Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Keeping the ball flight down. Really?

Go down 
+11
nientsu
Duval_S
haragolfer
zhenxua
pocketace
Pizzaman
neutralgolfer
Derek
kissthegreen
Turbo
chuangyee
15 posters
AuthorMessage
chuangyee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Keeping the ball flight down. Really? Empty
PostSubject: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 10:52 pm

I have heard this from many golfers I play with who use mb and player irons. Most of them can hardly manage a good clean shot let alone attack a bunker guarded pin with a low spinny approach shot from afar. They can hardly hit the proper distances. Of course I am not talking about wedge approach shots and I have seen my fair share of half swing high spin approach shots. I have also played with many low handicappers with the most forgiving of irons.

Why penalise yourself with the bladed irons and player CBs when you can hit proper distances with game improvement clubs? And why keep the shots low where proper spin control is paramount in long distance approach shot?

I often have to deal with estimating the wind effects with high shots though. Can someone explain if keep the ball flight down is really what we want to achieve in an iron shot? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 10:59 pm

It depends on the situation at that point in time ... If there is a strong head on wind, it is ideal to do a knockdown iron shot. If there is no wind against your ball flight, it is ideal to produce pin high approach iron shot so that the ball can land softly ...
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 11:46 pm

Chuangyee, it's common sight at range as well. I see recreational golfers with recreational swing but armed with fancy player irons and woods shafted with tour performance, and  either spraying balls all around or with much less yardage that are expected of those clubs. Anyway, I think its a matter of preference ( and certainly not performance in my view) and perhaps having nice clubs are mental boosting techniques.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:16 am

Which is easier i wonder ....

Knockdown 8 iron or half swing 6 iron ....

But what do i know, i dun even have a handicap
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 10:20 am

imho, it's always better to hit high soft landing shots, easier to control distance and have bite.
If strong wind, then up 1-2 more club. If no more club to up, then just pray hard that the wind will stop when you hit it.  What a Face 

Distance for Knock down shots is very unpredictable... it can roll over green or roll left and right, depending on the ground conditions, uneven or uphill.

Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Pizzaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Pizzaman

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 10:34 am

ever see a youtube clip of TW explaining how he control ball flight. Swinging the club waist high, chest high & over the head to manipulate the ball flights accordingly. He also control distances with his ball flight (high ball flight for longer yardage). It is amazing how he is able to work the ball with ease.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 10:44 am

That is why Tiger is World No. 1

Rest of us are just hackers with a day job

Beer
Back to top Go down
chuangyee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Pizzaman wrote:
ever see a youtube clip of TW explaining how he control ball flight. Swinging the club waist high, chest high & over the head to manipulate the ball flights accordingly. He also control distances with his ball flight (high ball flight for longer yardage). It is amazing how he is able to work the ball with ease.
Pizzaman, do you have the link for this clip?

I saw home hit the high spin wedge shots in real life at Mines before and it was amazing.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:39 pm

golf is about course management

knowing when not to attack the pin is more important than deciding on the shot that you want to make
Back to top Go down
chuangyee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:51 pm

zhenxua wrote:

knowing when not to attack the pin is more important than deciding on the shot that you want to make
Thanks man. Your quote is going into my book
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 11:18 pm

zhenxua wrote:

Like x10
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 7:13 am

Bro ZX...but if need to attack...how do u decide if low or high flted ball?
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 8:49 am

if you are able to control your ball flight, i think you are rather accomplished already. The rest of us are just trying to get our shots straight with a consistent distance.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:23 am

For controlling trajectory, I don't think it is an issue of CB vs MB vs Game improvement.
Rather, this is about club selection.

A simple example:
if you have a 60m approach shot, would you use a 7i, gap or sand wedge?
You can still get it on with different trajectories and spin.

My 2 baht worth.  cheers
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:23 am

nientsu wrote:
if you are able to control your ball flight, i think you are rather accomplished already. The rest of us are just trying to get our shots straight with a consistent distance.

Totally agree... Just wanna get the dam ball ON !

Btw, Most of the pros have very high ball flights.. Be it 5 iron or P or even woods.  Purpose is to drop down with minimum roll.. Especially on slick greens, when the ball drops near the pin (which they can do it) they don't want it to roll off..

cheers
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:39 am

Agree with flashpacker on the type of club no link with ball flight. Club loft, ball position at address, your golf swing and maybe shaft makes a difference. The other question you asking is why blade when you can have a easier time with game improving irons. Why bother with what other is using? Golfers usually backside quite itchy one.
Back to top Go down
chuangyee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Actually I have new perspective now having tried the Ping nflight fitting station. 

I thought my shots are already high launching, really, but they are still at the lower arch of what was suppose to be the ideal launch arch (though considered within the ideal range). I also read somewhere that pros shots are high. Seem like high or low can be quite subjective also.

Anyway, those guys I saw hitting low are perhaps hitting way too low and too short as a result.
Back to top Go down
Pizzaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Pizzaman

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 9:57 am

chuangyee wrote:
Pizzaman wrote:
Pizzaman, do you have the link for this clip?

I saw home hit the high spin wedge shots in real life at Mines before and it was amazing.

bro... I think its some clinic conducted with Anthony Kim. Can't seems to find it now... lol ... if I can manage to find I will pm you...
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 11:07 am

Happy watching, ballflight control at around 13mins onwards.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Nice video, Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping the ball flight down. Really?   Keeping the ball flight down. Really? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keeping the ball flight down. Really?
Page 1 of 1