Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Full swings hinge & hold

Go down 
+9
blee67
mulligan
Daztasiumz
Birdman
enwee
hkhamateur
Turbo
haragolfer
B8383B
13 posters
AuthorMessage
B8383B
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Full swings hinge & hold Empty
PostSubject: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Dear all,

Might be a noob question to some but Anyone can enlighten?

For full swings especially with mid to long clubs, do people swing with hinge and hold method? Was told the compression is much better with that. 

If so, is there any release to mention?

Look forward to hear some opinions. Tks in adv.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Hinge and hold more for short clubs. Long clubs only god like skill can handle anyway. I dont have long clubs beyond 6 iron.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t24743-hurry-hurry-hara-sale-matrix-shaft-50-adams-head-free#395807

"I have an army"

"we have a Hulk"
Back to top Go down
B8383B
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 10:49 pm

That that means lots of bros here have good skills. My longest iron is also 6 iron but I see many searching for 3irons n carry 4 irons as well. My thots are how come like that?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 10:56 pm

haragolfer wrote:
Hinge and hold more for short clubs. Long clubs only god like skill can handle anyway. I dont have long clubs beyond 6 iron.
U mean u dun use Driver & FW?? scratch
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:06 pm

haragolfer wrote:
Agreed! Wink
Its quite tough to execute a hinge n hold method fr 5i alr let alone a 4i!Shocked
But i do carry a 4i lately..Embarassed
Lovin' its feel bt cant really use hinge n hold method bt more of a wide arc swing plane as hybrid n FW instead.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:15 pm

does it matter? do what's work for u, btw hinge and hold if you don't release quick enough it can cause some damages not only to game but to your wrist as well. Once wrist injured, it take long time to heal. Maybe when u are young it's take a short time, but when u get older it takes longer and longer.

I don't hinge unless I using lob wedges, last time someone told me wrist not strong enough not advisable. I don't have a strong wrist for it.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:50 pm

B8383B wrote:
Dear all,

For full swings especially with mid to long clubs, do people swing with hinge and hold method? Was told the compression is much better with that. 

You mean hitting like a stinger shot in order to get a very penetrating trajectory?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 12:46 am

In the context of a full swing, hinging and holding would be almost the same as a block or push since one is consciously holding off the release of the club.

If I'm not mistaken, evidence of a hinge and hold in the full swing would show up as an Arnold Palmer-like helicopter follow through.

Last edited by Birdman on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Daztasiumz
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 12:50 am

Turbo wrote:
B8383B wrote:
Dear all,

You mean hitting like a stinger shot in order to get a very penetrating trajectory?
Maybe he meant pronation and supination of the wrist

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
B8383B
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 7:20 am

Thanks for all the inputs. 

I m confused if people do full swing with hinge n hold as I read that the compression is much better. 

Given the responses, it's likely that most agrees that the club would need to be released for full swings.

Now, anyone has good suggestions on replacement for 5i? I m having problem getting consistency for it.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 7:52 am

B8383B wrote:

I m confused if people do full swing with hinge n hold as I read that the compression is much better. 

Given the responses, it's likely that most agrees that the club would need to be released for full swings.

Now, anyone has good suggestions on replacement for 5i? I m having problem getting consistency for it.
5i u can always replaced with a hybrid, but why don't you go see a coach how to hit the long iron more consistently because iron provide better accuracy then hybrid. Well that's at least for me.
Back to top Go down
mulligan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mulligan

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 9:10 am

good day all, i no expert, if not mistaken ,compression comes from
'hitting down on the ball' ??? no ?
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 9:15 am

enwee wrote:
B8383B wrote:

5i u can always replaced with a hybrid, but why don't you go see a coach how to hit the long iron more consistently because iron provide better accuracy then hybrid. Well that's at least for me.
Now i know... What a Face
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 9:20 am

blee wrote:
enwee wrote:
B8383B wrote:

Now i know... What a Face
U very good in both lah, bro blee
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 am

mulligan wrote:
Me aso nt an expert here. Laughing
hinge n hold will help to maintain the iron face dwn upon strikg the ball.Arrow
Bt to optima a gd smach factor in obtaing a full compression, one must able to maintain the club face dwn upon impact even after finish thru. Most golfers tend to add loft instead. Wink
I knw of few great kakis here does tat pretty well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Peterinjb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Not an expert but am hitting my long irons decently. Have not heard of the term hinge and hold but I've been advised to hit down on the ball or 'squeeze' the ball, not sure if talking about the same thing.

For my long irons, like 3I or 4I , I just swing a bit slower than usual, slowing the tempo helps a lot since the club head travels a wider circle, hence longer distance. Balance it also very important as easier to lose it. I try to visualize 'punching' the ball slightly in to out to complete the swing.

For the short irons or approach shots, I do a shortened or easy back swing and try to 'squeeze' the ball and make sure I take a divot after. Result is a very clean shot, flying slice of grass and a ball that sometimes spins back when hit the green.(good balls like PRO V).
Back to top Go down
B8383B
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 7:40 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
mulligan wrote:
Me aso nt an expert here. Laughing
hinge n hold will help to maintain the iron face dwn upon strikg the ball.Arrow
Bt to optima a gd smach factor in obtaing a full compression, one must able to maintain the club face dwn upon impact even after finish thru. Most golfers tend to add loft instead. Wink
I knw of few great kakis here does tat pretty well. Very Happy
Ya, getting better compression is the objective of hinge n hold. 

Bro Enwee- yes, I m still taking lessons with a coach but somehow, don't like hitting 5irons n Abv cos I find it much harder to launch than a hybrid or wood. My coach says need to release club but I thot hinge n hold is the opposite with good results. 

I m confused again. To hinge n hold or not for full swings?
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 pm

First of all we have to understand the rational behind the hinge and hold method.

Hinge and Hold
Wrists hinge very early in the backswing, allowing the hands to lead the club at impact granted that you maintain the wrist angle and the club throughout the swing. Though this action creates good impact positions, it is a method used based around the theory that the clubface has little rotation on a more vertical plane, ideal for chipping. Though a motion that advocates accuracy, it is not dynamic enough for a full swing.

What is release?
Without dwelling into much technicality, the release of the club can be explained by the following practice.
Say if you held you golf club at stomach height, standing upright like a baseball player and swung, how would u create the most speed?
Resisting the rotation of the forearms and clubface? Probably not. That's how release comes about, by letting the club travel at its fastest speed without any hinderence. 

I hope this helps

Cheers
Back to top Go down
B8383B
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks Pro for the clarification. I think I got what u mean.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 10:10 am

Peterinjb wrote:
Not an expert but am hitting my long irons decently. Have not heard of the term hinge and hold but I've been advised to hit down on the ball or 'squeeze' the ball, not sure if talking about the same thing.

For my long irons, like 3I or 4I , I just swing a bit slower than usual, slowing the tempo helps a lot since the club head travels a wider circle, hence longer distance. Balance it also very important as easier to lose it. I try to visualize 'punching' the ball slightly in to out to complete the swing.

For the short irons or approach shots, I do a shortened or easy back swing and try to 'squeeze' the ball and make sure I take a divot after. Result is a very clean shot, flying slice of grass and a ball that sometimes spins back when hit the green.(good balls like PRO V).
bro hope this old vid help clarify:)
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 10:39 am

Haha even the pros dont agree what is a hinge. Pete Cowen would call the left wrist hinge mentioned in the video above as a wrist cock. He would say cock left wrist, hinge right wrist back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Full swings hinge & hold    Full swings hinge & hold I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Full swings hinge & hold
Page 1 of 1