Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Floating" the driver head at address / setup

Go down 
+5
Duval_S
asahi
blee67
S70B
Winston
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

"Floating" the driver head at address / setup Empty
PostSubject: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 2:55 am

Hi All,

Just to seek some opinions on the above.

For the past 9 months, I have been addressing the ball with my driver with the driver resting on the green, with about the 1/2 the ball visible above the crown of the driver. I have been hiiting the ball high and losing distance. It happen to be because my left shoulder comes up very fast. I managed to "fix" it but I still lose distance.

On Friday i tried something different.

at address, with the ball height still the same, just before my back swing, I lift the driver head about 1/2 inch above the ground,( I achieve this by straightening my wrist, which results in the driver head lifting off the ground) waggle a bit, backswing and hit the ball. the flight of the ball seems more penetrating and carry alone seems further. Tried this will all my hybrids and wood and it seems to be better.

Anyone does the same as me?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 4:15 am

I hover my clubhead at address when playing golf. All clubs.

I learnt it eons ago reading Greg Norman's book on how it will promote a smooth takeaway and prevent 'snatching' at the start.

Back then, persimmon woods were the hot choice of players but the habit has stuck with me all these years that I barely am aware of it anymore.

It wun do my ball flight or traj any different than when I ground my club. I have tried. All it helps is my tempo which isn't a bad thing to do.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 8:50 am

Hi Winston, A flightmate of mine does that all the time. It seems to work for him. Like you, his ball flight is also low and penetrating. I tried it but do not seem to work as I think to push the ball.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 9:50 am

I thot tis hovering was to ease off tension, relax the swing.....did not know there's such an effect.
Thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 10:02 am

I do that...for driver and even for putting. At least for me, the whole idea is not to duff the driver and putter.....
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 11:00 am

Cool...will experiment this week.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 11:08 am

S70B wrote:
I hover my clubhead at address when playing golf. All clubs.

I learnt it eons ago reading Greg Norman's book on how it will promote a smooth takeaway and prevent 'snatching' at the start.

Hi S708,

Thanks. Just to check, does your club head touch the ground just before the start of the back swing? I see many hover the club at address, and just before the back swing, the club head touches the ground for a split second before they start the back swing.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 11:12 am

Winston wrote:
Hi All,

.... le a bit, backswing and hit the ball. the flight of the ball seems more penetrating and carry alone seems further. Tried this will all my hybrids and wood and it seems to be better.

Anyone does the same as me?

I do hover my driver and it does give me a sense of smooth tempo of takeaway ( fyi, my takeaway is very slow Embarassed ) However, sometime when I got tired around the 16th holes, My hand shake when I hover my driver Heeee Very Happy

I never try on my wood (without tee) as I already having problem hitting my wood solid .. If I am going hover it, it will give me a feeling that I am going "top" the ball for sure.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 11:16 am

Some age old advice is timeless.

This is the article I was talking about. It has stayed with me for more than 15yrs.

http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/instruction/lesson15.php

PS: Notice his driver is persimmon. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 11:16 am

asahi wrote:
I thot tis hovering was to ease off tension, relax the swing.....did not know there's such an effect.
Thanks for sharing

Hi Asahi, just some additional info regarding ball position for driver,

Using the above method of hovering the club head of the driver, when I place the ball on the inside of my left foot, I tend to draw the ball, if I place the ball in between my left leg and centre of body, I get a "straight" flight.

I think my driver specs has something to do with it. I am using a 9.5* driver.

Please do bear in mind that I am no expert. just trying to get more feedback.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I feel more club weight on my right hand compared to my left hand.

Last edited by Winston on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 11:19 am

S70B wrote:

This is the article I was talking about. It has stayed with me for more than 15yrs.

Hi S708,

Thanks for the link. great reading!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 1:25 pm

Me.... No grounding means if I accidentally push the ball off the tee (which I did in numerous occasions), no penalty stroke incurred (I read it some times ago but can't recall where)
Wink
Back to top Go down
scotty2010
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 1:31 pm

S70B wrote:

Thanks for sharing. And to think that this was 15 years ago...!
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 1:38 pm

You r welcome.

Do check out the rest of his tips. I still practice and follow many of his advices and lessons till this day.

http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/instruction/
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Rex, thanks for sharing. I am trying get a consistent tempo, so far failed miserably. Will give this a try.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Floating" the driver head at address / setup   "Floating" the driver head at address / setup I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Floating" the driver head at address / setup
Page 1 of 1