Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

USGA Handicap Related FAQ

Go down 
+11
Technospaz
asahi
renode
sly21498
beehome
mirage
eiji
BigblackGoof
pushslice
shimizu.toruk
Derek
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 1:16 pm

LOL! ... Sure Bro
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 am

Question from TS

Derek, quick question on scores and handicap. Are only the score differentials which are marked with an asterisk taken for HC consideration?

----------------------------------------------------------

Yes TS, you are correct. If you have 20 scores or more, you should be able to see 10 asterisks.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks, bro. For moving my Q and for your reply Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 9:40 am

Transferred from another thread

----------------------------------------------------------------------

SSG refers to Society of Singapore Golfers, one of the Associate Members of the Singapore Golf Association (SGA) that is licensed to issue USGA Golf Handicaps.

Please note that only clubs registered with the SGA as members (and pass the audit) are licensed to issue USGA Handicaps in Singapore. There are basically 2 types of SGA membership for golf clubs, Ordinary (for clubs that own or operate golf courses/country clubs) and Associate (clubs that are "estateless").

Ordinary Members of SGA include all your golf and country clubs, e.g. OCC, NSRCC, SICC, TMCC etc etc

Associate Members of SGA include my golf kaki (MGK), Golf Allianze (GAZ), SSG, etc etc

For more details on which clubs are licensed, visit SGA page to understand more.

http://www.sga.org.sg/Membership/Members/tabid/183/Default.aspx

For more information about handicapping in Singapore, link found below

http://www.sga.org.sg/Information/USGAHandicapSystem/tabid/206/Default.aspx
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 10:23 am

Hi. I've a question to ask. Which number in our handicap card is the handicap you need to declare to others (eg. when betting with frens, tournament, etc)?

eg. There's
USGA Handicap = X.X
A number beside blue box = Y
A number beside white box = Z

The number Y and Z is higher than X.X. Can anybody help?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:58 am

Hi kyleyann,

I believe you are referring to the course handicap, which will differ based on the tee box and the course.

Course handicaps are always integers and reflect the exact number of strokes you should subtract from your gross score to get your nett score.

If playing match play, then the course handicap strokes are assigned based on the stroke index of the holes on the course you are playing, from the hardest (index 1) to the easiest (18). If your have a course index higher than 18, the additional strokes after the first 18 go back to the index 1 hole again.

Ideally, if both of you have accurate (and honest handicaps), the correct way to go about it would be for both of you to use the course handicaps.

E.g.

Player A: Handicap Index 12.2 playing at MBGC White Tee, Course handicap 14
Player B: Handicap Index 19.1 playing at MBGC White Tee, Course handicap 22

Player B should get a total of 8 strokes (22-14) from Player A over 18 holes. And no more than 1 per hole.

There is actually no fixed way to go about stroke allocation, although the common approach is to use the stroke index of the hole, i.e. Index 1 to 18 (easiest to most difficult). The principle to be followed is that the strokes should be used as an equalising measure, not to win the hole.

In the example above, where 8 strokes are to be given, any of the following methods can be used:

1) The 8 most difficult holes (Index 1-8)
2) The 8 longest holes (if there is a big difference in driving distance)
3) The 8 shortest holes (if the main difference is short and mid iron accuracy)
4) The 4 hardest and the 4 easiest

etc etc etc

There is no fixed way as long as the strokes the holes are allocated on are determined before play commences.

Last edited by Derek on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 12:42 pm

Derek wrote:
Hi kyleyann,

I
There is actually no fixed way to go about stroke allocation, although the common approach is to use the stroke index of the hole, i.e. Index 1 to 18 (easiest to most difficult). The principle to be followed is that the strokes should be used as an equalising measure, not to win the hole.

OMG, I have been espousing this point for a long time...finally I have someone with USGA Hcap official authority to state it Very Happy

Mloy, DWK, please take note..tongue
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 1:17 pm

pushslice wrote:
Derek wrote:
Hi kyleyann,

I

OMG, I have been espousing this point for a long time...finally I have someone with USGA Hcap official authority to state it Very Happy

Mloy, DWK, please take note..tongue

ROFL ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi Derek,

Thank you very much for taking time to write out a detailed response. Really appreciate it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Let's look at the USGA handicap scoring system in another perspective. Since the handicap one has is directly affected by the score achieved at golf courses one plays at, then definitely the course and slope rating has a direct co-relation to the golfer handicap.

1. Will the course and slope rating differ from the course condition on that day? If the rough is harsh and greens are lightning fast, will this elevate the ratings? Actually I dun think so, just need someone to explain how the course n slope rating is measured relative to.

2. After a course goes through renovation, with slightly different layout such as the odd bunker here n there, will it affect the ratings? How do we know?

3. Does USGA has regulations regarding updating of golf courses course n slope ratings? Do golf course register their ratings somewhere?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can clarify!
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi renode,

Although the course and slope ratings form an integral part of the USGA Handicap System, there is a separate training and qualification to become a certified USGA Course Rater, but I will try my best to answer to the best of my knowledge based on what is captured in the USGA Handicap Manual.

1. Course and Slope ratings must reflect conditions normal for the seasons where the most rounds are played. Hence course and slope ratings do not change on a daily basis.

2. The underlying principle behind course rating and slope rating is based on distance. The various obstacles around the golf course are also factored in, calculated in strokes, converted to yardage, then added to the yardage ratings. It's complicated, which is why there is a separate course conducted on it, but an brief guide can be found below:

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-13/

The gist of it is that if the renovation changes the effective playing length of the course or changes the difficulty significantly in 1 of the 10 obstacle factors considered, then the course needs to arrange to have its course and slope ratings reviewed.

3. In Singapore, it is the purview of the Singapore Golf Association (SGA) to ensure the quality and accuracy of course ratings for our local courses. Newly constructed courses should be re-rated after the first 5 years and establish courses every 10 years.

In other countries, it is the responsibility of the relevant authorised golf association of that country. e.g. MGA in Malaysia.
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Wow, very impressive. Thanks, Derek.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:37 pm

No prob ... it sort of is my job, so I have to be somewhat familiar with the whole process
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Derek wrote:
No prob ... it sort of is my job, so I have to be somewhat familiar with the whole process

Thread Nice
Back to top Go down
Gabe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Just wondering:
1. How do HCP expires itself? Is there a minimum num of scorecards I have to submit to maintain my handicap and prevent it from expiring? If I do not play, but continue to renew my membership with the club that issued my handicap, will it still expire?

2. Does all courses in Singapore have a valid rating for HCP courtesy round (5 Scorecards to collect)? As well as those in JB?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi Gabe,

There used to be a regulation that at least 1 score must be submitted every 6 months for a USGA handicap to remain active. This is no longer true for 2012 to 2015.

Although a handicap does not expire, a club has to maintain it for you. As long as your are an active member of a club, your handicap is still active.

If you leave the club, it is then up to the club to determine how long they will keep your records. You are not considered to have an active handicap, but it does not mean that it has expired.

As for courses with valid course ratings, all EXECUTIVE courses are NOT rated, all others are. In JB, I believe all the full length courses are. It will almost always be located on the scorecard.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 7:19 am

Bump
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 8:34 am

Transferred from the other thread to consolidate

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just to clarify some of the things about the "handicap test" ...

Firstly, it isn't really a test like a Driving test, whereby if you have too many demerit points you are going to fail. The actual term used is Courtesy Round, and the main purpose is to see if:

1) Your golfing ability is in line with the scorecards submitted
2) You are able to play the game at a decent pace
3) You exhibit the necessary level of safety awareness, both toward yourself as well as other golfers
4) Your are aware/and comply with basic golf etiquette
5) You have a basic knowledge of the rules of golf such that you can record your own score accurately (most of the time)

OK ... so how good a score do you need to play? If just using a single score, how you would calculate it would be as follows:

Max Male Handicap = 36.4 so using Marina Bay White Tee as an example (Course 69.8 Slope 129) and after going through the calculations, that will translate to a course handicap of 41 or a total score of 113 for 18 holes. Over 9 holes, that will translate to 57 strokes.

However, it does not mean that if you shoot 58 you will fail. That is because a single 9 hole score cannot be used to determine a handicap index. It can however be used as the basis to adjust or assign a handicap index when considered together with other 9 hole or 18 hole scores. The USGA system needs a minimum of 5 x 18 hole (or equivalent) on USGA rated courses. That is where the other score cards come in.

Also, if you submit 5 x 18 hole scores, only the best one is used to determine your handicap (the number slowly increases as you submit more cards until you reach 20 scores, in which your handicap will be based on the best 10 scores).

That means that you can shoot 4 games 120+ and one game 112 and you will still be assigned a handicap index if during the courtesy round you demonstrate that you know how to move around the golf course in a considerate, safe and timely manner.

In my time at MGK, there were many members who did not manage to shoot below 58 during their courtesy round, even though their scorecards submitted show scores (or at least 1) less than 113. Largely because during the first 1 or 2 holes, they were so nervous that they would really blow up the hole. Either with complete mishits (balls travels 20m or less), multiple shots in the bunker, or (most common) making a ton of mistakes in and around the green (chunking or going back and forth).

However, after they settled down, some because they thought they had already "failed" by scoring 11 over after just 2 holes, most of them were able to relax and actually play the game to the ability that was recorded in the scorecards submitted. All of them "passed" and walked away with a handicap index.

In all the courtesy rounds I have taken, I have only ever "failed" 2 golfers. One was because he really could not advance the ball and took about 7-8 shots to reach the green on a Par 4. There was no way he could complete a game even in 6 hours, let alone 4.5 hours. I remember asking the other 2 golfers who were taking their round as well to proceed with their game (it was obvious after 3 holes they could play) while I continued with him. It took slightly more than 3 hours to finish 9 holes, and that was with me asking him to pick up the ball on a few occasions. He simply was not ready.

The other golfer I "failed" was a young man who hit it pretty long but seldom straight. His primary issue was a complete disregard for the safety of others on the course. Aside from hitting his tee shots into adjacent holes repeatedly (without shouting fore), there were 3 instances where he hit the ball into the green before the flight in front had driven their buggies off (note: clearing the green does not mean getting in the buggy, they have to drive off). And not being very accurate, on 1 occasion he pulled the ball straight at them at hit the golf bag on one of the buggies. He also did not help his case by boasting at the 2nd tee about how he liked to hit "warning drives" at the flight in front if they were slow (coming from a guy who has to search for his ball on almost every hole even on a course as wide as MBGC, I find that attitude hilarious).

In any case, after the round, I informed him that I could not assign him a handicap as he had demonstrated he was a safety hazard on the course. Especially when I had briefed the flight before the round that my first priority was safety and him specifically on the 2nd Tee after his comment that this sort of attitude towards the safety of others is not tolerated.

So anyways, I can't speak for how other clubs do things. Or even MGK now that I have left, but in general, the point is that the courtesy round is not solely about how well you play.

In general, as long as you are playing below 120 50% of the time (men), and can comfortable complete a round in 4.5 hours on a weekday, or keep up with the flight in front on weekends, there is a good chance that you will go through the courtesy round with no issues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: USGA Handicap Related FAQ   USGA Handicap Related FAQ - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

USGA Handicap Related FAQ
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2