Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

slow play killing golf!!!

Go down 
+35
Birdman
nutty88
abadan
Vinny
mloy
blee67
TDO
FVTPL
callsign75
Bangla123
Quest
golfjunk
davecsh
Technospaz
IceShelterX
DRGjr72
hkhamateur
iron eagle
fata
willytan
asahi
snagy23
billi
beehome
kevlee69
flog-er
dyeosh
enwee
sob
vinjess
pushslice
haragolfer
Duval_S
DiVoTion
dunlookback
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:04 am

FVTPL wrote:
sounds so intimidating to for newbies like me to play on golf courses..
It isnt the newbieness that make golfers slow. Its the refusal to pick up the ball when the whole flight is behind time by a large margin

As a noob, i stuck to weekday games where courses arent busy. Can play extra balls, practice on the course. In the very beginning, i only dare to enter course with a pro.

Once i got a bit better, i join weekend games with more seasoned players fr GR. All four noobs in a weekend flight can be bottleneck if no one picks up their ball.

Playing with experienced players are important because we can pick up good habits and learn etiquette from them

That said, loads of seasoned players can also be slow with their preshot routine and excessive thinking/line reading. So if youre kakis are slow...kind of bad luck:pale:
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:31 am

pushslice wrote:
FVTPL wrote:
It isnt the newbieness that make golfers slow. Its the refusal to pick up the ball when the whole flight is behind time by a large margin

As a noob, i stuck to weekday games where courses arent busy. Can play extra balls, practice on the course. In the very beginning, i only dare to enter course with a pro.

Once i got a bit better, i join weekend games with more seasoned players fr GR. All four noobs in a weekend flight can be bottleneck if no one picks up their ball.

Playing with experienced players are important because we can pick up good habits and learn etiquette from them

That said, loads of seasoned players can also be slow with their preshot routine and excessive thinking/line reading. So if youre kakis are slow...kind of bad luck:pale:
FVTPL mate, nobody is pointg fingers at newbies fr playg on course la. Wink
Who dare claims tat he/she didnt start fm scratch! Nt even TW, Phi, Els, Scott, Mahan, and all pros/pro-am etc..Cool
Just be cautious abt the pace n apply basic golf etiquette at all time as long as u re on the course.Very Happy
Bro PS has highlighted his personal good points of view thru those number of years in golfg as well as many abv seasoner Grians. (TDO, TURBO, fata, etc) Tx fr sharg guys.cheers
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:42 am

I feel that golf is a game for us to enjoy, we shld try to follow some simple rule;
- play the game within the pace (not rushing or not too slow)
- play within your means (dun play black when u can barely reach the fairway)
- dun waste time finding a lost ball when u have no idea where it flies
- plan your game
- let the flight pass if they are rushing
- finally everyone enjoys their game
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 am

Nothing against newbies here, just that don't play blue just because you pay full fare, especially when you can see the course is quite pack. Another reason why don't go play golf with 4 newbies, mainly due to the reason you not familiar with the course so you may not know whether your ball OB/water/lost. Lastly, when you played about double par strokes and you are still not on green, pick up the ball and GO, at least this would speed up the pace abit.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:38 am

mloy wrote:
pushslice wrote:
FVTPL wrote:
Lastly, its good to remind our flight mates to speed up play when we are slow. I do that.
I know...   I have seen you do it... What a Face
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:39 am

pushslice wrote:
FVTPL wrote:

Agree with Pushslice with regards to playing with experienced golfers.

When I first started golf...I did not head off to the golf course proper as I felt that I am not ready. I started with 9 holes golf courses like Executive in Mandai where most are newbies. I did not want to get frustrated and lose interest in the sport. After about several months when I felt that I am ready (meaning I can hit the ball decently and the ball can "fly") I proceeded to play 18 holes on a weekday with my coach to learn about golf rules and etiquettes. I did not bother about my scores bcos its irrelevant as I know my scores will be bad.

For newbies when playing on crowded weekends it will be good to pick up their ball and play forward or to let the faster flights play through. Or like Pushslice said play on a weekday and have the golf course almost to themselves and they can take their time and enjoy their game.

Lastly, its good to remind our flight mates to speed up play when we are slow. I do that.
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks for all the inputs and advice.. 

Currently still learning.. Just got my PC.. But feel that I am not good enough to play on course.. So will brush up a bit more (by going for more lessons).. Before embarking on the golf course..

Only played a couple of times on the executive course..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:00 am

FVTPL wrote:
Thanks for all the inputs and advice.. 

Currently still learning.. Just got my PC.. But feel that I am not good enough to play on course.. So will brush up a bit more (by going for more lessons).. Before embarking on the golf course..

Only played a couple of times on the executive course..
Don't be afraid to play on the course. What you need to do, however, is to exercise good etiquette and common sense. If you're holding up play, pick up speed. If you're sending balls wayward, shout "FORE." Apologize where you've made an error. Remember, treat other golfers like how you would like to be treated.
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 am

Those who cause slow play deserved to be ejected from the course. Again for whatever DA reasons there are those who can't hold their game well or tee off long ~ still plays off blue or black. I sometimes grapple with the fact, how is it some guys don't feel tired after 5 practice swings during their pre-shot routine....?? Effectively, if they chalk 100+ strokes for a 18 hole game, they would have swung 190+ times on the course.....lol!   Isn't that insanity, expecting to produce a better or similar result after repeating the same swing over and over again....??

Conversely, there are those who speed things up so drastically that the pace screws up their game and the whole game goes out of the window..... As a result of this, there is no improvement whatsoever.........

Moderate your pace and be mindful that you do not hold up nor inconvenient others ~ this way, you will improve and enjoy your game alot more  Beer
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:24 am

Its like the stroke counter accessory.  If you need help to keep track how many you are taking, DON"T COUNT the strokes la.  It may be important, but it is secondary!!!  Just enjoy your walk with friends and have a laugh at the scenery anyway.  

Do this a few more times, eventually will improve fast enough to be decent enough to count, then try to break 110, 100 la.  Lost ball also very cheap lor, dont need to hunt 20 minutes for a ball right.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:25 am

I've been lucky...recently played Jurong CC on a weekday for 4hrs again Very Happy  Two golfers behind us really pushed us to keep the pace yet they were very courteous.

We always talk abt slow golfers but lets not forget to be civil and courteous when facing these issues. Being angry or making a scene is just going to ruin your game and everyone's day.
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:30 am

so many good advice given.. its so heart warming.. 

looking forward to brush up my skills and then hope can join you guys on the course.. and get the invaluable learning experience..
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 am

dont need to brush up to play on course, just play on course.  The range will make you expect more and perform slower and in the beginning worse on course.

Nobody minds a golfer playing badly, because he affects himself mainly.  Everybody minds a slow golfer, because he affects EVERYONE including himself by playing slowly.

Last edited by haragolfer on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:38 am

ok.. let me be serious for once..

One of the things that players should never do is to fire 'warning' shots to the flight in front for slow play.  It is just too dangerous...   I have balls landing around me before just because we are waiting for the greens to clear (mind you, it is 100m to green and not 200m) and we get players kicking shots at us just so that we can speed up play.  Duh....

And, try to find out why the players are slow?  There are reasons why sometimes people do not realise that they are slow in the first place (i.e. they did not check the timesheet).  A quiet word to the marshall who is patrolling the grounds to ask them to speed will generally do the trick.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:47 am

blee wrote:

One of the things that players should never do is to fire 'warning' shots to the flight in front for slow play.  It is just too dangerous...   I have balls landing around me before just because we are waiting for the greens to clear (mind you, it is 100m to green and not 200m) and we get players kicking shots at us just so that we can speed up play.  Duh....

And, try to find out why the players are slow?  There are reasons why sometimes people do not realise that they are slow in the first place (i.e. they did not check the timesheet).  A quiet word to the marshall who is patrolling the grounds to ask them to speed will generally do the trick.
Poresia's marshals are among the most hopeless and useless. Only care about selling golf balls as a side income instead of ensuring compliance by golfers during play. When we tell them the flight in front is holding up many flights behind the answer would be, "What to do, they are Japanese or they are Koreans". But the flights in front of them were already 1.5 holes ahead. Geez!!!Mad 
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:52 am

TDO wrote:
blee wrote:

Poresia's marshals are among the most hopeless and useless. Only care about selling golf balls as a side income instead of ensuring compliance by golfers during play. When we tell them the flight in front is holding up many flights behind the answer would be, "What to do, they are Japanese or they are Koreans". But the flights in front of them were already 1.5 holes ahead. Geez!!!Mad 
Interestingly enough, we had a similar experience once before where we were chased by the marshall for slow play.  We managed to catch up to the flight in front on the 10 hole and then it became a waiting game as they were slow.  We can even see the flight in front of them moving ahead...   We told the same marshall about him pushing us and the flight now holding back the flights behind.  His response was 'Oh, they are not slow'.  We had to show him the timesheet and then knowing the inside story (that is a different story altogther) before he moves off unwillingly to tell the flight in front to move on.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:56 am

blee wrote:

Fully n strongly agreed w Blee! Mad
It happened twice early this year! Evil or Very Mad
Once w KLtan at Orchard JB n next was with Robert33 at T.Putri C bcoz only 2pax on weekends cant tee off at B course. Both fired shots landed eta 5ft away n rolled...Mad
Behind flight re Malaysian at Orchard JB & behind flight re a bunch of korean at T.Putri...Bast^*#d!Mad
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 12:03 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
blee wrote:

Fully n strongly agreed w Blee! Mad
It happened twice early this year! Evil or Very Mad
Once w KLtan at Orchard JB n next was with Robert33 at T.Putri C bcoz only 2pax on weekends cant tee off at B course. Both fired shots landed eta 5ft away n rolled...Mad
Behind flight re Malaysian at Orchard JB & behind flight re a bunch of korean at T.Putri...Bast^*#d!Mad
plus one.  From anecdotal stories ,experience and fear for for my life.  Never fire warning shots.  getting angry with slow play is one thing, endangering some other guys life is a whole other can of worms.  I hit some one on next fairway once, on the thigh, they heard me shout fore.  But it was too late.

The guilt almost killed me, he was very nice about it although he walked/hobbled off the injury.  A little higher and hit the spine, i dont even dare imagine.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm sure we have all run into the flight from hell at least once in our lives. 
But bare in mind that playing on course is part of the learning experience.

Newbies really should know basic golf etiquette b4 stepping on the course. if not etiquette... Its common courtesy to let faster players thru. 

Some newbies say .. "give us a break! You were a beginner once too!" fair enough statement...

eg.. u driving behind a P-plate driver.. weaving left and right and driving at 30kmh.. refusing to let you overtake. what would u do? I'm sure most of you would Horn at the driver and be cursing and swearing. 

Don't you wish that the idiot driver would just keep to one side and let faster drivers pass?

Complaining wouldn't solve the problems... we need to educate the newbies. and hopefully.. newbies are also willing to listen n learn. Razz
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:28 pm

abadan wrote:
I'm sure we have all run into the flight from hell at least once in our lives. 
But bare in mind that playing on course is part of the learning experience.

Newbies really should know basic golf etiquette b4 stepping on the course. if not etiquette... Its common courtesy to let faster players thru. 

Some newbies say .. "give us a break! You were a beginner once too!" fair enough statement...

eg.. u driving behind a P-plate driver.. weaving left and right and driving at 30kmh.. refusing to let you overtake. what would u do? I'm sure most of you would Horn at the driver and be cursing and swearing. 

Don't you wish that the idiot driver would just keep to one side and let faster drivers pass?

Complaining wouldn't solve the problems... we need to educate the newbies. and hopefully.. newbies are also willing to listen n learn. Razz
First they must learn from call on hole
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:45 pm

Actually I've encountered more seasoned slow golfers than newbie slow golfers.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 6:09 pm

pushslice wrote:
Actually I've encountered more seasoned slow golfers than newbie slow golfers.
Agree to a certain extent. Seasoned golfers walk slowly, take their own sweet time, play shots like they are gambling $1000/hole, ignore the traffic they created.Mad 

On the contrary, newbie golfers I noticed tend to rush and run after hitting their shots if they know they are holding back the back flights (not all though).Laughing 
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Firing warning shots. These are players with totally no brains. I wouldn't even call them golfers as they do not understand the basic golf ethics.

I stop playing golf in JB on public holidays. This is because of an encounter few years ago during the CNY period. Played in Pulai Springs with 2 japanese friends (Members of Pulai). 
As it was CNY, the course was quite crowded. We played from white. The flight behind were members of Pulai and played there regularly. We can see that they were very familiar with the course. We found out about this after the game when my Jap fren lodged a complaint.

They hit warning shots at everyone hole at us. Not only that, they used some kind of instrument (sound a bit like a vuvuzela) to blare at us to hurry us up. What a bunch of assholes!
It was 1 of the worst game I ever had.

My Jap fren actually wanted to pick a fight with them on the course. Now he hardly plays there even though he is still a member.

Firing warning shots is DEFINITELY a no,no. It is just too dangerous.
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:42 pm

beehome wrote:
Firing warning shots. These are players with totally no brains. I wouldn't even call them golfers as they do not understand the basic golf ethics.

I stop playing golf in JB on public holidays. This is because of an encounter few years ago during the CNY period. Played in Pulai Springs with 2 japanese friends (Members of Pulai). 
As it was CNY, the course was quite crowded. We played from white. The flight behind were members of Pulai and played there regularly. We can see that they were very familiar with the course. We found out about this after the game when my Jap fren lodged a complaint.

They hit warning shots at everyone hole at us. Not only that, they used some kind of instrument (sound a bit like a vuvuzela) to blare at us to hurry us up. What a bunch of assholes!
It was 1 of the worst game I ever had.

My Jap fren actually wanted to pick a fight with them on the course. Now he hardly plays there even though he is still a member.

Firing warning shots is DEFINITELY a no,no. It is just too dangerous.
Humm.. ok disclaimer, anyone ever think of hitting the warning shot golf ball back at them? just a thought but of course no point an eye for an eye, and that make  both golfer blind and cant play golf! hahaha..
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:50 pm

I would probably keep their ball and let them approach me for it.Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   slow play killing golf!!! - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

slow play killing golf!!!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next