Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?

Go down 
+5
pocketace
Begbie
Khorkar
tjy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
tjy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? Empty
PostSubject: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Am rather new to the sport and am still having lessons with instructors. However, I do practice on my own rather often and current using a Stiff Shaft on my Driver. For the Irons all are on regular.

As I am rather new, I do believe that my swing is not that good, and am still trying to improve. My BIG Question is, is it better that I change my driver to a regular shaft or remain it as a stiff setup ? Am feeling that my swing is not that powerful to use a stiff shaft and it's kinda feeling too hard! Would it be a better opinion to simply practice practice and practice or would it be better for me to try on a Regular shaft?

Your opinion will help alot !

Thanks to the pros..
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Try your buddy's driver and see if there is any difference.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Can you tell if your drivers shots as in is it Hook, Slice, or straight?
Back to top Go down
tjy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Have tried a r7 on regular shaft, seems straighter and a longer distance.

on stiff shaft, it seems to not be able to attain a longer distance, in fact it just doesn't seems to go straight.. tends to bend towards to right.. if is to the right, it should be slice right?
Back to top Go down
tjy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 8:49 pm

in fact, there seems to be alot of different opinions that makes me rather confused.

I have been told that

1) shaft is very important. If i'm playing with a wrong type of shaft, it will do me no good...

and another school of though

2) just keep practicing, 1 day you will get it...

confused !
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 pm

Reminds me of the analogy... Taking the blue pill or actually start exercising ...
Back to top Go down
tjy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Begbie wrote:
Reminds me of the analogy... Taking the blue pill or actually start exercising ...

hahaha ! Bro good analogy !!!!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 9:51 pm

tjy wrote:
Have tried a r7 on regular shaft, seems straighter and a longer distance.

on stiff shaft, it seems to not be able to attain a longer distance, in fact it just doesn't seems to go straight.. tends to bend towards to right.. if is to the right, it should be slice right?

sounds like a slice to me
dude, for what its worth, why don't you just get a reg flex shaft to try. Lots of bros here may have stock shaft in Reg flex, they probably be happy to sell you for a song since they got no use for it. Just ask...

or go to a club fitter... it need not be expensive. They may even have old pull outs worth a shot. Never try, never know.

Its a bit of trial and error, it is part of the journey, enjoy the journey.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Actually for me, i think it's u find a equipment to suit your swing now get a swing to your equipment. Some people might think differently.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Question: Do u hv a coach u go to..? If yes he shd be able to recommend the kinda flex (R or S) in shaft for you based on observing your swing ... If not and u r a DIY golfer u shd at least go to a fitter (such professionals are the way to go to correctly determine the flex needed ) and hv a check on your club speed which usually is a major determinant of the most suitable flex on the shaft for u... then theres a choice of shaft materials out there - graphite, steel or a combo. Flex is the amount that the shaft will bend when it is swung. Technically if u are able to find the right shaft you'll swing the club easier and hopefully get more distance out of your shots.
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Hey ... If I'm not wrong ... U mentioned u are still having lessons? Would you like to keep it really simple by getting a regular stock shaft?

Y do u want to make yoyr learning so tough right fr the beginning?

2 years fr now n many games later... U will realised pippin was right ... Enjoy the journey bro !
Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
3131T

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 10:40 pm

As u r on lessons, get ur coach to check ur driver swing as u may be just on iron swing when started ur 1st few learning lessons from ur coach...

If u r having a slice swing, chances that with R or S flex, u will still cut the ball...

Back to top Go down
tjy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 10:44 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
Question: Do u hv a coach u go to..? If yes he shd be able to recommend the kinda flex (R or S) in shaft for you based on observing your swing ... If not and u r a DIY golfer u shd at least go to a fitter (such professionals are the way to go to correctly determine the flex needed ) and hv a check on your club speed which usually is a major determinant of the most suitable flex on the shaft for u... then theres a choice of shaft materials out there - graphite, steel or a combo. Flex is the amount that the shaft will bend when it is swung. Technically if u are able to find the right shaft you'll swing the club easier and hopefully get more distance out of your shots.

yes I do have a coach . his reccommendation was a R shaft..
Back to top Go down
tjy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 10:46 pm

pippin wrote:
Hey ... If I'm not wrong ... U mentioned u are still having lessons? Would you like to keep it really simple by getting a regular stock shaft?

2 years fr now n many games later... U will realised pippin was right ... Enjoy the journey bro !

hi bro ! thanks..yea, totally agree with u ! Why make my learning so tough right from the beginning ? hmmm... i guess i will just change it to a R flex stock shaft....
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:15 am

tjy wrote:
pippin wrote:

hi bro ! thanks..yea, totally agree with u ! Why make my learning so tough right from the beginning ? hmmm... i guess i will just change it to a R flex stock shaft....

Your swing will evolve... give it time ...

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?   Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing shaft stiffness or improving Swing?
Page 1 of 1