Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ball flight

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Ball flight Empty
PostSubject: Ball flight   Ball flight I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi guys, this has been puzzling me since I changed to R9 irons with R flex steel shaft. When trying out the clubs, R9 and R9 Max, at the range I noticed both clubs offers quite a different trajectory. With the R9, it is very much an inverted U while the R9 Max has a more penetrating flight before dropping. Distance wise, the R9 Max seems to offer 5-10m more.

Thus, I would fellow GRians will shed some light on ball flight. Does penetrating ball flight really offers better distance? Besides club head design, any other factors, such as shafts, changes the ball flight?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Ball flight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball flight   Ball flight I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Wah... you asked a question to which there is no straight answer to... too many variables to take into account. All of which you mentioned, and then some, affects ball flight.

Without looking into the specs of both the R9 and R9 Max, I'll hazard a guess that the Max version has stronger lofts for the same iron number, which probably is the reason for the more penetrating flight and longer distance, although the Max is supposed to produce a higher launch. Like I said earlier above, there are many factors, not only equipment, that can determine ball flight. Best to speak to a club fitter like DGman if you want to get into the nitty gritty of it.

R9 - Game Improvement irons

R9 Max - Super Game Improvement irons.

How to know if an iron set is more for the skilled golfer or newbie to the game?
A good general gauge is to look at the sole width of the iron, the wider the sole, the easier it is to hit. A narrow knife like sole requires a more precise swing which consistently bottoms out at the same point.

Head to the TaylorMade website to better understand the design characteristics of each iron model.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

Ball flight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball flight   Ball flight I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Did r9 max had the same shaft , lie & loft ?
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Ball flight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball flight   Ball flight I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks Birdman and Cyp_PGA. I just checked the website, you guys are correct, both clubs have different lofts and lie. Comparing the 7i spec of both sets (loft/lie), R9 is 35/61.5 while the R9 Max is 32/63. So I guess the main contribution to the difference is the loft.

Besides bending the club to reduce loft, any other ways to get a more penetrative ball flight?
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

Ball flight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball flight   Ball flight I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 6:45 am

get fitted with shaft that allow you maximum distance . i will recomend project x or Dynamic gold are the most penetrating golf shaft. but get fitted will be good . go see big fish or mark higgs , even the taylormade club fitter at cathay is good ...
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Ball flight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball flight   Ball flight I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 am

More distance / lower launch = we can learn how to deloft the club at impact and hit the sweet spot. No scooping.

Practice with the tourstriker, you will see what i mean. Your 7i becomes 6i.
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

Ball flight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball flight   Ball flight I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 8:38 am

1. Understand impact
Know how impact should look like. Body positions, shaft angle, clubface.
2. Learn impact
Use tools and drills to train impact. The tourstriker is indeed an awesome tool
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Ball flight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball flight   Ball flight I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 12:39 pm

I tried tourstriker at the den. It is not easy getting it initially. But together with some tips from DGman and a number of swings with tourstriker, I gained 10m based on Trackman. Too bad, have not gotten myself a tourstriker to practice with it.

I guess the approach to gain better distance and trajectory will be to practice hard with tourstriker and then get fitted after being correct at impact?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ball flight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball flight   Ball flight I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ball flight
Page 1 of 1