Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Fitness

Go down 
+20
mUAr_cHEe
hkhamateur
nientsu
bigrockshow
hardrock
Denmeister
weesern
eiji
jeffman88
lla23
rlhk
sob
Derek
pushslice
ocp23
Suzuki
pippin
Duval_S
shimizu.toruk
JonL_TK
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

Golf Fitness - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 9:33 am

nientsu wrote:
I always felt that you do not play golf to keep fit. Instead you have to keep yourself fit to play golf and to reduce injuries as well.

Are there any golf-centric workouts that anyone is doing currently? care to share?

Totally agree. I've been missing gym since the arrival of the new baby and when I do find time to head to the range, I find that I start to hit like crap (again!) due to the loss of strength in the core.

Golf-centric workouts wise, I find doing planks (http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm) really help in isolating and strengthening the core. There's this other exercise that is being helpful to the swing, and it just involves a medicine ball:

1. Grab a medicine call of appropriate weight, preferable those with handles on the sides. Make sure your right elbow is still facing to your right.
2. Hold the medicine ball on your right shoulder (like how you would carry a sack of rice)
3. Do a lunge by stepping out with your left leg first. Once you reach the lunge position, turn your body to the left (coz you're holding the ball on your right), making sure your right elbow crosses the left knee
4. Return to the lunge position, and back to standing position.

This is 1 rep. Do about 8-12 reps each side.

HTH!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 10:13 am

ok. just came upon this thread now..

My mum swears by Yoga. She goes for at least twice a week. I think it is one session of PT and one group lesson. If she manages to get extra time, she also squeezes in hot yoga.

I used to be real serious about golf fitness as well. I signed up for a 24 lesson package and I did 1 PT session per week. I will do 2 other cardio sessions of run/cycle and 2 days of weight trainings for the rest of the week. i also noticed i play better golf then and was also more focused. Also probably because life was less hectic and market was good back then.

Recently, I also decided to get more serious and try to get back into the game. There is motivation to shut some mouths and get some money back. Work and family is now abit in the way. I will not be so quick to write it off as an excuse as work is the basic and fundamental source of income for me and my opponents and no other thing should be more important than family in another person's life, especially when the little ones are concerned.

I did develop a plan for lessons, range, short game and fitness plans. Work tends to get into the way and unexpected things happen. My son just recovered from HFMD and there was a scare recently after one of the immunization jabs and things were not going on smoothly. There are also other factors of my job that keeps butting in and interfering with my day time plans. The only thing going on for me right now is the fitness plans part. This is only part that is flexible and adaptable that is why it is on schedule.

I got a little carried away by it as well and now starting to get a bit more serious into it and as mentioned before. I set a side goal to do 2 marathons soon. It might be reduced to just 1 by 2013 and I really do not want to get too sidetracked.

Anyway, before I OT to a story of my life, I just want to also reiterate that most have already shared here.

Important thing is development of core muscles, which is obviously crucial to strength and body control during your swing. But do not forget that you need to balance it out evenly with equal amount or not more time at the range to develop muscle memory and the 'mini-muscles'... You can pump all the iron in the gym you want to become the next Arnie but do not forget that all golf swings are only 100%. There are times where you are require to only go down to 50% or 60%. (Yes, Arch-nemisis. I am aware of that.)

There is also another issue of stamina. This one just takes time and pure hardwork. No shortcuts around it. More cardiovascular activities is the key. Running, swimming, cycling... erm.. Derek, technically, bedroom activities count as a form of cardiovascular work out but the amount of bedroom acitivities that you need to do to be of equivalent levels to say a 3km run? Erm.. I trust you will be able to google that out. Why is stamina important? Ask yourself. Do you feel still 100% after 18 holes? Does it make sense to you that to be at your best, you should be at 100% at every start of each hole? By being at 100% at the start of each hole, this is the only way you know you will be at the top of your game.

Do not underestimate any part of your body as well for its effect for golf. Some trivia to throw at you...

1. Long hitters actually have a very strong lower body and a stable base to be able to hit far.
2. Aside from your core muscles, obviously your arms but note that even your shoulders do play an important part in hitting it hard.
3. Key factor actually for strengthening the muscles is actually not so much for the benefit of hitting it longer. To hit it longer, just concentrate on hitting it better. You will be surprised how much further you can hit it longer if you just hit it more spot on. Working out is actually more for injury prevention.

so much more to share... but i better get back to my work. Smile
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 10:17 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
ok. just came upon this thread now..

My mum swears by Yoga. She goes for at least twice a week. I think it is one session of PT and one group lesson. If she manages to get extra time, she also squeezes in hot yoga.

I used to be real serious about golf fitness as well. I signed up for a 24 lesson package and I did 1 PT session per week. I will do 2 other cardio sessions of run/cycle and 2 days of weight trainings for the rest of the week. i also noticed i play better golf then and was also more focused. Also probably because life was less hectic and market was good back then.

Recently, I also decided to get more serious and try to get back into the game. There is motivation to shut some mouths and get some money back. Work and family is now abit in the way. I will not be so quick to write it off as an excuse as work is the basic and fundamental source of income for me and my opponents and no other thing should be more important than family in another person's life, especially when the little ones are concerned.

I did develop a plan for lessons, range, short game and fitness plans. Work tends to get into the way and unexpected things happen. My son just recovered from HFMD and there was a scare recently after one of the immunization jabs and things were not going on smoothly. There are also other factors of my job that keeps butting in and interfering with my day time plans. The only thing going on for me right now is the fitness plans part. This is only part that is flexible and adaptable that is why it is on schedule.

I got a little carried away by it as well and now starting to get a bit more serious into it and as mentioned before. I set a side goal to do 2 marathons soon. It might be reduced to just 1 by 2013 and I really do not want to get too sidetracked.

Anyway, before I OT to a story of my life, I just want to also reiterate that most have already shared here.

Important thing is development of core muscles, which is obviously crucial to strength and body control during your swing. But do not forget that you need to balance it out evenly with equal amount or not more time at the range to develop muscle memory and the 'mini-muscles'... You can pump all the iron in the gym you want to become the next Arnie but do not forget that all golf swings are only 100%. There are times where you are require to only go down to 50% or 60%. (Yes, Arch-nemisis. I am aware of that.)

There is also another issue of stamina. This one just takes time and pure hardwork. No shortcuts around it. More cardiovascular activities is the key. Running, swimming, cycling... erm.. Derek, technically, bedroom activities count as a form of cardiovascular work out but the amount of bedroom acitivities that you need to do to be of equivalent levels to say a 3km run? Erm.. I trust you will be able to google that out. Why is stamina important? Ask yourself. Do you feel still 100% after 18 holes? Does it make sense to you that to be at your best, you should be at 100% at every start of each hole? By being at 100% at the start of each hole, this is the only way you know you will be at the top of your game.

Do not underestimate any part of your body as well for its effect for golf. Some trivia to throw at you...

1. Long hitters actually have a very strong lower body and a stable base to be able to hit far.
2. Aside from your core muscles, obviously your arms but note that even your shoulders do play an important part in hitting it hard.
3. Key factor actually for strengthening the muscles is actually not so much for the benefit of hitting it longer. To hit it longer, just concentrate on hitting it better. You will be surprised how much further you can hit it longer if you just hit it more spot on. Working out is actually more for injury prevention.

so much more to share... but i better get back to my work. Smile

Waiting for duffy's reply .....
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 10:18 am

Muar chee: thanks for the great sharing this monday morning... sunny
Back to top Go down
lla23
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:56 pm

All exercises does benefits an individual, BUT.. It doesn't get u better or the best, e.g : if u wanna use a shorter iron for better accuracy rather then keep relying on a longer iron..

There's factors to look at before u choose an exercise to improve ur swings..

Like, your overall flexibility of upper and lower limbs, any limitation ? like e.g - unforeseen weakness of a particular area ? Or chronic nagging pain around shoulder region or forearm causing elbow joint pain? Are you rotating using ur hips more rather than your lower back?

Such selection of exercises to improve a particular should leave to someone who knows movement and training well so u spend lesser time to find out by yourself and also evaluation should be done to assess the body before even planning a exercises...
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:30 pm

but personal trainers are expensive..no?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:40 pm

nientsu wrote:

You pay for what u get. u want 100% attention. 100% of the price. You only need 10% attention, then pay for 10% of price...
Back to top Go down
lla23
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Well, there's a saying goes, "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" if u really wanna improve ur games and an overall good condition of health... Why not a trainer with e right accountabilty...

Of cos, everything is negotiable when u tell ur needs and limitation e.g (budget or time constraint) to a trainer, what u need is someone to teach right excuation with strict technique of an exercises and also accountabilty to track your progress.. How is expensive is expensive to u bro? Mind sharing?

nientsu wrote:
Back to top Go down
lla23
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:44 pm

totally agree with u...

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
nientsu wrote:

You pay for what u get. u want 100% attention. 100% of the price. You only need 10% attention, then pay for 10% of price...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:52 pm

nientsu is a fellow gym rat... and i believe with some other people i know in this forum as well.. they do not believe in a getting a PT trainer.

Hey. it works for some folks. They just need to be abit more hardworking. Alot of googling. More reading. And even more trial and error. Just do not get injured along the way.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:52 pm

often times i feel drop in energy at the back nine. the feeling is like if you're running low on sugar in the afternoon and need to eat something to feel better. Sometimes I have this same feeling just sitting in the office.. In worst case scenarios, my hands would shake and heart beats faster. I try to prevent it by eating some banana or chicken pau or egg sandwich every 5/6 holes.

So is it just lack of stamina or something more sinister like metabolism issue? I don't do any cardio activities. I only do hamstring/calf stretches, hip raises to take care of old back injury. Used to do side planks, lunges regularly etc but recently stopped.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:59 pm

panji.. 2 ways to keep the metabolic rate up... one is by providing fuel.. more eating but smarter eating. preferably something with more energy and less fat/sugar.

another way is to keep your fitness up so that your metabolic rate can be improved.

again, you got to consider which one is better for your health-wise and your current state of body.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Thought of getting a trainer honestly.

was quoted about 100 per session and this trainer recommends at least twice a week. That works out to be an average of about $800-$1000 per month.

If you got any recommendation of someone that charges something lover but for a longer term session, i am willing to hear about it.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:04 pm

that time at planet fitness... now true fitness... i remember my sessions worked out to be about $60 each session. but I signed up for 24 lesson package...

yours is still cali?
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:12 pm

nientsu wrote:

was quoted about 100 per session and this trainer recommends at least twice a week. That works out to be an average of about $800-$1000 per month.

If you got any recommendation of someone that charges something lover but for a longer term session, i am willing to hear about it.

guess there's a price to pay for everything... incl fitness...
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:21 pm

I just wiki-ed Hypoglycemic and my symptoms are all listed there....dang am I diabetic? Suspect

I resign myself as pig..must snack during the game. Let the dogs roam and pee the course.
Back to top Go down
lla23
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:21 pm

There's factors that you are feeling this way, lack of RIGHT NUTRITION and TRAINING does make u feel this way, based on my experience.. 80% of e population thinks they are eating well but the usually is the selection of food that needs to beware of..

pushslice wrote:
often times i feel drop in energy at the back nine. the feeling is like if you're running low on sugar in the afternoon and need to eat something to feel better. Sometimes I have this same feeling just sitting in the office.. In worst case scenarios, my hands would shake and heart beats faster. I try to prevent it by eating some banana or chicken pau or egg sandwich every 5/6 holes.

So is it just lack of stamina or something more sinister like metabolism issue? I don't do any cardio activities. I only do hamstring/calf stretches, hip raises to take care of old back injury. Used to do side planks, lunges regularly etc but recently stopped.
Back to top Go down
lla23
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:28 pm

I can help you with that...

nientsu wrote:

Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 4:15 pm

pushslice wrote:

Bro, since my back injury 2 yrs back, i used to do only what you did ie. stretches and hips lift etc, and felt the same way during last few holes... however, i have started to go back to running (around 5-7km a week) and felt the difference. I am able to complete an entire 18 holes like i started. I was even able to play 2x 18 holes on some days...

i believe it may be due to stamina issues. And if you have relatively low metabolism rate, i would suggest you skip carbo after 6pm... i am currently doing this and i felt alot fitter now. This is a "low cost" option and hope it helps you get fitter too...
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Is duffy safe ?? or outstation .. I am feeling worried ... so many replies but still no post yet ...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 6:58 am

He enjoying how garden last night leh.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 am

pushslice wrote:

Bro,

Tiger Woods snacks on the course too. So I think you're fine.

If I don't eat something every few holes. I can feel my engine run out of fuel. We tend to underestimate golf as an exercise sometimes.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:46 am

Lee36328 wrote:

We tend to underestimate golf as an exercise sometimes.

Calories Burned with Golf

One hour of playing golf and carrying clubs without a cart can burn 329 calories for a 160-lb. person, 410 calories for a 200-lb. person and 491 calories for a 240-lb. person, according to MayoClinic.com. Harvard Health Publications estimates that a half hour of playing golf and carrying clubs can burn 165 calories for a 125-lb. person, 205 calories for a 155-lb. person and 244 calories for a 185-lb. person. Playing golf with a cart burns fewer calories. A half hour of golf with a cart burns about 105 calories for a 125-lb. person, 130 calories for a 155-lb. person and 155 calories for a 185-lb. person, according to Harvard Health Publications. To burn the most calories, walk the whole course and carry your own clubs.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/438945-how-much-weight-can-you-lose-playing-golf/#ixzz22AG6oWgQ
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:46 am

jeffman88 wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:

One hour of playing golf and carrying clubs without a cart can burn 329 calories for a 160-lb. person, 410 calories for a 200-lb. person and 491 calories for a 240-lb. person, according to MayoClinic.com. Harvard Health Publications estimates that a half hour of playing golf and carrying clubs can burn 165 calories for a 125-lb. person, 205 calories for a 155-lb. person and 244 calories for a 185-lb. person. Playing golf with a cart burns fewer calories. A half hour of golf with a cart burns about 105 calories for a 125-lb. person, 130 calories for a 155-lb. person and 155 calories for a 185-lb. person, according to Harvard Health Publications. To burn the most calories, walk the whole course and carry your own clubs.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/438945-how-much-weight-can-you-lose-playing-golf/#ixzz22AG6oWgQ

I was just wondering exactly about that, and you posted it like you read my mind, thanks!

Now, add in the element of our afternoon heat and humidity and sometimes dehydration, and we begin to see the picture.

For instance, ever try changing a tire under the sun? My uncle from UK did so in KL, and promptly got a heat stroke.

There we are, sweat dripping off our foreheads, trying to calm our muscles to make a smooth putting stroke.

When the professionals came to KLGCC for the Malaysian Open, many of them wilted under the hot sun and humid air, so different from the cool, dry european climate. So, it's not just us.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:53 am

jeffman88 wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:

So, for my weight of 180 lbs, it works out to be 1240 calories for 4 hours with a cart.

Found this useful website, which puts it at 1140 calories for 4 hours, near enough.

Jogging for 2 hours straight is about 1200 calories according to this website.

So, for my weight, 4 hours golf is about the same as 2 hours jogging. Can't remember the last time I jogged 2 hours.

Is it any wonder we get hungry half way through a round of golf?

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calorie-calculator.asp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness   Golf Fitness - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf Fitness
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next