Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One iron golf system

Go down 
+10
neutralgolfer
mygolfsucks
jmchan
Jax
haragolfer
HyBriD
slazenger
jurongtiger
s-killer
Cnng121
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Cnng121
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Cnng121

One iron golf system Empty
PostSubject: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi all, has anyone in this forum ever tried this? Having a single length for all your clubs? It should help in accelerating the learning since we need to only master a single swing plane vs multiple when using different club lengths? Like to hear from the more seasoned golfers here if this is a good idea to enjoy beter golf.
http://www.1irongolf.com/index.htm
This is an interesting theory.
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 2:13 pm

Bro,

I have a friend who has done up his iron set with all the same length. He explained that it helps him with the address issue, because he don't have to bend his knee or back to adjust to different club length.

However, distance wise, it will be compromised. So you probably have to re-learn the different distance for different club.

Hope it helps
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Read a bit more about it and make some sense initially.

"The armchair physicist will point to the radial arm length in a golf swing as being the prime determinant of swing speed stating that the longer the radial arm the greater the swing speed and resultant distance.

A common misconception is that club length alone is used to define this radial arm length. Regardless of how many hinging points and resultant secondary arcs/planes are involved the true center of a golf swing is a point somewhere between your shoulders (this center point moves laterally between the shoulders during the swing). Hence, you must include your arm length into the radial arm length equation for any meaningful analysis.

Therefore, assuming a 37 inch iron length and an arm length of 24 inches, the actual radial arm length in your golf swing is 61 inches. This means that a 1/2 inch change in club length results in a radial arm length change of only 1/122nd or 0.008197 (0.8%). A 1 inch change in club length results in a radial arm length change of only 1/61 or 0.01639 (1.6%). As you can see, these fractional increases in radial arm length will not produce any measurable change in swing speed or distance whatsoever."

It went on to say that:

"Golf clubs were custom built to the same club lengths (irons all the same length and fairway type woods all the same length) prior to the introduction of steel shafts (invented in 1910 and legalized in 1926). Prior to that time hickory shafts were the norm and golf clubs were custom fitted/built to a single-length within a set based upon the static measurements of the individual golfer (wrist-to-floor measurement).

The production and tuning of hickory shafts as well as the rest of the club making process was very time consuming and demanded the skills of highly experienced club makers. Obviously, this was an expensive process and could only be afforded by the wealthy which is why golf originally got the reputation as being a sport only for the very rich and affluent members of society. The advent of the steel shaft changed all of this since sets of golf clubs could now be mass produced very cheaply in factories using unskilled workers. Large sporting goods manufacturers, lured by the huge untapped market for inexpensive sets of golf clubs, jumped in to bring golf to the masses. The only stumbling block was that they could not mass produce these sets while providing single-length custom fitting for each individual customer.

The solution came when it was decided to abandon a proper custom fitting entirely and instead simply incorporate a 1/2 inch incremental step progression between successive irons and woods. That way, regardless of the size of the customer, there would be one or two clubs within a set that would come close to fitting anyone who purchased them (a boon to mass production but a detriment to the unsuspecting golfer).

In other words, the incremental lengths in a set of conventional golf clubs today are the result of a profit motivated mass production decision made in the 1920’s and not based upon any golfing performance criteria whatsoever. It should be noted that hickory shafted golf clubs were also mass produced to a much lesser degree in the 1920’s and 1930’s and is why you may find some of these antique sets with varying club lengths. "

Maybe our clubfitting friends and pros can shed some light into the understanding/

Personally I feel that if that was to be the case, then all the pros would have a custom fitted single length of shaft for all their clubs now. No?

Last edited by jurongtiger on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 2:25 pm

Thats an interesting comment from your friend.

We all play with clubs of varying lengths and assuming the same lie, we never compromise our postures by bending knees and back any more or less with the different shafts to accomodate the difference in length of shafts. All we do is to have the ball played closer or further away from our body.

Your friend would possibly bend his knee all the way to the ground to play a 45" driver and stand up straight as a nail for his 60 degree wedge right?

s-killer wrote:
Bro,

I have a friend who has done up his iron set with all the same length. He explained that it helps him with the address issue, because he don't have to bend his knee or back to adjust to different club length.

However, distance wise, it will be compromised. So you probably have to re-learn the different distance for different club.

Hope it helps
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Since each iron head varies progressively in weight, about 7-8g, if the one length shaft theory is to be used, either the shaft weight goes proportional with the variance in club head weight or the club heads has to stay the same in weight.

I believe the latter is hard to achieve since the amount of steel for a PW with the required loft would be different to say, a butter knife 3 iron.

How to get around that?
Back to top Go down
Cnng121
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Cnng121

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 7:30 pm

From the link i found that we can actually order a set, i am quite interested and trying to see if anyone here has and may wanna give this a try. They make the heads same wt and the length one length. Only the loft varies, seem to me its logically working, and i am not sure whats the downside to this. If this works, we dont have to spend so much time working on the multiple plane of swing. With that the consistency shud be pretty good....
Back to top Go down
slazenger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 pm

think there was several posts about these systems some time back.

can read this article.
http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/OneClub.php?ref
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 1:21 pm

All I can say...

There is still No Professional Players who have used this and have won.

Although its a nice theory concept but will it work?
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:25 pm

jurongtiger wrote:
Thats an interesting comment from your friend.

We all play with clubs of varying lengths and assuming the same lie, we never compromise our postures by bending knees and back any more or less with the different shafts to accomodate the difference in length of shafts. All we do is to have the ball played closer or further away from our body.

Your friend would possibly bend his knee all the way to the ground to play a 45" driver and stand up straight as a nail for his 60 degree wedge right?

Bro, thanks to your posting.

Your explanation in the stance actually helps me a lot last night at range ... now i am able to hit straighter shots with different clubs but same stance Smile

Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:38 pm

this made me think, because i choke down on all my clubs from habit. but i have been struggling with the pitching wedge. maybe i should choke up instead to get to "standard length" . Thanks, certainly food for thought. worth an experiment.
Back to top Go down
Jax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Jax

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 4:38 am

I bought one back about 3 years ago; still have it somewhere....
Came in 5 - PW; and two wood type (cannot remember what they were, threw them away)..
Anyone wants to try it do PM me....
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cnng121
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Cnng121

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 7:38 am

[quote="Jax"]I bought one back about 3 years ago; still have it somewhere....
Came in 5 - PW; and two wood type (cannot remember what they were, threw them away)..
Anyone wants to try it do PM me....
Very Happy
Jax bro, do you find consistency in hitting the balls? Another forumer attached a writeout on the lost of distance. Its an interesting article, may like to borrow it to try it out. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Jax

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 7:45 am

errr....not sure actually, becoz I didn't really get into playing this iron....
hmmm...in fact, come to think of it, never even seen the course...just range....
Sure...U can......pm me your contact and we can arrange you to pick it up from me Smile
Back to top Go down
jmchan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Jax, as the the clubs are tailored to height (WTF) - how tall are you?Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mygolfsucks
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 8:14 pm

Strange... With same length clubs, you will ultimately have to choke down on ur 9, p wedges to get the right distance, unless ur p wedge is 56 deg and ur 9 is 50 deg. So if u choke down , ure effectively changing the length of ur club even though it is same length as ur 4 iron.
Back to top Go down
jmchan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Based on what I read so far the change from 9I (43 deg) to PW (47 deg) is the just the loft. 

When playing single length, should not choke down but allow the loft to adjust the distance.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Few years back, personally I have tried cutting my 3/4/5 irons to my 6i length, becos I can handle up to 6i. It is definitely easier to hit, but the distance is somehow shorter by 5m instead of 10m gap.

Maybe it is just me.

Cheers!.
Back to top Go down
jmchan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Neutralgolfer, you probably have to adjust the weight of the club head and also the lie angle as the original conventional club head was not designed to be used with a shorter shaft.
Back to top Go down
pinhigh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
pinhigh

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi, juz to add my 2cents worth. Me too, bought a lesser brand set n cut the irons from 8-3 to the same  length as my 9iron. Guess the 9 is the one that sits most comfortable. 
My experience with this set of clubs........ 
(Shafts - True Temper LITE XL - Ranged twice n greens once)
- very easy to hit across all the clubs
- distance (like those mentioned earlier) shorter as the club no goes higher. 
(poss reason - I didn't re-fit the overall club weight as well as swing weight)
- very easy to play it into yr mind, causing countless wild guesses n 2nd tots ! NOT GOOD

my personal conclusion - best for the raw beginner, at best, someone who had already started learning golf but wanna hit it sweeter. After that, must progress to the mainstream set n range their irons correctly all over again. 

Juz my sharing, hope it helps. 

cheers ! bounce
Back to top Go down
Cnng121
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Cnng121

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 9:40 am

pinhigh wrote:
Hi, juz to add my 2cents worth. Me too, bought a lesser brand set n cut the irons from 8-3 to the same  length as my 9iron. Guess the 9 is the one that sits most comfortable. 
- very easy to play it into yr mind, causing countless wild guesses n 2nd tots ! NOT GOOD

my personal conclusion - best for the raw beginner, at best, someone who had already started learning golf but wanna hit it sweeter. After that, must progress to the mainstream set n range their irons correctly all over again. 

cheers ! bounce

Thanks for sharing.. Could it be that going to the length of 9 maybe too short? Cos it is almost like hitting with a wedge. I was thinking the length of a 7 iron may not lose that much as i end my set with a 5, which i hardly use. My max is the 6.
Back to top Go down
pinhigh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
pinhigh

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 9:56 am

Cnng121 wrote:
pinhigh wrote:

cheers ! bounce

Thanks for sharing.. Could it be that going to the length of 9 maybe too short? Cos it is almost like hitting with a wedge. I was thinking the length of a 7 iron may not lose that much as i end my set with a 5, which i hardly use. My max is the 6.

No harm trying it out with a spare set I guess ? Hope you'll hv fun experiencing the process. And may it be conclusive too...... cheers !
Back to top Go down
nichjon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
nichjon

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:33 am

Hhhmmm, very interesting post, never thought about shaft lengths like this, anyone done this before can attest to its benefits? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
phatish
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Keen to know the results as well
Back to top Go down
Hongsqqoo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Vu eel quip all
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One iron golf system   One iron golf system I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One iron golf system
Page 1 of 1