Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...

Go down 
+23
Tituman
TigaWood
TourSwing
dmateo
Shanks!
buweeza
TDO
Cyrano
Turbo
audi
youming
jaketang
botak
CoastGuy
eiji
bkll
mizzy
golf_snowman
blee67
beehome
danielleecm
Duval_S
Begbie
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  Empty
PostSubject: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:45 am

Anyone experience the same.. as much as I tried... Hitting a 4i off the deck is almost a daunting task.. I hv given up and decided on hybrids for my rounds..

Any pros got any advice on this ? I still would love to hit a 4i someday...

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:53 am

4i..!!!!....bro....I can only hit 5i....and that also I need to tee it up
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:58 am

hi bro,
heard from a pro before to hit 4i off the deck, u need to swing faster and longer lag for stronger compression. hope that i am correct here...thanks
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:21 am

i hv removed my 4i from my bag. 4i is tough, man. Really admire those guys tt r good with irons.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:25 am

Begbie wrote:
Anyone experience the same.. as much as I tried... Hitting a 4i off the deck is almost a daunting task.. I hv given up and decided on hybrids for my rounds..

The way i see you play yesterday bro, you dont need a 4i..... What a Face
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:49 am

hitting 4 iron...the harder you try to hit...the worse it become...

i would suggest to just keep it short and sweet and swing relax...dun even try to think to swing hard...maybe that could help...keke

it least it helps me ....haha
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 12:24 pm

blee wrote:
Begbie wrote:

The way i see you play yesterday bro, you dont need a 4i..... What a Face

Hybrids saved me on many of those occasions.. and they hardly bite the green. Many shots rolled past and had to chip back up..

That's also one reason why I've been putting time more on practice with my chips from ard greens, fringes etc. Helped quite a few times to save par but that element of risk for a bogey or worse still present...

So I'm hoping I could learn to hit off the deck with the 4i so that when I hit it flushed and on, it will stick rather then roll off like a hybrid does for the same..

Or u could share how u can hit ur 5 wood high and land soft like u did ... That's impressive actually..

Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 1:22 pm

I have a bit of a scoop in the swing that is why it is high and no distance la....
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 1:53 pm

blee wrote:
I have a bit of a scoop in the swing that is why it is high and no distance la....

sure a not? 5 wood from the deck 170m lands soft.. and more important.. straight and accurate..
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bkll

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 2:05 pm

How to hit long iron:

Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 2:10 pm

mizzy wrote:
blee wrote:

sure a not? 5 wood from the deck 170m lands soft.. and more important.. straight and accurate..

Erm, for 5 wood short lor...
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Thats a good video bkll... thanks for sharing..

maybe will try that at the range when I have the time...
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 2:25 pm

blee wrote:

Didn't bubba winning the Masters say something..

its not how you swing, its how the ball gets to the hole.

u can scoop, chicken wing, hit it left and hit it right. as long as you u get the ball closer to the hole.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 2:35 pm

eiji wrote:
blee wrote:

Didn't bubba winning the Masters say something..

its not how you swing, its how the ball gets to the hole.

u can scoop, chicken wing, hit it left and hit it right. as long as you u get the ball closer to the hole.

True true... no denying that.. Ideally I would like to get a shorter club to hit the approach shot and not a long iron as the percentage error is much higher...
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 2:38 pm

on sunday...Rex was hitting his new Yonex 3 wood closer to the hole than i think he would have hit his next longer club to it.

he setup lots of birdie opportunities with that 3 wood.

i think it just boils down to confidence.

Whether its hitting a 4 hybrid or 4iron.

In begbie's case, if its because the 4 hybrid isn't getting enough spin to land softly, he can consider getting a shaft that will either have higher launch, higher spin or higher launch/spin to help the hybrid shots land and have less roll out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 2:46 pm

eiji wrote:
on sunday...Rex was hitting his new Yonex 3 wood closer to the hole than i think he would have hit his next longer club to it.

he setup lots of birdie opportunities with that 3 wood.

i think it just boils down to confidence.

Whether its hitting a 4 hybrid or 4iron.

In begbie's case, if its because the 4 hybrid isn't getting enough spin to land softly, he can consider getting a shaft that will either have higher launch, higher spin or higher launch/spin to help the hybrid shots land and have less roll out.

Thread Nice nice response bro. thanks
Back to top Go down
CoastGuy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoastGuy

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 3:04 pm

At impact, it is even important that the head stay behind the ball to increase the launch angle for a long iron.
You can also try to grip down on the 4 iron and feel like you are hitting a 7 iron and see how it goes..

At least the above works for me... Smile
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 3:32 pm

My understand is a hybrid is suppose to launch higher, thus land softer compared to a long iron, no?
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 4:51 pm

i read somewhere n hear somewhere, u suppose to set up n hit the hybrid more like a iron than u wld for a wood... more of a hitting down then a sweeping up motion....

and by right, due to design of hybrid, it suppose to launch up n land softly if hit correctly... unless u topped it...

i hit hybrids more often than long irons whether in fairway or rough.... well some1 told me, even if u topped it slightly, it will flew straighter n further as you wld with an iron... and i strongly agree with tht... Laughing

i feel hybrid really helps ppl like me who dun have time to practise n not talented at all.....
Back to top Go down
youming
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi, for my case a bit different. I hit woods and hybrid always misdirection, so that finally give up. After 6 month, I more like use long iorn. For 4i, I like use it for second shot, it can reach my distance and direction in control.

The key point is hit the correct point of club and can not force it.

It is may different with others.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 pm

My hybrids are not launching high.. pretty low maybe most up to 2 times my height... I can see the ball spinning right to left. Getting lots of draws...and roll out pretty much another 15-20m on the fairways..

On a par 5 second shot, that's exactly what I need to maximise the distance.

Thought abt it perhaps the suggestion of a higher launch shaft for my 4 hybrid will be good alternative... And leave the existing shaft on my 3H..

With regards to the 4i.. decided to keep it in storage till I hv more time in the range.

So. any suggestion for a higher launching shaft ?

Thanks again guys ...
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 7:08 pm

And last to add... I can't really hit a fade with these hybrids... In my hands all I know is how to get draws from them... Makes it tougher to check too..
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 8:31 pm

speaking of hybrid, somehow i just cant really hit hybrid, most of the time i topped it. i can hit 4i much better than hybrid. any advice from bros here on how to hit solid with hybrid? thanks
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 8:59 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
hitting 4 iron...the harder you try to hit...the worse it become...

i would suggest to just keep it short and sweet and swing relax...dun even try to think to swing hard...maybe that could help...keke

it least it helps me ....haha

I agree with your swing mantra ... Just focus on making a complete turn and swing with a smooth tempo like you are swinging a 6i or 5i.
Back to top Go down
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Audi.. think we are from the same mould.. i can't really hit my hybrids on the course..
i have better chances hitting my 5i or 4i..

decided to forget about hybrids and focus on my irons.. maybe we are made that way.. hahahahhahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...    Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can only hit my 4i off the tee.. but not off the deck...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next