Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which country club - Raffles or Orchid

Go down 
+19
poresia
chien
gunship
beehome
andrew-golf
FVTPL
slinger
mariateo
stickman
nutty88
danielleecm
blee67
Kenneth
TDO
enwee
Turbo
Angchug
steven_koh
RT76
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
RT76
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Which country club - Raffles or Orchid Empty
PostSubject: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Dear all,
Need your advice. I am looking at acquiring a golf club and I have narrow my search to between Raffles and Orchid. What are your thoughts? Beside enoying a game of golf with my friends, I am looking at using the club to host my clients and business partners. I also need the club to have other facilities to amuse my wife whilst I sneak off for a game of golf. I live along Upper Bukit Timah. Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
steven_koh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
steven_koh

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:38 pm

I will go for OCC...sliver member here ....
Kindlegolf for kid...,Christopher music ...
Bowling alley...,peach garden...Himawari Japanese Restaurant
75 room with very nice view.....

Last edited by steven_koh on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Angchug
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Angchug

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Raffles is less crowded with 2 x 18 and 1,500 golfing members but there is a problem with traffic during weekday. You need to leave your place before 6:45am in order to avoid the massive traffic heading toward Jurong. In generally no booking required on weekday, you can just walkin. RCC allow 1 ball on weekday. Course condition is very subjective. Lake course is nice, Palm fairway is rough but the green is nice. Recently member voted not to rebuild Palm course. Now they can spend the money on the fairway. OCC is nice and there is night golfing. OCC course is more forgiving.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 pm

If you need to please your wifey, OCC has bowling alley, gym, swimming pool, NTUC Fairprice supermart, etc. But it only has 3 x 9-hole courses whilst RCC has 2 x 18-hole courses ...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Yah if wifey come into pic, occ is the obvious choice, eventhough rcc had full course facilities as well. But will your wife travel all the way to tuas just for a swim???
Back to top Go down
RT76
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks for the response! Sounds like OCC beats RCC pants down for pleasing the wife. How about entertaining clients and business partners with a golf game? My customers are based mostly in Tuas and Kranji area. I hear that OCC can get very crowded and it will be hard to book a flight on short notice.

In addition what are your views about the courses? Which one is more pleasant and scenic to play at?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:47 pm

RT76 wrote:
Thanks for the response! Sounds like OCC beats RCC pants down for pleasing the wife. How about entertaining clients and business partners with a golf game?  My customers are based mostly in Tuas and Kranji area. I hear that OCC can get very crowded and it will be hard to book a flight on short notice.

In addition what are your views about the courses? Which one is more pleasant and scenic to play at?
Course wise rcc got 2 x 18 holes. Occ is 3x9 holes. Scenery I would say abt the same. U intend to play wkday or wkend. Wkday wise should not be a problem. Wkend, rcc stand a higher chance. But rcc I would advice wait until the land issue with sla is settle then decide. Because if the land renewal is no go by sla, you may end up with only 18 holes in years to come.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 12:05 am

For the longer term, I prefer OCC. Many ministers and government officials patronise this club. The future at RCC remains uncertain as the lease is left with 15 years. Besides, the club intend to spend $26m on renovation to the course but was soundly rejected by members. See link below.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/raffles-country-club-members-reject-26m-upgrading-plan
Back to top Go down
RT76
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 12:13 am

Thanks enwee for your input! I understand that OCC has a shorter lease at about 10 years and the site has been marked as a reserves site by the master planner. U reckon this should be a cause for concern? What are the likely scenarios for OCC when the lease is up?
Back to top Go down
Kenneth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 1:22 am

Why not consider JCC?
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 8:02 am

If you look at today newspaper, there is an article about how SLA will be engaging the various clubs on the extension of the lease.  An announcement is expected by early next year.

One interesting point I notice in that article is that there is no mention of OCC...
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:26 am

hi, just my humble opinion. OCC location may infact serve as a landscape for surrounding estates and thus chances of it moving maybe very slim, not to mention its a nice course to play in.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:30 am

enwee wrote:
Yah if wifey come into pic, occ is the obvious choice, eventhough rcc had full course facilities as well. But will your wife travel all the way to tuas just for a swim???
OCC also has hotel for a weekend gateaway with your mistresses ... Oops ... I mean your beloved wifey ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:32 am

RT76 wrote:
Thanks enwee for your input! I understand that OCC has a shorter lease at about 10 years and the site has been marked as a reserves site by the master planner. U reckon this should be a cause for concern? What are the likely scenarios for OCC when the lease is up?
fyi, the last meeting, initially they proposed a total of $28m for the rebuilding the whole palm course. current members need to top up for it as a form of installment. The rest they hope to sell membership for $60K which I thought it's impossible with the current mkt. But it had been shoot down during the last agm.

OCC wise, nothing mention on the land so far but I guess it's rather safe at the moment, but I think members had no say if the club going to do anything abt the course. Bro blee can advice you better since he's OCC members.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:33 am

I would suggest OCC also. Not sure if you range often but RCC range closes damn early. OCC has more facilities over RCC. Moreover, OCC has a better location as in you can still drop your family at nearby shopping malls while you go golf.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:35 am

nutty88 wrote:
I would suggest OCC also. Not sure if you range often but RCC range closes damn early. OCC has more facilities over RCC. Moreover, OCC has a better location as in you can still drop your family at nearby shopping malls while you go golf.
Even RCC range closes late, unless u work in Tuas or else I don't think anyone would go there for range?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:38 am

OCC has night golfing but not RCC ... But I stand corrected ...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:41 am

nutty88 wrote:
Bro, there is only a relatively small North Point mall plus one small Sembawang mall in the vicinity at the moment ... You sure your wife and kids can shop at one miserable mall for 4-5 hours? Over at RCC, there are a few malls in the vicinity ... Jurong Point, Jem, Jude Box, IMM, etc.

Last edited by Turbo on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:42 am

enwee wrote:
RT76 wrote:
fyi, the last meeting, initially they proposed a total of $28m for the rebuilding the whole palm course. current members need to top up for it as a form of installment. The rest they hope to sell membership for $60K which I thought it's impossible with the current mkt. But it had been shoot down during the last agm.

OCC wise, nothing mention on the land so far but I guess it's rather safe at the moment, but I think members had no say if the club going to do anything abt the course. Bro blee can advice you better since he's OCC members.
I have spoken to one of the committee member a few months ago and was told that they have already submitted the lease extension form to SLA for approval.  However as yet, nothing has been heard till the newspaper article this morning (again, no mention of OCC though).  Guess this is still very much a watiting game at the moment.

To a certain extent it is true about members having no say in the club management as the club is controlled by SLF.  However, members have been known to the management about issues in the past that the club has taken note and act upoin (not all though from what i heard and seen).  One word of caution though.  The club is not as exclusive as other clubs as you must not forget that the intention of this club was to give access to Union members as afforadable rates (i.e day passes, etc).
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:43 am

OCC will stay because it's meant to be "affordable" for the workers who are unionised and the many ministers and government officials who patronise the place. So this place will be granted extension of lease for sure.Very Happy 

Last edited by TDO on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:44 am

Turbo wrote:
nutty88 wrote:
Bro, there is only a relatively small North Point mall in the vicinity at the moment ... You sure your wife and kids can shop at one miserable mall for 4-5 hours? Over at RCC, there are a few malls in the vicinity ... Jurong Point, Jem, Jude Box, IMM, etc.
Bro Turbo, when you mentioned vicinity, you take into consideration the distance?  Just making an observation only...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:52 am

blee wrote:
Turbo wrote:
nutty88 wrote:
Bro, there is only a relatively small North Point mall in the vicinity at the moment ... You sure your wife and kids can shop at one miserable mall for 4-5 hours? Over at RCC, there are a few malls in the vicinity ... Jurong Point, Jem, Jude Box, IMM, etc.
Bro Turbo, when you mentioned vicinity, you take into consideration the distance?  Just making an observation only...Very Happy
Yes of course ...

North Point mall - 3 mins by car to OCC
Sembawang mall - 10 mins by car to OCC

Jurong Point mall - 15 mins to RCC by car
Jux box & Jem - 15 mins to RCC by car
IMM - 15 mins to RCC by car
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:55 am

Turbo wrote:
blee wrote:
Turbo wrote:
nutty88 wrote:
Yes of course ...

I thought North Point expanded? Also in future, there will be a new seletar mall.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:55 am

Turbo wrote:
blee wrote:
Turbo wrote:
nutty88 wrote:
Yes of course ...

Very Happy Thanks!

I can show this to my wife now.... Beer
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 am

enwee wrote:
Turbo wrote:
blee wrote:
Turbo wrote:
nutty88 wrote:
Yes of course ...

I thought North Point expanded? Also in future, there will be a new seletar mall.
North Point mall has expanded under the stewardship of Capital Mall ... but still smaller than IMM or Jux box, etc. Sembawang is also small but there is a Giant hypermart inside ...

Yes, there will be a new Seletar mall but not sure when it will be materialized ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which country club - Raffles or Orchid   Which country club - Raffles or Orchid I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which country club - Raffles or Orchid
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next