Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Irons performance on the course is so different than on range

Go down 
+21
asahi
Doraemon
s-killer
akhild
beehome
bomby
SmOcKxY
willytan
Technospaz
skybobo
angyongshen
Stanix
haragolfer
weesern
Turbo
jason.koh.54966
andrew-golf
herpderp
slinger
Denmeister
Nam Flog
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 8:43 am

Nam Flog wrote:
Really Jason? You were there too?

You must have been too focused on your game. The kimchis were everywhere. And there were posters all around on korean tour playing in JB. I even saw buffet lined up for them at the cafe. In front of me was korean flight, behind me was korean flight.

And I was kidding when I said chio gals. There are all Ajummas. But all playing better than me. Haha.

And Andrew, I agree the ladies swing is more consistent and rhythmic. Just like in sec school play basketball, the girls can always outshoot the guys (if nobody is blocking their shot).

Haha, maybe I am too focused liao. Bcos on range can hit relatively well but on green another story so die die must focus if not super haywire!
Luckily I got a good caddy yesterday and she gave many good advises especially on my alignment to targets.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 8:53 am

Bro Flog, without seeing u swing. It's hard to identify why u are not hitting ur irons well. Most of us have a perfect practice swing nicely gliding thru the grass... But when come to actual swing it top, duff etc.

My guess is ur are swinging smoothly during the practice swing. But put the little white devil there, u want to muscle it and hence ur body tense up, u grip tighter, u lose ur posture etc etc

Borrow a phrase from Andrew, swing smoother like the ladies. Get the contact first.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 8:55 am

That's why I avoid the range. It gives me a false sense of ability Smile
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 9:29 am

Skybobo, thanks. I really want to punish that little white devil! Send it all the way to heaven above the clouds! Lol.

Yup I got that one down in my notebook. Swing, don't hit.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 9:35 am

Technospaz, do you have this experience as well? I think you put it in an interesting way. False sense of ability. So actually I have no ball striking ability…..but the range made me think I got it. That's why I am disappointed on the course. Hmmm….that makes sense actually.

In that case from day one of learning golf should be at the course. Should build that kind of resilience right from the beginning. But I guess we need level ground to build a foundation and that's why we start in the range yah.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 9:45 am

The problem (IMHO) with the range is that the ball is nicely placed on a flat mat and there are no course-type pressures like bunkers, water, OB sticks etc. This deviates from reality which often hits me in the face only after I take a shot on the course (after thinking I can pummel the ball the same way on the range). Also, range balls are not as good so distance is not precise.

All that said, I advocate going to the range. It's a good way to practice and build your swing. In fact, I think it is important that golfers do so. If you have a keen interest in the sport and want to play better, going to the range is key. But do so wisely - don't practise something wrongly since practice also makes permanent.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 9:47 am

Bro Nam,

Maybe u are putting too much weight on ur left foot n you put all your focus on the crown of the ball instead of the impact point (which is the face) which is why you top the ball.

I used to be the same as you; play perfectly on range n terrible on green.

Just remember this few step:
Align to your target
Address the ball according to the length of club used
Focus on the point of the impact
Slow take away until your hinge reach your right ear level
Hip turn n swing down aiming on the point of impact n follow thru till your left ear level.

It works for me, hope it works for you.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 9:57 am

Willy,

Great great tips from you. I know different strokes for different folks, but I really wanted to hear from some other golfers how they cope with this problem.

If it's good enough for you, it might be good enough for me. Cheers.

Wah after so much discussion here feel like going to the range and hit 50 balls. But better relax and start 2014 strong!
Back to top Go down
SmOcKxY
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 10:02 am

I am a little different..on the course can hit nice crisp shots(of cos still got top or hit it heavy from time to time) but on the mat I'm useless..can't hit anything from FW to PW..never bothered going to range because of this..
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 10:17 am

same issue here with me, and the problem as identified is am too focus on where I want the ball to go rather than trust the swing and let the ball get there.

On range, I focus on swing and getting the ball out. We tend to focus on impact. While on the course (given that lie comes into play) we tend to get distracted with all the hazards, and we focus on not losing the ball, the ball no in the hazard... blah blah blah.. have been working on 

1) get the distance and select the right club
2) go thru my routine
3) setup and aim
4) trust the swing to get the ball to the right distance
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 11:09 am

before u address the ball.... i assume u have a pre-shot routine

whatever your pre-shot routine is... undoubtedly it involves a practise swing

it is here where u do your swing thoughts and whatever u want to work on...

but once i address the ball, my only focus is my target....

there is no more swing thoughts in my head... i have to trust my swing

whatever good or rubbish swing, i only think abt my target, my target and my target

one more time... once i address the ball, i only think abt my target and nothing else, i have to trust my swing

if u are not comfortable with your setup or routine or whatever however what your arms shoulders chest shd be.... suggest u do a mock practise everyday until it becomes a routine

yes, your colleague will throw funny glances at u, strangers think u siao and your wife say u walk fire enter demon...... its ok cos u are not alone, we are here for you

Very Happy  Very Happy  Beer  Beer
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 11:21 am

Wah walk fire enter dragon, my wife just say this to me yesterday cos she saw me doing practice swing while showering...
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 11:23 am

bro slinger - Wow! very good point. Target, target, target. Got to remember that, thanks. Your last para is very inspiring  Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
akhild
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
akhild

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 11:23 am

+1 slinger post.
Practice swing is to address all reminders.

After that is commitment to the shot n target.

Reading zen golf might help u.
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 11:26 am

slinger wrote:

whatever good or rubbish swing, i only think abt my target, my target and my target

one more time... once i address the ball, i only think abt my target and nothing else, i have to trust my swing

if u are not comfortable with your setup or routine or whatever however what your arms shoulders chest shd be.... suggest u do a mock practise everyday until it becomes a routine

yes, your colleague will throw funny glances at u, strangers think u siao and your wife say u walk fire enter demon...... its ok cos u are not alone, we are here for you

Wonderful piece of advice ....

but Si Fu, may i know what exactly do you mean by .... "Think about my target"?

Do you ...

1. Think of the resulting location you want your ball to be

or

2. Think of the ball flight that your ball will travel to roughly where you want the ball to be

or

3. Think of the ball landing point instead of the landing+rolling destination?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 11:39 am

+1 to Slinger's post too.

I got scolded by him recently for not having a good pre-shot routine!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 11:46 am

Nam Flog wrote:
Turbo, 

I will try to take your advice. So what's on your mind as you play an iron shot on the fairway?

Causeway super jam yesterday. I got creative and still held in traffic for more than one hour, can't imagine those who queue up properly stuck for how long. I kana red card cos I missed the timing to pick up my son. I got to find a way to play in Singapore man. This JB thing is not sustainable for me.

Bro Nam,

TBH, no swing thought surfaces in my mind ... I juz adopt my usual pre-shot routine - 1) A deliberate and smooth practice swing (max - 2 times); 2) Stand behind ball and identify my intended target, 3) Address the ball & stay Focus + Commit; 4) Do a few wagger to loosen up my grip and then pull the trigger ...

All swing thoughts and mechanics should be done and in-grained in the range ... My 2 cents' worth ...

Happy & Prosperous Year 2014 to all GRians!!

Beer  Cheers Jump  Beer
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 11:51 am

s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:

Wonderful piece of advice ....

but Si Fu, may i know what exactly do you mean by .... "Think about my target"?

Do you ...

1. Think of the resulting location you want your ball to be

or

2. Think of the ball flight that your ball will travel to roughly where you want the ball to be

or

3. Think of the ball landing point instead of the landing+rolling destination?

no need think so much lah.....u play in NSRCC gold medal event leh....
dun play play and pretend pig eat tiger
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 12:03 pm

Skybobo,

Why so erotic details share here? Shower together with your wife that's how she see you swing right. Don't tell me your shower door is transparent.

lol
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 12:07 pm

Nam Flog wrote:
Skybobo,

Why so erotic details share here? Shower together with your wife that's how she see you swing right. Don't tell me your shower door is transparent.

lol

To emphasize the fact that you need to keep on practicing like Shifu Slinger.....then u can attain perfection up till the fact that you will always win only 1 UP
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 12:10 pm

Bomby, 

on hindsight, I really focus on impact and launching the ball when I pull the trigger on my iron shots on the course. Not so much thinking about hazards or losing ball.

Practise swing feels good, try hard to remember that feeling in the muscles and sequencing, then address and try to recreate that feeling during the practise swing.

Yup I think that's what going on in my mind during a shot.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts they are insightful.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Slinger,

You brought up a good point. I don't think about my target. I think about impact and launching the ball. Something I will try next time I go to the range.

The mock routine you mentioned sounds interesting. Can also do it at the range i.e. treat every ball you hit off the range mat like hitting a ball in a game on course?

Everybody calling you Shifu. How many disciples do you have? Can +1?
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 1:08 pm

Nam Flog wrote:
Slinger,

You brought up a good point. I don't think about my target. I think about impact and launching the ball. Something I will try next time I go to the range.

The mock routine you mentioned sounds interesting. Can also do it at the range i.e. treat every ball you hit off the range mat like hitting a ball in a game on course?

Everybody calling you Shifu. How many disciples do you have? Can +1?

how much "school fees" do you intend to contribute?

Razz Razz Razz 
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 1:11 pm

skybobo wrote:

no need think so much lah.....dun play play and pretend pig eat tiger

i am always the pig that kena eaten by tiger/lion/bear/etc ....

everyone also come and laugh at me, can drive cannot arrive ... everyone just waiting for me at the green while i top/duff/dig the fairway and hockey my way to the green ...  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Doraemon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Doraemon

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Nam Flog wrote:
Hi all,

How can I better my irons performance on the course? I know that I have consistent ball striking ability and launching is not a problem every time I practice in the range. But whenever on the actual course (fairway) I cannot replicate the crisp contact feeling and ball launching takes a back seat. It is very frustrating for me.

I always keep reminding myself about this few points when playing irons on the course:

1. Keep weight on the balls of feet, leaning forward slightly but not looking down on the ball.
2. Grip the club like a small chick in my hands
3. Check left wrist setup/address to ensure club is sitting properly on it's sole (not heeling or toeing)
4. Don't look up when executing downswing
5. RELAX!

My practice swings just bruises the grass but no divot taken. My actual shot sometimes divot sometimes no divot.

I will like to hear from golfers who have experienced this problem before and how they overcomed it.

Cheers guys.

You didn't mention what kind of shots you hit in on the green...???

Guessing if you don't take divots, must be topping the ball and sometime got bad slices a lot...???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irons performance on the course is so different than on range   Irons performance on the course is so different than on range - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Irons performance on the course is so different than on range
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next