Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)

Go down 
+17
pocketace
gino
golfool2009
jhan18
Birdman
eqtrend
DGman
sywog
KCL
flashpacker
Technospaz
enwee
mariateo
olivewine
EastCoastHack
navik
haertmage
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
haertmage
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) Empty
PostSubject: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 8:14 pm

for those who still have lessons with the pros, please make plans to finish your package by the end of august.
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Also take note that there are no refunds for unused range ball credits so please finish them asap
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
EastCoastHack

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:26 pm

It sucks but it is what it is. Great SPGA Pros, great range... gone.
Back to top Go down
olivewine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
olivewine

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:30 pm

is the academy moving to somewhere else?
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:40 pm

It's a great range. Anyone knows why they closing it down?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:57 pm

mariateo wrote:
For the hotel lor......
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:59 pm

mariateo wrote:

It's Mloy's secret training ground. Go figure Wink
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Will torque golf still be there?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 10:01 pm

flashpacker wrote:
Will torque golf still be there?

Nope. I heard that they're moving too Sad
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
KCL

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Anyone knows where Torque Golf is moving to?
Back to top Go down
sywog
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 11:50 am

newspaper article put Laguna in such a good light. Club has no need to consult members so no need waste time to check what the member want. But now close down driving range....where do members practice ?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:02 pm

i don't think the club is at all interested where the members practice. i hope that the new hotel operators, Dusit Thani do not end up like VW.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
eqtrend
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:13 pm

I remember reading recent issue of Golf and Digest (Singapore issue) Laguna GC review and it pretty much said, having no member committee relives conflict btw members (ie committee member having priority tee time vs reg members..)  Thus its better way of running golf club.  For me this is very highly debatable.

This closing of range w/out consulting members shows management priority is not priority but making all mighty $$$ is
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:32 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Laguna GC is a proprietary club.

And let's not forget Peter Kwee is known first and foremost as a businessman more than a philanthropist.

So no surprise.
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:46 pm

olivewine wrote:
is the academy moving to somewhere else?

I will be moving to seletar country club. I believe Ren is moving to OCC. Unsure about the rest.

In any case I hope the others have found/will find a new place soon!
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
EastCoastHack

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm a social member at Laguna and live within walking distance, and will really miss the convenience of the place. Last weekend I walked over at 7am and ended up sharing the chipping green with Scott Barr for an hour. He was prepping for next month's Omega European Masters which is part of the Asian Tour calendar. Pretty cool way to practice.

Somehow I can't see things like that happening at my next nearest course, NSRCC.

Allen Kelly, Chang Ren Chiat, and Justin Han have been great people to know and to learn from, and I hope to continue to learn from them wherever they end up.

I'll be using that range until it closes on Saturday, 31 August and look forward to raising a tin of Carlsberg after hitting that last ball.
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 1:16 pm

My understanding from Allen is that the range will be closed as they construct the hotel.  A smaller range will open sometime in the future but I doubt there will be chipping green.  From the way it was described to me, the range will resemble a narrow corridor.  Anyway, as much as I agree with the negative opinions expressed above on proprietary clubs, the construction of the hotel was a condition imposed by the govt to extend it's lease.

I too occasionally practice my chipping at laguna and will probably have to move to mbgc in the future and cough up $10 or whatever it is.

The biggest loss for me is losing the nearby services of Allen Kelly who is an excellent coach.
Back to top Go down
gino
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 2:19 pm

If Ren is moving to OCC, that's great news for me! Smile This sucks coz I actually think Laguna range is the better one with a sand practice area plus putting and chipping.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 2:23 pm

gino wrote:
If Ren is moving to OCC, that's great news for me! Smile This sucks coz I actually think Laguna range is the better one with a sand practice area plus putting and chipping.
OCC ? then OCC will have 2 academies?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 2:39 pm

What I understand is that occ has Phil brew academy on 2nd floor, and the ground floor has free lance coaches not affiliated with Phil brew academy
Maybe occ regulars can confirm
Back to top Go down
coe16arg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
coe16arg

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:14 pm

And coach shorthitter moving to where?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:20 pm

shorthitter is still weighing up his options...
He'll keep everyone posted I'm sure. If not, then some of us will update for him.
Back to top Go down
hiryu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:34 pm

pocketace wrote:
What I understand is that occ has Phil brew academy on 2nd floor, and the ground floor has free lance coaches not affiliated with Phil brew academy

Yeah, there's a number of resident pros on the left side of the 1st floor range. Guess we will see Ren there.
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:36 pm

pocketace wrote:

Yup the coaches working on the ground floor do not work for Phil but for OCC itself.
Back to top Go down
simon1982
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
simon1982

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Hey Justin, because of this later evening I going over laguna to clear my credits
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)   Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Laguna range will be closed permanently (end aug)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next