Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap

Go down 
+20
Lee36328
mengteck71
hkhamateur
eiji
cjc81
ocp23
enwee
Derek
TigaWood
Turbo
CoRN
jaketang
TourSwing
efoong
andrew-golf
pushslice
blee67
Duval_S
slinger
willbudiman
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
willbudiman

semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap Empty
PostSubject: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:15 pm

hey guys,

was just wondering if there is any mid-handicappers here who are using semi-blade iron set and what are your opinions on them, whether its compatible or not? im thinking of getting one to replace my cavity back as i would like to get more feedback from my irons. FYI, im about 14-15 hcp rite now

thanks
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:28 pm

not trying to be a smartalec...

pls define "semi blade"...... never seen one before

and your cavity back = player cavity????

me using player cavity for the longest time....

dun see any reason for me to change....

cos me happy with my 8-10 pars per round.....

mayb ppl will say that blades can work the ball better...

but i always think working the swing can do just that too....

jmho
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:29 pm

I think blade or semi or quarter blade is not a factor...coz I am a handicapp literally.

think the shaft is more important

Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
willbudiman

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 pm

i mean like titleist ap2, for example, or bridgestone j40 dual pocket..currently using maruman conductor ad460..been using it for 2 years already..definitely a game improvement iron set..but it stops there. nothing more..now i feel stuck with those irons
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:36 pm

slinger wrote:

What a Face Slinger, this Sunday we play holiday golf hor? affraid
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:38 pm

hey...what do you mean by semi blade?

Do you mean blades with some metal taken out like Cobra S3 MB and TM Rac MB?

or just forged cavity back like Cally Razr X forged, Titleist CB, Mizuno MP 59?

If you are mid handicap, the muscle back blades aren't too much of a difference from player CBs from 7iron to PW. The long blade irons however can be challenging to launch a ball with adequate carry. CoG being higher on the club face you know..

I am also mid hcap and play blades in 7-P, CB in 5-6 and hybrids in 3-4.

As always, try before committing. It's just our opinions, and neither of us swing like you do Very Happy
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
willbudiman

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:39 pm

bro slinger,
Beer
probably u are a seasoned player thats why lol!
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:40 pm

blee wrote:
slinger wrote:

u sure a not??? 8-10 only meh??
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:41 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
blee wrote:
slinger wrote:

Andrew, the rest all birdies.... affraid
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:42 pm

blee wrote:
andrew-golf wrote:
blee wrote:
slinger wrote:

Andrew, the rest all birdies.... affraid

White Flag White Flag White Flag

Slinger, this thurs i wanna cancel.. i go range practise for 5 years first
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
willbudiman

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:43 pm

pushslice wrote:
hey...what do you mean by semi blade?

Do you mean blades with some metal taken out like Cobra S3 MB and TM Rac MB?

or just forged cavity back like Cally Razr X forged, Titleist CB, Mizuno MP 59?

If you are mid handicap, the muscle back blades aren't too much of a difference from player CBs from 7iron to PW. The long blade irons however can be challenging to launch a ball with adequate carry. CoG being higher on the club face you know..

I am also mid hcap and play blades in 7-P, CB in 5-6 and hybrids in 3-4.

As always, try before committing. It's just our opinions, and neither of us swing like you do Very Happy

bro pushslice,

i dunno what they called it.its somewhere in between blades and cavity back/ game improvement irons..probably like the titleist cbs..just want more workability and feedback from my irons.

bought the maruman conductor when i was still a 24 handicappers and it definitely improved my game, and now i feel i need smthg new to improve my game further, or is it just me having itchy backside that i need to scratch? ROFL ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:47 pm

u like this set???

http://www.cobragolf.com/golf-clubs/2011-cobra-s3-pro-irons
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Ok, you mean player cavity back. Thin topline, thin sole, got cavity behind right?

just itchy backside bro...itchy backside. If you want feedback then just see the ball flight hor, I never buy into "Oh think I hit the toe just now, therefore I must do X next time" argument Laughing
Back to top Go down
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
efoong

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:02 pm

just go and try it ...your hand wouldn't lie to you...and also depends on your game characteristic and swing characteristic as well...

some time angle of attack also can be consider when you choose a set
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:04 pm

From what I know Semi - blades are usually referred to as muscle-cavities ... e.g. Mizuno MP 53 and 59, Titleist CB etc ...

AP2s are forged - cavities ... and so are my Diablo Forged ...

Dont know much about your existing set ... but forged - cavities are great! and highly recommended!

I'd imagine Semi-blades for a 14-15 handicapper would be a bit demanding , and hence require a lot of practice time ... and therefore may ultimately improve your game! ... your scores, however, will probably get worse before they get better ... so depends how sadistic you want to be with yourself
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:15 pm

play with a single hcp player, use a cavity back irons... told me, "i not pro, no time for practise..why do i need blade to make the game more difficult"

played with another low single hcp maybe turning pro.. used a over-sized cavity back... tell me.." this one so easy to hit, why need blade? "

Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:16 pm

our fren slinger here can easily play 80 n below.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoRN

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:55 pm

willbudiman wrote:
hey guys,

was just wondering if there is any mid-handicappers here who are using semi-blade iron set and what are your opinions on them, whether its compatible or not? im thinking of getting one to replace my cavity back as i would like to get more feedback from my irons. FYI, im about 14-15 hcp rite now

thanks

Hey Will, just wondering why you're not after a full blade but a semi blade if feedback is what you're after.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Duval_S wrote:
I think blade or semi or quarter blade is not a factor...coz I am a handicapp literally.

think the shaft is more important

Yes, the shaft is the engine of the whole club but the full muscle-backed head is less forgiving because it has a much smaller sweet spot versus a cavity-backed clubhead. Therefore, if one hit it wrongly, the result can be more pronounce versus a cavity backed club. In other words, if you are using a cavity backed club, the ball still flies a reasonable distance if one fails to flush the sweet spot against the ball. However, I can't say the same for a muscle-blacked clubhead.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 9:19 pm

Go for Nike combo....best of triple world.
got blade, got cavity, got pocket cavity... everything oso have.
And it is forged some more, I heard it is Endo forged!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
willbudiman

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 9:50 pm

wow..got so many replies i dunno which one to reply to first.. lol!

pushslice is probably right..just itchy backside ROFL but then again, dont we need to have itchy backside then and again to spur us to play better? everytime i have something new in the bag, i can't wait to try it out even if its just a hybrid, or a wedge..keep thinking abt them day and night scratch

however, i also agree with Tourswing that it will force me to alter my swing for the better to be able to use them..im getting lazy with these game improvement irons Rolling Eyes ..sad but true

Corn: i figured i would still need some of the forgiveness that a muscle back offers, but the feedback of a blade

does anyone here use a BFG iron set? would love to get some info on them Beer

Last edited by willbudiman on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong wording)
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 pm

so many paths available ... I can only share my own journey and preferences

Started with standard cast iron hand me downs, Dynacraft half set (GI), lasted about 2-3 months before I lost the PW at Palm resort

Bought my first set, TM XR-08, cast iron GI clubs, lasted about 6 months, then managed to hit the sweet spot on a 10 year old forged club for the first time with a semi-decent swing speed, hooked instantly

Bought the second hand set off my friend, some old Tourstage model, definitely GI, with large cavity and visible offset (though not as much as the TM clubs), had some really great games with it, played with them for 6 months,

Backside itchy, went to get fitted, chose so-called "Players Cavity Back" aka Semi Blades, game went to S**T. Cannot even launch 6 iron properly. Esp after playing a game with a 2-Handicapper who halfway through 18 holes with me, basically said my swing was too lousy to use these kind of clubs, and that I should practice another 5 years before trying. Ended up buying a 5 and 6 hybrid to replace the 5 and 6 irons. Could not find a 7 hybrid, otherwise I would have bought that as well.

I still use the set above (loosely termed semi-blades) which I bought in Q2 2010. I think I only started to be able to strike the 7-iron consistently enough that I dared to start practicing with my 6-iron about 6 months ago. My 6-iron went back into the bag about 3 months ago. It has been almost 2 years and I am just starting to think that I can hit the mid-irons of my clubs consistently.

I engaged a personal coach, practiced diligently and regularly (more so last time), worked on tempo, visualisation, mental prep etc, and still took more that a year to learn how to strike a ball properly with my "semi-blade" 7-iron.

Perhaps I have less talent than most, so I have to work harder, but still, 1 year is a bit of a long time and a lot of effort.

I often ask myself, "Do I need to make golf so tough for myself?" I bought the hybrids (with really light steel shafts) and they were plug and play from day 1. I still use them now, just have to compensate slightly for the draw/hook.

So, to those patient enough to read this long post, if you are going to switch to less forgiving clubs for increased feedback. Be prepared for the harsh truth of feedback. Chances are, that for the vast majority, the feedback will be that your swing S**Ks and that you will probably have to work really hard before you can use such clubs effectively on the golf course.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Try Mizuno Mp53 or 59, 59 is more like a muscle back, 53 is like a combo club.
Titleist, I felt the face is a bit hard unless you are a strong hitter.
If you wanna splurged on a good set of forge, well not as ex as Honma or Miura, get the callaway legacy. Big fan of jap forge.

Don't look down on Mizuno hor.....Luke Donald the new old world number 1 is using.
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
willbudiman

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 10:21 pm

bro derek,

thanks for sharing your experience. like i said in my last post, "that for the vast majority, the feedback will be that your swing S**Ks and that you will probably have to work really hard before you can use such clubs effectively on the golf course. ", these cavity backs are making me lazy..just because they come with such forgiveness that my game are not affected that much by them..

bro enwee: mizuno are an excellent brand. my dad who's 54, still uses the jpx models, and he's single handicapped.. lol!..i guess us younger players are the ones who always have itchy butts..they still swear by the saying, if it ain't broke, dont fix it ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 10:23 pm

IMHO it is fine to try blades.
After all live is short.
Just because people says it tough doesn't mean you cannot handle it.

As a true blue golfer you must try blade.
Feel the sweet impact and the beauty of the blades.
How it cut up a nice piece of divot.
How it feel to nip the ball off the tight fairways.
How you could make the ball dance on the green.
How you screw tarik your ProV1.
Carve the ball according to the contour of the fairway.
How you manipulate under and above the trees...

Until proven you really can't do this....its still not too late to change to others.
You call yourself a golfer....without ever playing blades? ROFL
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap   semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next