Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vokey wedge question

Go down 
+5
Winston
DGman
helmeahmad
shorthitter
marlin74
9 posters
AuthorMessage
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Vokey wedge question Empty
PostSubject: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 9:29 pm

I have a vokey 48 degree wedge that I like very much. Loads of spin and great control. The only setback is I am not getting as much distance as I used to on my old stock PW. I was wondering if my 48 degree could be bent to 46 degree. Hope you could tell me if this is possible and how I can go about getting it done by a professionally. Thanks a bunch !
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 9:35 pm

1 or 2 degree bend should not be a problem. Go and see a reputable fitter. What area are you in?
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 9:39 pm

I am in Singapore. In the Bukit Timah area. Any suggestions on who I can see for this and what it will cost ?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 9:46 pm

BFG in Bukit Merah, cannot advise cost but will only take few minutes...

I know Mhd Ali has small shop in Turf City but dont think he has Loft/Lie machine.

Would recommend BFG ....
Back to top Go down
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks shorthitter. I will give them a call after CNY. In the meantime any other suggestions from fellow forumers is welcome ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
helmeahmad
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 10:11 pm

I done my wedge before at laguna torque golf. This guy call Bent do it for. Nice guy and he can give u good advise. After u fixed ur wedge, u can try it the bay. So I think it's worth to go to torque golf at laguna.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Torque Golf definitley can do it, and do it well, but the bloke is in Bukit Timah.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 11:49 pm

its not advisable to bend a 48 PW to 45 degree...there may too much shift in the bounce.

technician will do what you want to them to do. a responsible fitter should advise. there lies the difference.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 11:52 pm

DGman wrote:
its not advisable to bend a 48 PW to 45 degree...there may too much shift in the bounce.

technician will do what you want to them to do. a responsible fitter should advise. there lies the difference.

DGman

Hi DGman

Just to check...if doing the opposite...dending a 45 to say a 46, can the bounce be grinded down?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 12:10 am

yes for both situation, some alterations to the sole can be achieve by grinding or bending in a different way.

the next question is are you prepared to get a 50 degree to replace your 52 or do you want to adjust all your wedges and grind those wedges that are 45 degree upwards.

it all depends on the set-make of the golfer and remember the purpose of adjusting loft is to fill a certain gap or achieve certain shot making.

so talk to your fitter and ask him for his advise and solution.

personally while its doable, i would not recommend changing the loft by 3 degrees without first measuring the current bounce.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 12:27 am

Hi DGman...

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it...
Back to top Go down
Titleist
Titleist Staff
Titleist

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 9:05 am

marlin74 wrote:
I have a vokey 48 degree wedge that I like very much. Loads of spin and great control. The only setback is I am not getting as much distance as I used to on my old stock PW. I was wondering if my 48 degree could be bent to 46 degree. Hope you could tell me if this is possible and how I can go about getting it done by a professionally. Thanks a bunch !

Hi Marlin,

Any change in loft has a direct effect on bounce and to a lesser degree offset. Through custom orders we will go 1 degree either way only as our wedges are in 2 deg increments so we don't need to go further. If you already own a wedge we would not suggest going any more than 2 deg and that might be pushing it. If you do and you decided to grind the sole to take off some bounce remember that all wedges except Oil Can are chromed and thus grinding will result in a breach of the chrome and exposure of the mild carbon steel thus potential of rust. If you are ok with that then that is fine.

Thanks for posting.

Titleist, Singapore
Back to top Go down
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:43 pm

I figured the bounce would play a part in this equation but figured that 2 degree would not really make a huge difference. Has anyone out there tried it ? would it really be necessary to grind the sole to adjust bounce ?
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 pm

marlin74 wrote:
Thanks shorthitter. I will give them a call after CNY. In the meantime any other suggestions from fellow forumers is welcome ! Very Happy

you can go see raymond at tradehub21 or jeff goh at golf house. both are good too
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:58 pm

marlin74 wrote:
I figured the bounce would play a part in this equation but figured that 2 degree would not really make a huge difference. Has anyone out there tried it ? would it really be necessary to grind the sole to adjust bounce ?

when it comes to wedges.. 2 is a lot of difference.
Back to top Go down
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks guys ! I will consider my options and then give Big Fish a call or go down and discuss my options. Any idea if they are open already or still closed for the CNY holidays ?
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:34 pm

They are closed till Monday... Sad
Back to top Go down
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks ! That was helpful !
Back to top Go down
scubawun
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:46 am

2 degrees is a big deal.

how about a new wedge! Smile
Back to top Go down
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:57 pm

If Vokey came in 46 degrees I would happily change my wedge .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vokey wedge question   Vokey wedge question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vokey wedge question
Page 1 of 1