Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deep faced drivers

Go down 
+3
Turbo
sob
mrkatsucurry
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:43 am

Hi guys,

Was wondering what a deep face driver does.

I'm guessing.. The head is thicker, ie higher, compared to flatter, I. E. Longer at the back.

What does a deeper face promote? And what kind of swing does it favour?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 9:57 am

Deep face - lower launch, lower back spin

Shallow face - higher launch. more back spin

If you can launch ball high consistently and fighting back spin to get more penetrative flight a deep face driver might help get more distance.

But if you struggle to launch the ball, a shallow face driver would help with the higher launch and lower back spin characteristics.

Also is misses toe to heel or top to bottom?If toe to heel misses the shallow face driver gives you bigger sweet spot compare with a deep face driver.Top to bottom misses, deep face driver.

2 cents worth
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Hmm makes sense. Thx buddy.

Maybe different driver for different conditions?

Soggy ground days, no roll, so high launch more carry better?

Dry conditions, plenty of roll, so low launch more roll might be better?

Tend to feel more comfortable at address with a deep face driver.

Not sure why. Maybe I like burgers more than pancakes?

Misses tend to be near the sole with my r11.

With flatter drivers like Nike and callaway, tend to hit some tiny fats shots, so kena snap hook.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Not different conditions, its different golfers.
Shallow face face drivers with the lower cg help launch the balls and with enuff back spin keeps it in the air for more distance.
Especially good for beginners with lower swing speed

For better players shallow face drivers create too much back spin, hence deep face driver is a preferred choice.
Of course the shafts play a part but that is a side topic.

Hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 9:01 pm

sob wrote:
Not different conditions, its different golfers.
Shallow face face drivers with the lower cg help launch the balls and with enuff back spin keeps it in the air for more distance.
Especially good for beginners with lower swing speed

For better players shallow face drivers create too much back spin, hence deep face driver is a preferred choice.
Of course the shafts play a part but that is a side topic.

Hope that helps!

In addition to what bro sob mentioned above, for slower swing speed, it is advisable to use higher loft driver like 10.5, 11.0 or even 12.0 deg so as to increase launch angle thereby achieving better distance.
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 9:25 pm

Mmmm... Interesting...

I recently tried a couple of drivers with varying results.

Rbz tour 9.5, I think the stock shaft for that is the matrix hd6.
Shots went right and slices, total distance. Averaged 240 yards.

Titleist 913 9.5, Diamana 72.
Shots were draws, average total 270 yards.

Average club head speed was about 104 mph.

Backspin was significantly higher on the rbz, which was a deep faced one.

So results at that shop seemed to point towards heavier shaft and flatter heads. (though I really liked the rbz sound and look)

Recently went to Malaysia alone, posted average drives of 250m, mainly fat shots so they were basically snap hooks. Heng I didn't kill any monkeys. Cranked out a 300m drive from a hilltop tee box. (side note: skilled the 50m pitch after that, but of course my buddies didn't hear about it)

Playing a r11, fubuki alpha 70, tipped to 44 ½.

Alas.... Wanted to how lian to my buddies today at rcc... But... Ended being sushi chef. Sliced everything. Rcc gonna have a lot of second hand balls lying around... Feeling pretty low man....

Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm

After a while its not how far you drive but how accurate you can drive!
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:59 pm

That is very true!

Need some course management skills as well.

Very badly.

Though id like to understand why the clubs were designed that way.

Some deep, some thin, some forged, some cast, some titanium, some of made in Japan, some assembled in Japan....

A lot of marketing and hype every year, and reviews online... Well... After a while Google can only give you that much info.

Even more confusing is the shaft aspect.

So I guess I'd like to get as many experienced views on it as possible.

And quite frankly the guys in this forum been very helpful.

Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 10:21 am

I use a deep-face driver as I already produce a lot of backspin with my drives. I also like the look at address more.

If you're already hitting your driver avg 250m already (with roll), a FW for tee-off would be more than enough for most holes. Take out the risk, use a shorter stick, have a more consistent drive and ultimately, get a better score every hole. That's what I do, course management. Know my strengths and play to them.

There was a time when my driver was not working & I used FW exclusively for tee-off ( although I don't drive as far as you, my swing speed is only about 92-93mph). That allowed me to work on other aspects of my game & at the same time, gave me some time to gain confidence with my driver.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 am

I think to lower the spin significantly, adjusting the swing will be more effective
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 10:25 am

If the driver is "deep faced", I'm assuming the surface area of the face is much larger than a FW?

If so, shouldn't it be more forgiving than a FW?
Besides the length? Maybe 1" longer and the loft ? Maybe 4-5* more than FW?
Shouldn't a modern day 400+cc driver with a big/deep face be more just as or if not more forgiving than a 3W/FW?
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 10:30 am

weesern wrote:
I think to lower the spin significantly, adjusting the swing will be more effective

Tried many times to change swing, but never successful. Picked up golf without good and proper guidance, so incorporated many bad swing habits that proved too tough to correct. My pet move is over-the-top overswing that I just can't seem to correct.

Every time tried to change but suffer at the course so gave up trying. Also no time to commit to the range, so I am now resigned to fact and using equipment to negate some of the bad swing moves.

Swing ugly but still try to enjoy the game more and not think too much.
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 10:39 am

heheh thanks man

was like you as well, using the 3w quite extensively. happier days then.

But had some problems with the shaft.. became too whippy.

Also kinda felt the big dog needed to be taken out for a walk.. poor thing followed me to the range for months without being uncovered... haha

But i recently upgraded the shaft on the driver, so noticed a marked difference.

Quest, noticed youve changed the shaft on your RBZ tour. Did you find any difference compared with the stock tp shaft?

Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 10:47 am

yeah ive got the same overswing and right shoulder problem.

can fix, but too many pre flight control checks kinda clogs the head up.

Trying to swing with eyes closed at the range, so i feel more and dont get distracted.

Without the ball la.

Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 am

I pulled the BB over from my old driver, TM SF2.0.

The stock shaft is the Matrix Ozik HD6S which is a beast of a shaft. Couldn't load it with my swingspeed, was doing slices and pushes, so relegated to the bin for now.

With the BB, I tend to swing less aggressively and so am more comfortable with it.
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 10:56 am

Ssquirrel wrote:
If the driver is "deep faced", I'm assuming the surface area of the face is much larger than a FW?

If so, shouldn't it be more forgiving than a FW?
Besides the length? Maybe 1" longer and the loft ? Maybe 4-5* more than FW?
Shouldn't a modern day 400+cc driver with a big/deep face be more just as or if not more forgiving than a 3W/FW?

My limited understanding is that the shorter shaft on the FW makes it easier to get a good contact with the ball. Also the added loft would reduce side spin, making for more consistent results.
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 11:06 am

ah.... felt the matrix HD6S was doing the same for me. push and slices.

did you feel the rbz head was a lot more different than the Superfast?

Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 am

The below pics might help a bit, with deep face drivers toe and heel misses will be costly in terms of distance, sweet spot is more along the y axis.So you would have to consistently be able to hit near center of driver.

Whereas a shallowface driver would have the sweet spot along the x axis, so if you have toe to heel misses it will be more forgiving.Most golfers will have this problem, hence newer drivers tend to be 460cc to enhance the forgiveness.

Deep faced drivers Burnersuperdeepface
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 11:20 am

mrkatsucurry wrote:
ah.... felt the matrix HD6S was doing the same for me. push and slices.

did you feel the rbz head was a lot more different than the Superfast?

I'm using the RBZ Tour model. So supposed to be neutral face and requires better timing and swing mechanics to make it work. Sweet spot contact feels softer and sounds less loud compared to the SF. Face also felt hotter when struck at the centre and gives good distance.

The SF is closed from what I know. So easier to use. But I tend to launch too high with little roll, even with the BB. Not so easy to do fades compared to the RBZ. I've been using the SF for about a year before the switch.
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 2:37 pm

thanks man.

When i tried the rbz tour it did feel like it had a hotter face compared to my r11.

hmmm.... now to wait for golf direct.....

aiya... think i should just change the shaft on my rbz 3w first.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 3:10 pm

mrkatsucurry wrote:
thanks man.

When i tried the rbz tour it did feel like it had a hotter face compared to my r11.

hmmm.... now to wait for golf direct.....

aiya... think i should just change the shaft on my rbz 3w first.
It is, only that will gd bring in the tour version???
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 3:43 pm

yeah... who knows right? fingers crossed la.

Dont really mind a second hand head at all.

but the tp versions dont really pop up in the clearance sales....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Deep faced drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep faced drivers   Deep faced drivers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deep faced drivers
Page 1 of 1