Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused

Go down 
+15
DGman
HyBriD
slinger
Slicer51
duffader
gohkunyang
TourSwing
pushslice
Desmando R
Gray
Kengnam
DRGjr72
Duval_S
mloy
TigaWood
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused Empty
PostSubject: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders? I'm confused.

Sometimes all works for me, but not every time.
This confuses me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:44 pm

seebayho wrote:

This confuses me.

Ask Duval_S when you play with him on the 8th. His putting very chun.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:51 pm

Can catch cat is a good cat.... Don care what cat

Ohm mm mm mm!
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:46 pm

Here is a decent explanation.

ttp://puttingzone.com/MyTips/shoulder.html
Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Can catch cat is a good cat.... Don care what cat

Ohm mm mm mm!

Izzit,can catch rats is a good cat...Don care white cat or black cat Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:18 pm

I was privilege to be coached by many wellmknown coaches....the leadbetter, pelz, John Stockton etc ( thru watching golf channel)

There was one episode where they were explaining why the time of jack and Arnold, they seem mone 'hitting' the ball with more hands , this is due to the green condition then which was slow. But nowadays, green like marble surface......but irony, most times the courses I can play are abit slow...so handy putting is still ok for me.

Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:23 pm

When greens are slow..."hitting" of putts is more prevalent and more effective. When greens are fast it is more effective to stroke it, or hit it less, and focus on the feel aspect.

They are completely different elements and require different strokes and techniques. Look at Bobby Jones in the early 1900's and his stroke vs. Tiger or Furyk in 2000's. No where near the same and both would be equally ineffective in the others respective time.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 1:00 am

anymore tips or advice?
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 6:15 am

Yesterday I used my son's 12 inch putter at the practise green. Seebayzhun leh. Except I have to bend down real low.

Does short shaft make the putt more zhun?
Back to top Go down
Desmando R
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:13 pm

Gray wrote:
Yesterday I used my son's 12 inch putter at the practise green. Seebayzhun leh. Except I have to bend down real low.

Does short shaft make the putt more zhun?

I was watching US open 2011 on Youtube and saw one pro using a putter so short that when he putt, his back was almost 90 degree... i think being closer to the ground might give some people more confidence...

I was told by someone before that if you putt with momentum / a tempo, you will start to putt based on feel using the tempo and you will probably not know or feel if you are using hands or shoulder cause the body mechanics would want to sync with the tempo... for those who rush through their putt would most likely to be using hands...

Smile
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 pm

mloy wrote:
seebayho wrote:

This confuses me.

Ask Duval_S when you play with him on the 8th. His putting very chun.

true true...he even can fade his putt to the hole! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 3:15 pm

I have recently shifted focus to the short game, and away from the driving range ... Should have done it months ago ... MOST of our shots are played from inside 100 yards, and our performance there dictates our final score!

I have discovered that finesse shots (putting, chipping, pitching etc) should be powered by the big muscles in our bodies ... the stroke/ swing is far more accurate and repeatable (especially under pressure)!

I now putt with the putter, wrists, arms, shoulders moving as a unified unit ... and neither my wrists nor my arms provide the force required to roll the ball towards the hole ... the moment my arms source some power , my distance control reduces drastically!
Back to top Go down
gohkunyang
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 1:04 am

Hi guys!

I agree with tourswing that using the bigger muscles provide a better and more consistent shortgame because you wont get tired using your big muscles. so i would suggest using more of your shoulders and even your back muscles if you can to control your putts...

Also the reason why most people putt better with short putters is that the angle of the putter shaft is closer to 90 degrees in relation to the ground and that gives you a more pendulum motion.
(that is the reason why the rulebook has guidelines regarding the shaft angle of the putter in relation to the ground - if the putter is perpendicular it is easier to putt for the majority)

Hope these explanations help u guys out!
Cheers & happy golfing!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:19 am

I thought core muscles is use for the entire game which includes the drivers and irons?
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:24 am

seebayho wrote:

This confuses me.

Bro SBH,

I guess I may be the worst player that can give you advise on putting. You should just go to the Den and ask "you know who".

This is just my personal opinion.

Some taught to putt with feel and other mechanically. As for feel, method, I guess you do not need me to define. As for mechanically, is more on how far u swing back and forward.

I cannot use hands or arms to putt but rather using traditional shoulders method, ensure me to control the distance. Interesting that I am using both method in putting (feel and mechanically).

My avg putt is about 33 putt (1.83) now a day and hoping to able to do avg of 30 putt (1.66). Of course, to improve avg putt depend allot on how close my approach shots to the pin (my approach shots still like sh@t, leaving too many long putt).

Sometime confidence standing over a putt does made a big different. I am bless to get high % on short putt within 3.5 feet (only recent months. I do not would be the same in future).

I guess I am okay with distance control (luckily Neutral ). My biggest weakness is reading green and breaks. I need a teacher to teach me green condition like up & down slopes, green grain direction, wet, dry, morning, afternoon green condition.

The funny thing is, sometime when I saw the line of putt after I stand behind my ball. The chances of holing it is high even for long putt like 10 feet away (sorry 10 feet is consider to be a long putt for me Embarassed ). Again, I do not see the line all the time. If this is not feeling? what it is ?

As for now, I consider is a good putt even I did not holed it. As long as I can hit my putt to the intention line and distance. I am happy.

I found putting is very individual. As long as you feel CONFIDENCE. That is your method as it does not matter if you are using your hand, arm or even one leg.

My answer: I use shoulder method and rock it like a clock, baby !

Last edited by Slicer51 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:29 am

[quote="Slicer51"]
seebayho wrote:

The funny thing is, sometime when I saw the line of putt after I stand behind my ball. The chances of holing it is high even for long putt like 10 feet away (sorry 10 feet is consider to be a long putt for me Embarassed ). Again, I do not see the line all the time. If this is not feeling? what it is ?

As for now, I consider is a good putt even I did not holed it. As long as I can hit my putt to the intention line and distance. I am happy.

I found putting is very individual. As long as you feel CONFIDENCE. That is your method as it does matter you are using your hand, arm or even one leg.

do u draw line on the ball n aligned it with your putt???
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 am

[quote="slinger"]
Slicer51 wrote:
seebayho wrote:

I found putting is very individual. As long as you feel CONFIDENCE. That is your method as it does matter you are using your hand, arm or even one leg.

Bro,

I tired both methods before (with and without line on the ball to aligned my putt). I finally end up;

short putt without using line on the ball ( stand behind my ball, found the mark infront of the ball, step up, aligned my putter head, address and hit it )

Lone putt use line on the ball and aligned my putter head.

Do you think that is the problem? Any suggestion, Bro ?
Back to top Go down
gohkunyang
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:52 am

Hi guys,

Duffader, I'm guessing that when you said core muscles you meant the oblique muscles (stretching diagonally across our belly)...yes we do need those for our overall game and they are important for balancing as well! so definitely our core muscles are important for balance during any stroke, and is used more intensively during our full-swing (creates the tension between the hips and upper torso)....

Seebayho & Slicer51, using a line to line up your ball for a putt is very good way to make sure u start the ball in the right direction. Also I like how you pick a spot and try to start the ball on line and be confident when you achieve that! However, if the alignment of the line of the golf ball is aligned poorly, it can give you a very adverse effect due to the perception seen by your eyes.....so be very careful to make sure you are lining the ball up properly during a putt....

Hope I cleared your doubts!
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 11:01 am

gohkunyang wrote:
Hi guys,

Seebayho & Slicer51, using a line to line up your ball for a putt is very good way to make sure u start the ball in the right direction. Also I like how you pick a spot and try to start the ball on line and be confident when you achieve that! However, if the alignment of the line of the golf ball is aligned poorly, it can give you a very adverse effect due to the perception seen by your eyes.....so be very careful to make sure you are lining the ball up properly during a putt....

Hope I cleared your doubts!
Cheers!

Bro, I do not totally disagree with what you are saying regarding using a line on the ball to aligned the putter face. However, I have other though.

When you have the line on the ball to focus on during the address for the putt. You tend to lost the feeling of the putt too .. I am still seeking the best method that suit me and it is just my personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
gohkunyang
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 11:13 am

Hey Slicer 51,

yup i totally understand where you are coming from buddy! what we are looking for by using that line is to give you a guide to where to aim your putter face and help you get better alignment...you should not "freeze" over the ball when you have that line but still feel relaxed and trigger off pretty quickly....however my opinion is if you have a tendency to tense up with that line, then I agree that it would be better to just pick a spot in front of your ball and "feel" the putt...

Hope that answers your question bro!
CHeers!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 11:31 am

I use the line to make sure my putter face is square at setup. Aiming wise i still believe strength control and feel is still preferred.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 12:20 pm

[quote="Slicer51"]
slinger wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
seebayho wrote:

Bro,

I tired both methods before (with and without line on the ball to aligned my putt). I finally end up;

short putt without using line on the ball ( stand behind my ball, found the mark infront of the ball, step up, aligned my putter head, address and hit it )

Lone putt use line on the ball and aligned my putter head.

Do you think that is the problem? Any suggestion, Bro ?

i used to lined my putts... but i dun now

call me cockeyed, but sometimes when i lined my putts, when i addressed the ball, doubts come into the picture if its actually where i shd putt...

now i just putt w/o lines..... just visualize the line n not have any doubts

works for me...
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Ok, this weekend, putt without line and see how...... lucky thing is my fav golf kaki has quit betting
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 1:20 pm

TourSwing wrote:
I have recently shifted focus to the short game, and away from the driving range ... Should have done it months ago ... MOST of our shots are played from inside 100 yards, and our performance there dictates our final score!

I have discovered that finesse shots (putting, chipping, pitching etc) should be powered by the big muscles in our bodies ... the stroke/ swing is far more accurate and repeatable (especially under pressure)!

I now putt with the putter, wrists, arms, shoulders moving as a unified unit ... and neither my wrists nor my arms provide the force required to roll the ball towards the hole ... the moment my arms source some power , my distance control reduces drastically!

I certainly agree with this...

Using our Big Muscle to putt

Here is something to look at Putt with your Big Muscle Video
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 1:25 pm

duffader wrote:
I thought core muscles is use for the entire game which includes the drivers and irons?

I think core muscle are the muscles located in our Abs, Legs, Calves & shoulder. My golf coaches would often tell me to do Core exercises like

Push Up, Sit Up, Leg exercises, crunch exercises instead of lifting weights
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused   Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should we putt with our hands or arms or shoulders?sometimes I'm confused
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next