Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?

Go down 
+10
popeyex
akhild
Turbo
Lizsam
mloy
slinger
skybobo
eqtrend
Birdman
samuelng2902
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
samuelng2902
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
samuelng2902

Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? Empty
PostSubject: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 11:03 am

I'm referring to the part where during the downswing the club shaft is still almost at 90 deg angle to the hands by the time they come down to somewhere on the right thigh area, then releasing powerfully through the ball.

Tried following the instructions on some youtube instructional vids... can really hear the powerful swish - but that's without the ball. When I put the ball in place, though I try applying the technique, I still end up hitting at the ball and not swinging through it.

No
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 11:32 am

That's a very advanced move that could do more harm than good if not executed properly. Could lead to overactive hands and/or flipping the hands through impact resulting in inconsistent contact and wild shots ending up left and right.

Having said that, one way to increase lag is to lead the downswing with the hips first while holding back the shoulders without thinking about the hands. The lag then happens automatically.

It's important to turn the right shoulder past the left after impact or you'll end up hanging your weight back on your right side, then your right shoulder will dip too much and you end up impacting the ground anywhere up to six inches behind the ball. And that's not going to send the ball anywhere.

Like I said, it's a complicated move. Very Happy

In simpler terms, just focus on a proper weight transfer onto your left side on the downswing and that should add lag.

Alternatively, it's much easier and more effective to focus on solid impact.  Swing
Back to top Go down
eqtrend
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 11:49 am

Good advise from Birdman,  although above mentioned tip should add more speed (translate into longer yardage ) greater possibility of inconsistent contact of and directions (due to flipping or wrist or/and too much release.)

Main advantage of focusing on proper weight transfer (ie bumping of left hip) at top of swing will cause hand to drop in proper swing path and should lead to increase in distance.

Once you have mastered this, i would look at above video, even then I would have teaching pro to check the swing time to time, insuring that you have not developed any bad habits
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 12:12 pm

No offense but i think it is much more beneficial to focus on hitting the ball at the centre of the club face first.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Forgive me for assuming Samuel, but if that is you in your avatar, you might already have issues with your weight hanging back on your right side, as evidenced by your finish position in that bunker shot.

The left leg has buckled entirely, meaning all the weight is on the right side through the shot, ie, no weight transfer to the left side.

Work on the weight transfer and the lag will come. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 12:39 pm

dear samuel,

i feel that the best efficient way to execute a golf swing is thorugh proper instruction from a teaching pro...

asking advise in forum is a bit dicey as everyone has their own opinions and u might eventually be confused by whats being said here....

eg....

my fav superhero say no weight transfer on your bunker shot....

but to me greenside bunker shot need weight transfer meh?? tot all weight on the left side, just shoulder turn and hit 1in behind ball, then ball will come out hop spin check whatever...

see... diff opinions liao, listen to who??
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 12:45 pm

slinger wrote:
dear samuel,

i feel that the best efficient way to execute a golf swing is thorugh proper instruction from a teaching pro...

asking advise in forum is a bit dicey as everyone has their own opinions and u might eventually be confused by whats being said here....

eg....

my fav superhero say no weight transfer on your bunker shot....

but to me greenside bunker shot need weight transfer meh?? tot all weight on the left side, just shoulder turn and hit 1in behind ball, then ball will come out hop spin check whatever...

see... diff opinions liao, listen to who??

Touche! Very Happy

'Nuff said!
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 12:47 pm

slinger wrote:

That is true. You can ask meia07656. He will tell you what happend to him.  Razz
Back to top Go down
Lizsam
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 12:50 pm

I would agree that is the way to go only take advice from a pro.  Saying that I am awaiting arrival of a tour striker from the USA which is supposed to make your hands be in the correct position at impact. I think you have to have lag for your hands to be behind the ball at impact. I am hoping this learning aid will help me has anyone used a tour striker?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 1:01 pm

mloy wrote:
slinger wrote:

That is true. You can ask meia07656. He will tell you what happend to him.  Razz

To put it in perspective, asking for swing advice here is like reading the swing tips in a magazine, you're looking for a quick fix. The downside is that there's no teaching pro to tell you if what you are trying to execute is right or wrong, or is even the right fix.

For a long term proper fix, you can't beat one on one time with a teaching pro for sure. The question is whether one is willing to invest time and money for such a fix. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 1:04 pm

As the saying goes, too many cooks spoil the broth ...  Laughing
Back to top Go down
akhild
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
akhild

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Jhan created that for me over 4 sessions. But works for me doesnt mean will work for you.
Get pro help.
Back to top Go down
samuelng2902
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
samuelng2902

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks for the advise.

How do pros charge these days? I learnt back in early 2011 and paid about $600+ for 10 lessons. Old school "sergeant major" type golf pro. Sadly didn't have the chance to practice and play much until late this year. Perhaps I should go for one who uses modern tech ao that I can see myself from front and side and see the mistakes I'm making.
Back to top Go down
Lizsam
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Yes it definitely helps me when I see my mistakes on a video. You often don't realise what you are doing
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 1:42 pm

samuelng2902 wrote:
Thanks for the advise.

How do pros charge these days? I learnt back in early 2011 and paid about $600+ for 10 lessons. Old school "sergeant major" type golf pro. Sadly didn't have the chance to practice and play much until late this year. Perhaps I should go for one who uses modern tech ao that I can see myself from front and side and see the mistakes I'm making.

Justin Han over at Seletar driving range is as modern tech as it gets. He teaches with the latest version of Trackman Pro.

You'll get all your numbers from swing and ball speed to how far you really hit (even with range balls). All swing videos will even be emailed to you.

Best part is, 'smash factor' gives you a numerical indication of how much lag you generate.

Justin Han by the way, is also a short game guru.
Back to top Go down
popeyex
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Lizsam wrote:
I would agree that is the way to go only take advice from a pro.  Saying that I am awaiting arrival of a tour striker from the USA which is supposed to make your hands be in the correct position at impact. I think you have to have lag for your hands to be behind the ball at impact. I am hoping this learning aid will help me has anyone used a tour striker?

i have the tourstriker pro 7i. it forces you to maintain that wrist angle thereby creating the lag. It is an instant feedback tool.

However, it is no holy grail and it helps only if you have the fundamentals right. If not it will not help you that much and you will feel frustrated.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 2:39 pm

samuelng2902 wrote:
Thanks for the advise.

JHan from Seletar CC with high tech device, Trackman prolly charges about $120-130 per hours (one-to-one) ... It is prolly because he is under MST. You may PM him for detail info ...
Back to top Go down
Lizsam
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 7:05 pm

He sounds good
Back to top Go down
Lizsam
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 7:09 pm

He sounds good is he expensive
Back to top Go down
akhild
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
akhild

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 8:29 pm

He is indeed good. PM him for price. Not nice to post prices here as they do evolve over time and may cause confusion in future.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Nice article on him in Golf Digest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 10:32 pm

This looks painful. But interesting. Course marshal will not be happy.
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Sure Kena elbow if practice like that...
Back to top Go down
Lizsam
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 7:17 am

Popeyex have you found the tour striker beneficial, I am worried incase it is extremely difficult to use
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 10:57 am

Lizsam wrote:
Popeyex have you found the tour striker beneficial, I am worried incase it is extremely difficult to use

Hi Lizsam

I've seen both negative and positive results from using tour striker. Perhaps you should look up it's inventor, Martin Chuck for more info. He has some useful videos on Youtube. 

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?   Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any effective and practical drills to practice creating swing lag and release through the ball?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next