Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand

Go down 
+4
wilkang
crayon33
blee67
haragolfer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand Empty
PostSubject: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 10:07 am

A brief review of Muang Kaew golf course which i played yesterday.

No pictures, but the course was beautiful. From the 1st tee box, the layout was open and very forgiving of wild drives. Most holes were lined with a few small trees at the sides.

The challenge of this course, i feel, is that the bunkers guarding the green are very ominous. Water features are spred out throughout the course, which makes up for the straightforward hole layouts.

The course even from the white tees were not short, there were more than a few holes which i had to lay up to reach the green.

The greens were true and fast. Faster than what we are used to in Singapore. My playing partners were guessing 10 -11. Doesn't make a difference for uphill putts, but the downhill ones are huge potentials for 3 putts. Which i had more than my fair share of.

The fairways were very well maintained, the uncle playing with us had many 240 meter drives, our 3wood drives were averaging 200. Mainly, i yhink because the fairways roll out so much.

We finally had a young pro- mateur join us the 3 last holes who showed us how the holes were meant to be played. On the 18, the friendly 15 year old hit a wedge into the green which spun back from center green to front. This prompted my good friend and i to examine his bag. Seems, this kid was playing pro v1 with his titty v4 wedge with a secret weapon for a shaft. This was a hands on testimony for the shaft, i feel. Brilliant on fullswing.

Overall, i would play this course again, being that it is so close to the city. Was hoping to play Lakewood which was recomneded by fellow forummers, but no time leh. Presidents and Royal was on our list too, ahhhh.. So many courses so little time.

Thank you Blee for your recomendation.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 10:37 am

So how you find the short par 4 (I think it 16th hole) with the table top green?
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 11:08 am

Would have loved to have brought my callaway rarz fit and bomb a few down the firm and quite wide fairways.

This course plays to the bomber and as alvin has shared, the bunkers are there to make us shorter (but hopefully accurate) players play on level even field. Speaking of which, the fairways are generally level and mud free and greens are really very well maintained.

Only gripe: maybe last tee off gave us the most experienced caddies. They certainly knew where the breaks on the green are and how to assess the wind and offer suitable club selection. I know some golfers may prefer caddies who score more in the looks department and this could be only minus point.
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 11:08 am

Sounds like it's a must try course.

What's the course fee like?
And do you go through any agent for the booking?
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 11:22 am

Muang Kaew is a very nice course. Played there many many moons ago. The female caddie are very chio and I like their uniforms. That time it was a walking course not sure now though.

Bookings were done direct to the Golf Club. I called and inform them when I will be playing. The number is (02) 3163918. Played on a weekday as weekend is pretty expensive. A must play course.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Hotel concierge called to book, we tipped him small. The green fees w/o buggy, 2500 baht. Buggy 600 bht caddy fee 300 bht cash. Tip the nice lady 300 bht after her good read of green got me 1 birdie. But crayon is right, dont hold your breath for syts here. Taxi from city, 150 bht. All in, the people and company just makes it all lovely.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Hole 16 , bunkers all around the green, almost no back door. The pro drove the green, short by 10 meters, i blocked mine right, lucky me got the fairway. Pitch on, green too fast cannot hold, rolled out to fringe. Man, i needed a wedge with dg spinner shaft there.
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 5:29 pm

As in most courses in BKK, we were allowed and chose to walk. I was allowed to play in my running shoes though my playing buddy could not pull a Justin Rose Faux jeans off and had to wear proper pants ha ha.

Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 5:31 pm

I recall using the buggy before but it is buggy on track.

and I still remember the par 5 hole after the halfway house whether you can do a tigerline over the carpark/road on the road... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 am

muang Kaew is nice, like the course...I remember the one that you required to hit over the car park approached? so far if I play in Thai, I would choose walking.
Back to top Go down
Match84
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Match84

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 11:31 am

Went to BKK last weekend for a short golfing trip. Personal review for this beautiful course

Course: 1x18 hole 
Condition of course: Well maintain especially the fairway and rough 
Walking course (First time trying walking for a full 18, can feel the shagged after the game)
Crowd: Consider crowded since it was a Friday, back to back having flight but still able to take our time to complete the round

Just note that inside the course, there are a few stall selling drinks and food so not necessary to carry any cooler box. 

Lastly, some photo to share.

1. Club House entrance 
Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand Img_8210

2. Practise green
Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand Img_8211

3. 1st Tee Box
Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand Img_8212

4. Signature hole (Par3) with HIO prize 
Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand Img_8214
Back to top Go down
Noriki
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Noriki

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Nobody complaint about the noise from the Expressway above? Not noisy?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand   Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review of muang Kaew golf course in thailand
Page 1 of 1