Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?

Go down 
+8
audi
TourSwing
Slicer51
shamusan
Birdman
joshyo
Technospaz
snagy23
12 posters
AuthorMessage
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? Empty
PostSubject: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi,

Just wish to find out from GRians here if you would choose Hybrid over Fairway wood?
Also maybe wish to state the reason why?
It has become so grey now that most fairway wood and hybrid loft crosses each other, so wish to know the pros and cons of different set ups.
Appreciates your input on your set up and how you approach your set up.

Many thanks!

Regards

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 8:42 pm

I can't play a FW to save my life so yes, a hybrid any given day.

I now have a 3H to 5H in my bag and no FWs.
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Comparing my friends Nike SQ hybrid 2 with 17deg loft against my 18deg loft Maruman 5 wood. Both give me about the same distance. But the 2H feels easier to hit off the deck.

Just my own feel. Either would work for me. Just that i think if i want to be more consistent with my 3 wood, might as well learn to hit my 5 wood properly so it translates to better striking with the 3 wood. If i can hit my 3 wood without problems, might consider switching to a 2H 17deg as it is easier to hit from tighter lies too. Depends on what u want as a player i guess.

Cheers. Beer
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Thank you for all your reply. appreciate it.
Was thinking if i should just stay with hybrid and forget about fairway wood.
most likely for me fairway wood is used for Tee up.
I am still not there for my game, hybrid for me more if i need to play blue tee to reach for those par 3 cross water holes.
Smile
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 12:49 am

A good strike on the fairway wood will give you more distance than a well struck hybrid of the same loft anyday.

Fairway woods generally speaking were designed for going long from the short grass.

Hybrids are designed with the best attributes of both woods and irons to be used in situations where either a wood or iron alone won't quite fit the situation. They'll get you out of trouble and work well as an "almost" replacement for the fairway wood for most golfers.

Having said that, I'll never take the 3 wood out of my bag, I'm not long and I need it to keep up with the longer hitters, and a hybrid doesn't get me there as well as a 3 wood does.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 12:54 am

i dont think a hybrid will go much shorter than a fw... once you've taken into account the probability of a good strike

i simply cant find a 15 degree one tht i really like...
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 12:55 am

Birdman wrote:
A good strike on the fairway wood will give you more distance than a well struck hybrid of the same loft anyday.

Fairway woods generally speaking were designed for going long from the short grass.

Hybrids are designed with the best attributes of both woods and irons to be used in situations where either a wood or iron alone won't quite fit the situation. They'll get you out of trouble and work well as an "almost" replacement for the fairway wood for most golfers.

Having said that, I'll never take the 3 wood out of my bag, I'm not long and I need it to keep up with the longer hitters, and a hybrid doesn't get me there as well as a 3 wood does.

+1 like
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 1:30 am

Pak, good morning. Very Happy

Watching Ryder Cup?
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 1:31 am

Thank you for your contribution Birdman,

I guess 3 wood maybe harder to replace with an hybrid? as i havent really see any that goes to anything like 15-16 degrees, i maybe wrong.

May i ask, when you talk about keeping up with the longer hitters, are you talking about using 3 wood on 2nd shot?

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 1:32 am

Birdman wrote:
Pak, good morning. Very Happy

Watching Ryder Cup?

Good morning Sir,

Yes, am watching it now. You ?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 1:45 am

Same same, and trying to do some work while cooking supper. geek

OT oredi. Enjoy the Ryder Cup ya... Very Happy

Go Europe!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 2:30 am

I find the main difference is trajectory ... for me, the hybrid launches high irrespective of shaft, while I can keep the 3W low especially into the wind ...
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 7:03 am

i think fairway is hard to use coz its long and you have to hit it smoothly, or sweeping it. whereas hybrid, you hit it like iron shot, much easier. i used to hit fairways cun-cun, but now somehow i just cant. when i was hitting my fairway, i cant hit hybrid. now its the opposite. i dont know why, but i think my swing has changed
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 8:03 am

snagy23 wrote:
Thank you for your contribution Birdman,

I guess 3 wood maybe harder to replace with an hybrid? as i havent really see any that goes to anything like 15-16 degrees, i maybe wrong.

May i ask, when you talk about keeping up with the longer hitters, are you talking about using 3 wood on 2nd shot?

Yah snagy23, it's diminishing returns for me with the lower the loft of the hybrid. There are 16 degree hybrids but I won't go there, my limit is 19 degrees. Between a 3 wood and similar lofted hybrid, I hit the 3 wood better and further. The 3 wood is longer shafted and with more mass, that helps me to generate more clubhead speed than the shorter hybrid.

And yes, it's 3 wood on the 2nd shot for long par 4s and 5s, also 1st shot on long par 3s. Very Happy

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 12:30 pm

For FW#3 vs Hybrid - Without a doubt, I will use my FW#3 (13 deg) as I need the distance for second shot PAR5 hole.

For FW#5 vs Hybrid - I can still consider a hybrid ... Depending on the course setup ...
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi Turbo,

Thank you for your input, may i know if that means the set up should be better with a 3FW and 3 hybrid, than say a 3FW, 5FW and maybe 4Hybrid?

I am learning to do my set up too, currently, im still learning how to launch my burner super fast 2.0 3hybrid with compliment of my calllaway razr X 3 (21*).

Another question, is it better to own same brand of hybrid say, rescue in different loft?

Thank you all for your patience, as i am still figuring out how to configure my game, but lessen the need to spend and try, which can be really expensive route to go by.

Smile
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 2:37 pm

snagy,

just do a simple exercise...

say 5i is your longest iron, how far u hit and find out the loft n length of the club....

your callway 3H, how far u hit n whats the loft n length of the club...

if u are new to the game, i think a 5w would be more suitable than a 3w...

a conventional 5w is abt 18/19 loft with a overall club length of 42in....

once u know the distance of these clubs.... u just fill in the gap in the distances u want to cover

say your 5i gives u 150m, 3H gives 170m, the 5w gives 190m....

then look for any club that gives u 160m and 180m....(by looking at loft n overall club length)

that will bridge the distances u wanna cover...

boleh??

Swing
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Wah .... Master slinger.... After our annual game , pls advice me on how to setup my bag.... Don hold back hor....even stand or cart bag also tell me hor
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Thank you Slinger for your advice.

Ah, i havent really look indepth of my distance coverage for each club.
I am not a long hitter, think i will take a look at those distance and find out what i need to cover those. cheers!
Back to top Go down
onime
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
onime

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 4:01 pm

IMO FW is for longer distance and roll. whereas Hybrid is more for soft landing.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 4:06 pm

Sorry off topic here slightly but still relate to question on hybrid and FW. After all these discussion, are we saying that hybrid have sold better then fairway wood now.

Are all the top branded producing and selling more hybrid than FW now ?

Anybody has data or where to Google ?
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 6:28 pm

pak, i think fairway wood still sells more than hybrid.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Sorry off topic here slightly but still relate to question on hybrid and FW. After all these discussion, are we saying that hybrid have sold better then fairway wood now.

Are all the top branded producing and selling more hybrid than FW now ?

Anybody has data or where to Google ?

I think you need to remember that hybrids were meant to replace long irons, not FWs. FWs remain a staple part of most golfers' bags. So, to say that hybrids sell better than FWs is not correct since I don't think that it's an apples-to-apples comparison.

But, if you're wondering if clubmakes are selling their 3Hs more than their 3Is, I think that's a pretty safe statement to make Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?   Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will you choose a hybrid over fairway wood?
Page 1 of 1