Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

hinge and hold...

Go down 
+15
Turbo
stagedbrute
jtek
ngjw89
golf_snowman
jurongtiger
Tituman
Batman
Duval_S
S70B
Winston
pushslice
duffader
navik
drizz0
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
drizz0
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 pm

i just downloaded phil mickelson's secret to the short game... he teaches the hinge and hold method to chipping... i have to say he makes chipping the golf ball a lot more complicated.... i think his short is one of the best, if not the best on the tour...

but

i have always been taught to keep the hinge as minimal as possible.. but he advocates strongly that his method is the ONLY correct way to chip the ball, hinge the wrist and accelerate through then hold(which i do when i want to pitch the ball but same as chipping??).... my short isnt that great, so i thought phil would give out some drills and tricks to practicing on the practice greens and performing in the rounds...

but, thought to myself, golf is supposed to be hard and he is a masters champion so he knows what he is talking abt...

so tried them today on the practice greens... the results were awful... one old orang putih came up to me and started teaching not to hinge and so on(my old way of chipping)....

just wondering if anyone else have seen this phil mickelson DVD and chips it the phil way?
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 12:06 am

U need fantastic hand-eye coordination to chip like him.

I saw the video, some of the things he teach works, but some don't (for me at least). Besides the natural talents he was blessed with, don't forget that one also need to put in the same amount of practice to achieve the same results. He's the best example - how many right handers you know plays left handed?
Back to top Go down
drizz0
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 12:24 am

hehe... he has wat i dont have... talent... but it just struck me... coz in golf i thought there is no one absolutely correct way of hitting the ball... its just he clearly says that his way is the only correct way of chipping... made me think, shld i practice my short game more with my chipping style or start practicing from scratch and hinge n hold my chips? i am gonna stick with my old style but more practice and develop more feel.... but was just curious if anyone here hinge and holds it... coz other than phil i dont see anyone else do it...
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 12:30 am

Just do what works for you... dun ever go follow how pros hit.... imagine if you are trying to learn to swing like jim furyk... tempo yes... but learn to swing like them, you are going to be stuck for some time. Doesn't mean you swing like them, you will play like them.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 12:33 am

Drizz0, my old coach taucht me to chip like what you used to do and my new coach taught me to do it Phil's way.

It's difficult when you're in transition. We need to do enough reps to be confident and proficient with the new method. Only then we can compare different techniques. Unfair to compare old habit vs new habit.

and I'm also still in transition....must buy into the program and stick with it. No short cuts in golf kekeke Razz
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 12:54 am

There is no such thing as the ONLY correct way. There is only "What Works For You". I tried the hinge and hold and I couldnt chip to save my life. Only on the rare occasion where I have really good tempo and rhythm than it works like magic. Now I simply just have a slight forward press and hole it in the back swing and through the down swing. It works wonders for me on a CONSISTENT basis
Back to top Go down
drizz0
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 1:00 am

duffader: so true, still remember when my mate tried incorporating a slight hop to his swing ala tiger woods... lol hilarious

pushslice: thats one thing i love abt golf.. techniques takes a short time to learn, but will take ages to get good at, let alone master.. good luck on the transition..

winston: same here, thats what i do... hehe.. its just the dvd said its the only correct way which i kinda disagree... guess phil whole heartedly believes it.. and why shldnt he?
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 1:08 am

Agreed that Phil is one of the best short game players out there. But then I also believe that not all they say is gold. I made a mistake of pla gof for almost 2 months wihtout a coach. I reliased that I need one and I must say he is really good. He teaches me a swing that will work for me according to my physical limitions.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 5:59 am

Is phil's GIR stats any good?

Back to short game, I learned abit by watching champions tour not by the swing but on the club selection and the way they chose to play certain shots ard the green. Simple yet effective.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 7:42 am

I use the hinge and hold method he advocates.

Its pretty simple and effective as you minimise the flip thru with the wrists as you follow thru.

The beauty of it is that the action is the same from short chips to 60yd pitches. There isn't a need for a different chipping stroke and a pitching stroke, only a longer backswing and follow thru.

Simplified my short game.

If your results aren't showing, u are probably doing it wrong. Video yourself doing chips and compare it to his video to spot the differences.
Back to top Go down
drizz0
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 8:04 am

just feel there are too many moving parts in the action..... to each his own i guess....
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 8:16 am

You may have more moving parts in your stroke wrt trying to execute the move.

That includes your legs, head, and hinging but not holding.

Flipping is a common problem in most ppl's chipping. Very easy to see. Just hold your pose at the followthru and look at the shaft of the club. If its more in line with your right arm as opposed to the forearm of the left, you are flipping your wrists thru the stroke.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 9:25 am

Phil's approach is good.....just tat I think it requires hell alot of training and if not, hell alot of talent

Due to my un-intensive training , I am now embracing a short game approach which requires less training and also lowering of expectation.
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 9:31 am

One mans's meat is another's poison. For me, I do it more like an 'elaborated' putting stroke. It's not the best, but it works to my expectation. Hell I'll take that anytime.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 2:16 pm

@drizz0 ...." one old orang putih came up to me "

Wow Dan, glad to know in such short time, you have already increased your grasp of local lingos....ha ha lol! You will accumulate more as time goes by. Cheers Beer

Titu
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 6:37 pm

I bought Phil's "secret to the Short Game" hard cover 12 months ago.

Read it,and practised it and used it in Jumeirah with Ghoonk for 2 games in April.

After that I dump the book in one corner and never dare touch it liao.

You wan I can sell you. Near brand new
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 10:51 pm

i have that same video too and since then, I have been using the 'Hinge and hold' method for my chipping.

Lots of practise, just like what PS had say...i do it everytime I range, to make sure i dun flip my chipping, tough i would say, but i guess without a coach teaching me how to chip, this is the best i have and so far still doing ok when i'm on course...

nevertheless, i still decided to go for lesson to focus on my short game, starting next month...keke
Back to top Go down
ngjw89
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 11:40 pm

his hinge and hold method eventually worked out to be the most consistent for me, but in the beginning it was a little strange trying to get used to it because it is somewhat counter intuitive
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 12:26 am

Where to download the phil's video??? Wanna see how the hinge and hold u guys mentioned look like...
Back to top Go down
stagedbrute
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
stagedbrute

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 12:37 am

Here's the link on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4DevROGzXM&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 7:44 pm

I agree that Hinge and Hold is more effective than flipping of the hands. One can get consistency too as the tendency to fat or thin the shot is minimize if one can excel in it.
Back to top Go down
musashi75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 9:16 pm

I had his DVD and I really wanted to get it working but I found it very difficult to use under pressure. Seemed like too many moving parts. Some of the trick shots on his DVD were amazing though!
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 9:40 pm

What moving parts are u talking abt? I dun see anything else that isn't required to make a chipping motion.

Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:13 pm

My coach taught me this method.... Initially, I was struggling... But I make it to the point to keep practicing it...
Now, I want to go back to old method also cannot... the new method has better contact and easier to control distance...
Back to top Go down
ngjw89
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Turbo wrote:
I agree that Hinge and Hold is more effective than flipping of the hands. One can get consistency too as the tendency to fat or thin the shot is minimize if one can excel in it.

i think this helps to develop a better feel for good contact, which benefits my iron play as well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

hinge and hold... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hinge and hold...   hinge and hold... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hinge and hold...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next