Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does anyone use a square head driver?

Go down 
+12
golf_snowman
asahi
Ssquirrel
Birdman
eiji
Tloc
golfer
chemicalpro
NAkata6
tronos
starchildten
weaponx
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
weaponx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Does anyone use a square head driver? Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi all, just curious if anyone uses a square driver? i don't seem to see many being used out there? Being the (below?) average golfer who's always fighting the slice... wondering if a square driver will help keep the drive straight? Looking at the Callaway FT-IQ... any thoughts? comments?
Back to top Go down
starchildten
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
starchildten

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 7:00 pm

I have been using it for 1 year. Very easy driver esp for high handicapper (>30) like me :>

No need to have full backswing can hit 150m easily (90% of the time straight). Full backswing can hit >220. Nice sound and feel - subjective thro.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 7:04 pm

read that in 2010 no more square drivers from major companies, only Nike will be releasing them.

i can also slice with square driver so will not help much.....but it seems to help with the consistency.
Back to top Go down
NAkata6
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm using the Nike SQ driver.. honestly, I don't feel any different thou.. I got it was because the nike sq makes a nice sound to me.. lolz..
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 7:18 pm

I use a square driver, 3w and 2hybrid.

A square head has a higher moment of inertia (MOI) as compared to other shaped drivers, which is supposed to have less twisting on off center hits.

In the hands of a better player its straighter but less workable i.e. less easy to fade/draw the ball as compared to the "regular" shaped drivers.

Does it cure a slice? Don't think so. An open face or a swing path that cuts across the ball will still cause a slice. I should know Embarassed
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 7:46 pm

another thing to add, if u are slicing the ball (open face), the square driver will help you CONSISTENTLY slice the ball.

Its helps you to make adjustments to your swing mechanics / grip / stance etc. due to less variations in every swing.

thats 4 me anyway.
Back to top Go down
weaponx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 8:43 pm

hmm... was under the impression that u get straighter balls.. i guess that's prob more due to the fact that the face is slightly closed rather than it being a square head.....

@tronos - consistently slicing sounds like a nightmare already! i rather have a consistent swing and not have to make adjustments all the time!
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 9:03 pm

weaponx wrote:
hmm... was under the impression that u get straighter balls.. i guess that's prob more due to the fact that the face is slightly closed rather than it being a square head.....

@tronos - consistently slicing sounds like a nightmare already! i rather have a consistent swing and not have to make adjustments all the time!

i meant that with a square driver, u will find out your swings faults easier. meaning when u start using it and constantly slice, u can begin to investigate what is causing it. Its hard to self diagnose ur swing if u are hitting it straight, then slice, then fade, then mega slice.
U will be surprise how consistent ur swing actually is (if have outside-in swing, u will consistently swing outside-in etc), its just a accuracy of the swing. The square driver help with the off-center hits
Back to top Go down
weaponx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 pm

ah right... ok.. gotcha!
Back to top Go down
golfer
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 9:45 pm

comparing two square drivers , FTi and Dymo2. i find Dymo2 is so much better...
Back to top Go down
Tloc
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 9:48 pm

weaponx wrote:
ah right... ok.. gotcha!

Change the way you hit or fit a shaft works better.
Back to top Go down
NAkata6
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 11:40 pm

yah, i think the shaft plays an important role..

before I changed to the nike SQ driver, I was using the 08 burner with a 55grams shaft and the feel was amazing.. but after changing to the SQ driver with the standard regular shaft, the feel was totally different..

So to me, using a square or normal head doesn't makes much difference to me..

Just ma 2 cents Smile
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 11:47 pm

Nike Machspeed coming out Mar?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 11:58 pm

i believe for slicers, it might be better to get a head that is more close at setup or weighting is more draw bias to promote a more inside square inside swing path
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 1:28 am

To add on to eiji, note that a closed face and draw biased club are two different things, and they may but do not necessarily go hand in hand.

You may have a driver with a face closed 2 degrees at address with no draw bias and another may be draw biased with a square face at address.

Some like to actually see a closed face at address which then gives them the confidence not to slice on top of the actual draw effect. Others prefer a square face at address for clean alignment, but still want some game improvement built in, thus the draw bias.

Moving weight toward the heel (draw bias) helps produce a right-to-left trajectory because it allows two things to happen, according to Benoit Vincent, TaylorMade's chief technical officer. "Left-right correction is a combination of the CG being closer to the shaft axis, which causes the head to close easier," he says. "The second is gear effect where center-face hits also have draw spin because the CG is on the heel-side of the impact location."
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 8:35 am

Birdman wrote:

Moving weight toward the heel (draw bias) helps produce a right-to-left trajectory because it allows two things to happen, according to Benoit Vincent, TaylorMade's chief technical officer. "Left-right correction is a combination of the CG being closer to the shaft axis, which causes the head to close easier," he says. "The second is gear effect where center-face hits also have draw spin because the CG is on the heel-side of the impact location."

Too cheem... still sounds like marketing to me..

Anyway, I feel that bringing the CG closer to the shaft axis lowers the MOI about the shaft thereby allowing the golfer to rotate the clubface around easier on the downswing is more of a contributing factor than the gear effect.

However I find it hard to believe that a few grams like the TM weight ports are enough to really do the job. I would think you'd need to position about 30% of the clubhead weight to be moved about to see/feel the effect or maybe 35-45gm of weight?

Hahaha..I just type out some technobabble which I have no idea what it means ..... FORE... albino
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 8:41 am

I most definitely concur my dear Ssquirrel...

I always say that when I have been utterly dumbfounded and confused by the likes of secret agent types in long trench coats whispering away surrepitiously into hidden microphones inserted into auditory orifices.

ROFL
Back to top Go down
weaponx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 9:01 am

thanks guys. interesting information! i've kinda observed that the closed clubface and the draw bias are 2 seperate things... understand the shaft aspect as well ...

the square clubhead has a greater MOI, and is more forgiving for off centre hits.. but, it is also marketed as longer and straighter! key word being straighter.... im just wondering, since all the average golfer is looking for a straighter drive, and not looking at workability, why don't more ppl get square head drivers and bomb away? or does the shape of the head not matter much at all?

@ssquirrel - damn cheeem, but kinda get what you are driving at.. haha.. tried a tour burner with draw bias before... couldnt tell the difference!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 9:16 am

For me, I just find square head drivers weird looking hence not considering such driver, even if they promote straighter drives.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 9:22 am

weaponx wrote:
thanks guys. interesting information! i've kinda observed that the closed clubface and the draw bias are 2 seperate things... understand the shaft aspect as well ...

the square clubhead has a greater MOI, and is more forgiving for off centre hits.. but, it is also marketed as longer and straighter! key word being straighter.... im just wondering, since all the average golfer is looking for a straighter drive, and not looking at workability, why don't more ppl get square head drivers and bomb away? or does the shape of the head not matter much at all?

@ssquirrel - damn cheeem, but kinda get what you are driving at.. haha.. tried a tour burner with draw bias before... couldnt tell the difference!

hi,

recently i just change my driver to FT-I, which has a label stated it is "draw", so i would assume that this driver has a "Draw bias" setup.

I slice my ball using my previous driver and my initial thought was to get a either "draw bias" driver or a "close face" driver that could helps to improve the situation.

At the end, i would say, it did not really improve the slicing, i still slice my ball just as what i did using the old driver. A friend of mine has given me some advise on my setup and swing and this has much more greater impact in resolving the slicing issue.

However, i would say the high MOI of a square head driver is much more forgiving and launch ball much more easier.

Thus, my slice issue can be manage thru improving my setup and swing, and the square head club helps to launch the ball easier.

Snowman[left]
Back to top Go down
RJNG
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
RJNG

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 9:50 am

FTi rocks!

Just love the sound when hitting it. It have solved my slicing issue due to the draw head.

Now just can't hit with my the other R7 460 driver. (resting peacefully in my storeroom) Laughing
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 9:53 am

I used to play with the Nike 5900 square driver. Loud as heck. The shape was meant to give stability and consistency in the swing to help wayward (read "slice") shots.

Didn't quite work for me.

I've come to realize that draw-biased drivers or similar square shape drivers do provide some assistance to chronic slicers like myself but really, it all boils down to fixing the swing.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:35 am

think this is a fab thing......nowadays, seldom see anymore square head......although during some of my games, I was called Square head, D#$$-head, C@$%-head, S#$%-head
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:48 am

Just a reminder here and take note. "IT IS THE INDIAN AND NOT THE ARROW."

And just like my old pal Ssquirrel always advised me " HIT HARD LOOK UP !! " but if it does not work please avoid it like poison and on the other hand make sure you SELL this advice to your flight mates whom you are betting against with lol!

Titu Swing

PS Tks SS kekekekekekekkek Peace
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 12:04 pm

hi spiderman

yes, totally agree with that phrase...that's what i friend told me also....it make felt so guilty for not improving my swing...keke

snowman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use a square head driver?   Does anyone use a square head driver? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use a square head driver?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next