Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Irons performance on the course is so different than on range

Go down 
+21
asahi
Doraemon
s-killer
akhild
beehome
bomby
SmOcKxY
willytan
Technospaz
skybobo
angyongshen
Stanix
haragolfer
weesern
Turbo
jason.koh.54966
andrew-golf
herpderp
slinger
Denmeister
Nam Flog
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 1:33 pm

+1 to slinger for his most enlightening post.

And for the school fees I am gonna pay soon! 

Seeya tmr!
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 2:55 pm

s-killer wrote:

how much "school fees" do you intend to contribute?

Razz Razz Razz 

Wah seh……. can accept credit card?
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Doraemon wrote:

You didn't mention what kind of shots you hit in on the green...???

Guessing if you don't take divots, must be topping the ball and sometime got bad slices a lot...???

You hit it on the nail!
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 6:10 pm

skybobo wrote:
Wah walk fire enter dragon, my wife just say this to me yesterday cos she saw me doing practice swing while showering...

It will be more saat if your maid say u walk fire enter dragon!!!

What a Face  What a Face  What a Face
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 6:17 pm

s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:
before u address the ball.... i assume u have a pre-shot routine

whatever your pre-shot routine is... undoubtedly it involves a practise swing

it is here where u do your swing thoughts and whatever u want to work on...

but once i address the ball, my only focus is my target....

there is no more swing thoughts in my head... i have to trust my swing

whatever good or rubbish swing, i only think abt my target, my target and my target

one more time... once i address the ball, i only think abt my target and nothing else, i have to trust my swing

if u are not comfortable with your setup or routine or whatever however what your arms shoulders chest shd be.... suggest u do a mock practise everyday until it becomes a routine

yes, your colleague will throw funny glances at u, strangers think u siao and your wife say u walk fire enter demon...... its ok cos u are not alone, we are here for you

Very Happy  Very Happy  Beer  Beer

Wonderful piece of advice ....

but Si Fu, may i know what exactly do you mean by .... "Think about my target"?

Do you ...

1. Think of the resulting location you want your ball to be

or

2. Think of the ball flight that your ball will travel to roughly where you want the ball to be

or

3. Think of the ball landing point instead of the landing+rolling destination?

I still like to keep my day job.... Just aim fat of green can Liao lah

U so pro meh....

If 5-10m radius of pin, I happy like a boy in Hefner mansion....

Pls lower your expectation a bit..... Then at least u will have more kakis
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 6:33 pm

Nam Flog wrote:
Slinger,

You brought up a good point. I don't think about my target. I think about impact and launching the ball. Something I will try next time I go to the range.

The mock routine you mentioned sounds interesting. Can also do it at the range i.e. treat every ball you hit off the range mat like hitting a ball in a game on course?

U shd have simple drills u can do it at home....

Like doing shadow swing against some wall....

Then can check your takeaway, your shoulder turn your wrist cock.... Whatever lah

Such that it becomes 2nd nature when u do your pre shot routine....

Once on the course dun think too much.... Focus on target

Personally, every round I played, I also dun hit pure shots with the swing I want to ingrain but I get away with mistakes with good focus, I can have chicken wing swing but ball still land on green, rubbish par but I take it....

Dun be too hard up, we dun hit 1000 balls a day like pro.... Just manage your mistakes well, then u will play well
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 7:50 pm

i always learn from my sifu slinger

he always teach me "the only swing thought you should have is how to win by 1 stroke"
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 8:52 pm

s-killer wrote:
skybobo wrote:

no need think so much lah.....dun play play and pretend pig eat tiger

i am always the pig that kena eaten by tiger/lion/bear/etc ....

everyone also come and laugh at me, can drive cannot arrive ... everyone just waiting for me at the green while i top/duff/dig the fairway and hockey my way to the green ...  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 

Hey! ! Sounds just like me too! ! Think we gotta have a game together la ! ! At least pigs are not carnivorous, we don't eat each other.. . 

Beer
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 10:10 pm

angyongshen wrote:

For whom that I had the opportunity to play with, they will attest to the fact that I seldom practice swing on course. Haha....
I had a customer in my flight before who doesn't practice swing as well. His reason is assuming 100 strokes a game, plus 2 practice swings before every shot = 300 swings per game. Too laborious to play golf that way i his opinion. Too taxing on the body as well.

So AYS why do you not integrate a practice swing in your routine?
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 10:56 pm

If one has the basic swing, I think it is mainly due to 3 factors; lack of focus, too excited/tense and bad habit such moving the head or move the legs/hip too fast during the downswing. I experienced my worst "off days" on course recently and I need to work hard to minimise my bad habits. Practise on the range with goals, focus on the course and stay relaxed to enjoy this beautiful game.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 12:56 am

Nam Flog wrote:
angyongshen wrote:

For whom that I had the opportunity to play with, they will attest to the fact that I seldom practice swing on course. Haha....
I had a customer in my flight before who doesn't practice swing as well. His reason is assuming 100 strokes a game, plus 2 practice swings before every shot = 300 swings per game. Too laborious to play golf that way i his opinion. Too taxing on the body as well.

Practise swing does not mean you have to really hit hard at full speed as if you're doing an actual shot at the ball ... Practice swing is for you to loosen your body and gather your thoughts to focus at your target ... Juz look at any tour pro, do they really hit very hard versus their actual shot when doing practice swing?

Last edited by Turbo on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 8:51 am

Agree Turbo.

My customer a bit old and doesn't have a conditioned body. Without practice swing, he puncture at last 2 holes. Yup practice swing should be relax and effortless but even so his body needs to turn and rotate all the joints are being exhausted.

Have you tried shadow boxing before? Same theory, relax and just throw into air with no intention to hit , focus on technique and balance, but very tiring cause you are throwing into air. Need a well conditioned body and good stamina to perform 5 to 6 rounds of shadow.
Back to top Go down
junyaoching
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Thats a lot of tips. I also have similar issues on green as compared to 
On greens. My ffriend taught me is dun go for full swing on the green.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Irons performance on the course is so different than on range
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3