4. Wedges....is PW, 51deg (donno what to call) and 57deg (donno if this is AW,SW or what)...to cover distance fm 100m to anything below.

Presently I am trying to get some total distance off my 4 wood....the carry is still around 150-160m..but total distance is longer than my hybrid...around 170m

any comment to my setup is most appreciated.

BTW, I have only one set...

yours humbly....just me 'D' (SB)
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Errrr...

1. Driver tht works
2. 3 wood that can replace driver, but with more control in dispersion
3. 4 or 5 wood for long par 4s or par 5s
4. Hybrid for getting out of rough
5. Irons 4-PW or 5-PW
6. 52 deg for approach wedge 100m to 70m and for chipping
7. 58 deg for sand bunker and any distance below 70m
8. Putter tht can sink the ball even with a lousy swing? no la joke. any putter that cna give u max 2 putts
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 1:05 pm

set up your bag to your playing abilities so as to max up the usage for the 14 clubs

I've seen some bags where people put 3iron with no intention (or no ability) to hit it any better or further than a 5iron

andrew-golf's set up is pretty much what I have too, except that I have a 4-wedge system which I feel is easier for weekend hackers like myself

PW - 90-100m
AW - 80-90m
SW - 70-80m
LW - 60-70m (theoretical distance only cos I entrust this club mainly for getting out of greenside bunkers)

dun worry too much bout distance as some will hit it longer or shorter. Just use the clubs to space out your yardages so that they are manageable for your game

hope it helps!
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 1:08 pm

ya... distance not that important

i feel wedges are the most crucial.. i used to have 4 wedges too.. den i got confused.. den i forgot to bring 1 wedge.. den i ended up jus 52 n 58.. den i forget my 3 iron.. den i remember my 7 wood..

aiyah.. so confused.. jus hit the ball.. hahhahaaa
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 1:24 pm

actually bag set up should be done to complement your playing style.. hence i don't believe there's any hard and fast rule to bag set-up or that you should maybe follow someone or the pros...

it is mainly just trying to see how u play your game and ensuring that you have the appropriate clubs to ensure you play your best game given your playing style.

e.g. if i always drive to 40 yards for the green, i just need driver and more wedges
e.g. if i always drive to fairway and leave myself 180 yards, but my 2nd shot always on, then more hybrid less wedges...

that kind of thing.. of cos the above is just an example.

this is just my friendly 1.245 cents worth. thanks
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Duval, I have some special insight into your setup given that we share the same short-ass swing with the same short-ass results....<in fact, was told by a pro yesterday that I should be playing from either white or even red tees>

All I can say is that hybrids are your friend....damn easy to hit...i resisted putting a 5H into my bag for a long time but I freaking love it...now when I need to hit a 160m I just whip it out and am hitting it more consistently than ever before (well, at least no more dribbling it 100m with my 5i) ...if only i could swallow my pride and put a 6H in!!!!!

Playing with the big boys (DG, sham and punkrock) yesterday, I can tell you that it is indeed humbling to always be hitting first and pulling out woods and hybrids when they have irons in their hands....but, it's really about playing with clubs that suit your swing and comfort level, as posted by Master, pocketace, etc.....
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 3:07 pm

There is nothing to be ashame of what's in the bag in my opinion. As long as it can get what you need. I played with one ah pek before, i think his bag only 10-11 clubs including putter at t.puteri. He is definitely much shorter than you guys. but he came back, 6 over. He told me he gave up on distance like 12 years ago cos he got some physical limitation, but his short game.... everything less than 80m, confirm 1 putt. At one point, i was suspecting that he have a tailsman somewhere in his bag. I still remember he birdie one 170m par 3. He tee off with a driver, low running shot like a top shot. So he ended up 8 ft from the hole. Then he showed me again, tee off, with driver, 10ft. scary... that was the day i forget about distance and work hard on short game.
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Everyone seems to have a story about meeting some ah pek on the course who plays to a single h'cap...i too have met my fair share of low scoring ah peks especially at my home course... there was even one old guy who swore he couldn't see his ball after hitting...so i would be his lookout....best part is, instead of looking down the fairway, he would always turn around to me and ask "where is it?"....i got bored of saying "middle of the fairway"......after a while i kicked the blind man's ball into the woods....<joking!!>

i wonder whether there are that many good ah pek golfers or is there one low shooting ah pek golfer roaming golf courses showing the young punks their foolishness in chasing distance.....?!?!?!?!!

damn ah peks!!!!! wish they would leave me alone with my silly fantasies instead of highlighting my foolishness...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 3:51 pm

golfool2009 wrote:
Everyone seems to have a story about meeting some ah pek on the course who plays to a single h'cap...i too have met my fair share of low scoring ah peks especially at my home course... there was even one old guy who swore he couldn't see his ball after hitting...so i would be his lookout....best part is, instead of looking down the fairway, he would always turn around to me and ask "where is it?"....i got bored of saying "middle of the fairway"......after a while i kicked the blind man's ball into the woods....<joking!!>

i wonder whether there are that many good ah pek golfers or is there one low shooting ah pek golfer roaming golf courses showing the young punks their foolishness in chasing distance.....?!?!?!?!!

damn ah peks!!!!! wish they would leave me alone with my silly fantasies instead of highlighting my foolishness...... Very Happy

Speaking from a guy that plays off a 4 hcp...

GF, you are not the only one using a 7 wood.. me too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 pm

duffader wrote:
There is nothing to be ashame of what's in the bag in my opinion. As long as it can get what you need. I played with one ah pek before, i think his bag only 10-11 clubs including putter at t.puteri. He is definitely much shorter than you guys. but he came back, 6 over. He told me he gave up on distance like 12 years ago cos he got some physical limitation, but his short game.... everything less than 80m, confirm 1 putt. At one point, i was suspecting that he have a tailsman somewhere in his bag. I still remember he birdie one 170m par 3. He tee off with a driver, low running shot like a top shot. So he ended up 8 ft from the hole. Then he showed me again, tee off, with driver, 10ft. scary... that was the day i forget about distance and work hard on short game.

Wow this Ah Pek story damn good sia! I think i wanna go buy a 5H already, contemplating to make a 4i but seems to hit better with my 3H which carry 170+m on good hit, for 150 to 160 i always kena badly Sad Try 5i and it always short Sad

5H for 4i or 4H for 4i?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Let me try to recall his golf bag

Driver
5wd
7wd
9wd
5 iron
7 iron
9 iron
PW x 2 (one long one short)
SW
Putter
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:08 pm

On the topic about Ah Pek. My partner & I were playing in Chiang Mai when we met this Ah Pek and his friend. They asked politely if they could join flight with us and we said sure why not. At the first tee box we were like Wow! old man can hit, not far but damn straight. As we played along we started talking and he converse to us in Mandarin though he is a Thai. Friendly old man I must say. I was curious and asked his age. He told me that he is 75 years old. I was like dumbfounded. I told myself that I hope when I am 75 years old I can still move around what more play golf. LOL!

By the way it was a walking course. Salute to him.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:11 pm

Topic OFF
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:13 pm

@blee.....if you persist in taking my career game and continue to drag my reputation through the mud, i will have no choice but to tie you to the back of the buggy and drag YOU through the mud in our next game.... Twisted Evil

@hoppie...the number on the hybrid typically corresponds to the number of the iron...i.e. 5H=5i, 4H=4i, etc.....

Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:14 pm

Duffy. you started and you end it. Good job!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:17 pm

mloy wrote:
Duffy. you started and you end it. Good job!!!!!!

I wanted to put the ah pek's witb but i press the send too fast, so i end it with his bag setup. Smile
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:19 pm

golfool2009 wrote:
@blee.....if you persist in taking my career game and continue to drag my reputation through the mud, i will have no choice but to tie you to the back of the buggy and drag YOU through the mud in our next game.... Twisted Evil

I don't believe! Razz
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:34 pm

mloy wrote:
golfool2009 wrote:

I don't believe! Razz

Erm, GF, when are we having a game? i have not played in the same flight with you before lei.. Mloy, how? want to join in and be witness to his score?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Quote :
blee2007 wrote:
mloy wrote:
golfool2009 wrote:

I don't believe! Razz

Erm, GF, when are we having a game? i have not played in the same flight with you before lei.. Mloy, how? want to join in and be witness to his score?

2nd week of Mar.....weekday....MBGC or OCC ????

can let me know what is the application process as I wil like to submit mine?
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
blee2007 wrote:
mloy wrote:
golfool2009 wrote:

I don't believe! Razz

2nd week of Mar.....weekday....MBGC or OCC ????

can let me know what is the application process as I wil like to submit mine?

A bit more OT here then. For you, straight in, no application required. Swee Boh?
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:41 pm

golfool2009 wrote:

@hoppie...the number on the hybrid typically corresponds to the number of the iron...i.e. 5H=5i, 4H=4i, etc.....

Okok! Now i get it Razz

Anyone here know about Kasco numbering? Does 33 means replacing 3i even the loft is 16" ?

I have 1 Kasco 33 which i bought donkey years back before i bought a 3FW but just curious what it replace Razz
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:50 pm

@blee2007 & duval: What's wrong with a weekend? I'm runnning out of child care leave...but if u want weekday also can....how abt nite golf?

@hoppie: i'm not familiar with the kasco naming convention but 16* on a hybrid is prob a 2 iron replacement....19* is usually a 3i replacement...but i guess it also depends on the length of the club...

as with all topics, it has evolved (degenerated?) into a match up discussion....in this case though it was the OP that went OT so it's OK !!!!
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:56 pm

blee2007 wrote:
mloy wrote:
golfool2009 wrote:

I don't believe! Razz

Sure why not. Weekend? Just let me know when.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 5:03 pm

golfool2009 wrote:
@blee2007 & duval: What's wrong with a weekend? I'm runnning out of child care leave...but if u want weekday also can....how abt nite golf?

@hoppie: i'm not familiar with the kasco naming convention but 16* on a hybrid is prob a 2 iron replacement....19* is usually a 3i replacement...but i guess it also depends on the length of the club...

as with all topics, it has evolved (degenerated?) into a match up discussion....in this case though it was the OP that went OT so it's OK !!!!

weekend ok with me ah at OCC... Twisted Evil ROFL
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 5:06 pm

March 13th please? Can I join OCC weekend?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to setup one's bag???   how to setup one's bag??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to setup one's bag???
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next