Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?

Go down 
+15
fabulous
chezYvon
watermyforrest
Tituman
sunny
publica
weesern
missmoon
first_timerz
Victor3112
Right_sided_coach
A.quek
Duval_S
smails
blackswan
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
blackswan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? Empty
PostSubject: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 1:09 pm

I am thinking to get handicap but don't really know how. Do I really need to take a package of golf lessons to get the handicap like the PC lessons? Or do you only need to take the test? What is the way?

I receive a promotional email from star golf on a handicap lessons package that comprises of 6 lessons (inclusive of a handicap test, 2 x 5 hole game). Are these lessons necessary or good to go?
Back to top Go down
smails
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 1:34 pm

you can see Paul at Gary Edwin academy. Must shoot 55 or less for 9 hole to pass test. No lesson required. They maintain your hcap through MyGolfClub. Similar to My golf kaki. Cost $160 to join
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 2:16 pm

I think it is definitely worthwhile to get the test....
Back to top Go down
A.quek
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 6:46 pm

hi, does the $160 includes the test? Where will the test be held?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 10:21 pm

A.quek wrote:

The 9 hole test is at OCC. Test Fee is $60, Green Fee for 9 holes is $65. Men need to shoot 55 or less and women 60 or less to successfully pass. Knowledge of common Rules and etiquette will be observed as well.
Back to top Go down
Victor3112
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Victor3112

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 10:47 pm

It is $180/yr already as stated in the website:
http://www.mygolfclubhome.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx
That is for MyGolfClub membership, hcp maintenance included.

I took one PC class at GaryEdwin in one of the Sunday, they wrote me a email to ask if I wanted to join another 2person to take hcp test the next week, just happened that there was a slot available. I didnot becos I have not play at OCC becos and not familiar with the layout.

They told me PC is necessary but obviously no class is required to take hcp.
Back to top Go down
first_timerz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 11:09 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
A.quek wrote:

The 9 hole test is at OCC. Test Fee is $60, Green Fee for 9 holes is $65. Men need to shoot 55 or less and women 60 or less to successfully pass. Knowledge of common Rules and etiquette will be observed as well.

Hi..
I got a PC from ModelPro Golf @ Bukit Batok Driving Range...
Do I need to take a PC from Gary Edwin academy before trying for the HCP?

Question
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 11:24 pm

To clarify, the cost for MyGolfClub is now $160 not $180. You do not need to have a PC from Gary Edwin Academy to be able to take the handicap test. If you are capable of shooting the required score, you can have a handicap.
Regards Paul
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 11:25 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
To clarify, the cost for MyGolfClub is now $160 not $180. You do not need to have a PC from Gary Edwin Academy to be able to take the handicap test. If you are capable of shooting the required score, you can have a handicap.
Regards Paul

Can I transfer my MGK hcp to MyGolfClub?
What are the procedures involved?
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
A.quek
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 2:33 am

sounds like an inexpensive and convenient option to obtain the hdcp........
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 3:25 am

missmoon wrote:
Right_sided_coach wrote:
Regards Paul

Can I transfer my MGK hcp to MyGolfClub?
What are the procedures involved?

Hi Moonie
Transfer can be done no problem. Not 100% sure on exact procedure. As I am only the handicap tester, I will have to double check with the office staff and advise you.
Regards
Paul
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 3:28 am

A.quek wrote:
sounds like an inexpensive and convenient option to obtain the hdcp........

Yes, we try and keep things simple and convenient at the GE Academy. Promoting the game and increasing participation at an affordable price is what we aim to do. Smile Beer
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 am

The PC does not have to be from your academy.... wat abt no PC at all??
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:45 am

weesern wrote:

No PC required. As stated, if you can shoot under 55 and have knowledge of rules and etiquette then handicap will be given.
Back to top Go down
Victor3112
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Victor3112

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 11:35 am

Heay, that sound cheaper and simpler already than SgClub which have to take $20 workshop and $180 membership/maintenance.
Back to top Go down
first_timerz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 11:59 am

Right_sided_coach wrote:
weesern wrote:

No PC required. As stated, if you can shoot under 55 and have knowledge of rules and etiquette then handicap will be given.

Oh...
That is gr8!!
But, one more thing, when I practice at EGC, i can shoot 55. However, I not sure can do the same thing at OCC as it is different course...
Can I practice at OCC? any requirements?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:03 pm

I know this is short notice, but I am conducting a handicap test tomorrow at 3.30pm. There are 3 in the flight and still another spot available if anybody is interested. PM me your details.
Back to top Go down
first_timerz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:15 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
I know this is short notice, but I am conducting a handicap test tomorrow at 3.30pm. There are 3 in the flight and still another spot available if anybody is interested. PM me your details.

aiya...
i wanna try but too last min liao...
anyway, thanks for the offer...
i oso not confident i can make 55 onot in OCC coz different from EGC...
is there anyway i can play at OCC 9h to built my confident level before going for hcp?
Back to top Go down
Victor3112
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Victor3112

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 1:10 pm

Hey first_timerz, maybe we can meet someday to have pratice round at OCC. I thought, if don't have PC, you can just take a $10 swing test at the OCC before playing. It is open to public... I think.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 1:19 pm

first_timerz wrote:

Oh...
That is gr8!!
But, one more thing, when I practice at EGC, i can shoot 55. However, I not sure can do the same thing at OCC as it is different course...

Thanks

EGC 9 holes is only Par 29, OCC will be Par 36 plus more hazards.... maybe you want to do your calculations again....
Back to top Go down
publica
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
publica

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Paul,

I understand for adult it is $160 for the maintenance of handicap.
$60 for test fees and $65 for green fees.

Is this the same rates for a junior ?
(10 years old with PC) ?

And what about the passing score for 9 hole at OCC for junior?
(of course, knowledge of Common Rules and etiquette also required)

Tee off from red tee I presume ?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 5:33 pm

weesern wrote:
first_timerz wrote:

Oh...
That is gr8!!

Thanks

EGC 9 holes is only Par 29, OCC will be Par 36 plus more hazards.... maybe you want to do your calculations again....

And the greens are so flat that you can hole almost any putts. It won't be the same in occ.

The bunkers are so flat that you can putt out of them too.

I think you may want to practice at some other courses. MBGC is also a good course to practice. It is slightly longer with good amount of hazards. If you can do 50s in MBGC, you will do fine in OCC too.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
first_timerz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 9:33 pm

sunny wrote:
weesern wrote:
first_timerz wrote:

Oh...
That is gr8!!

Thanks

And the greens are so flat that you can hole almost any putts. It won't be the same in occ.

The bunkers are so flat that you can putt out of them too.

I think you may want to practice at some other courses. MBGC is also a good course to practice. It is slightly longer with good amount of hazards. If you can do 50s in MBGC, you will do fine in OCC too.

MBGC need handicap to play?
Back to top Go down
Victor3112
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Victor3112

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 11:11 pm

You need PC recognized by Star Academy or $10 swing test at MBGC before the game.
The swing test last you for 1month.
Back to top Go down
first_timerz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 4:48 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
weesern wrote:

Hi Paul,
The HCP test is start / tee off from the white or blue tee?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?   Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need to take Handicap lesson to get handicap?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next