Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)

Go down 
+3
DGman
quinike
Technospaz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) Empty
PostSubject: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 5:17 pm

Folks,

I'm sure all of you have seen this chart before. It's an approximate of how far your ball will travel based on your swing speed.

Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) 550_DistVsSwgSpd122704GIF
(Image owned by Sports Sensors, Inc. - http://www.swingspeedradar.com/distancevsswingspeed.html)

Of course, distance will vary based on numerous factors including proper impact, wind speed etc. This is just a guide for those of you who are eager to know how much distance you'll get if you increase your swing speed. Remember that higher swing speed increases the risk of inaccuracy.

I found this useful when I finally got swing speed measured at the Den. As I continue to play (and hopefully improve), I think it's worthwhile reviewing my swing speed to see what tweaks can be made to my equipment to capitalize on the increased swing speed.

I hope this chart helps those of you who are interested in this topic.

CAVEAT: This chart is by no means conclusive. It is intended to serve as a guide and should be treated as such.
Back to top Go down
quinike
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 6:53 pm

very helpful technospaz! wonder if any of u guys find this accurate? it works for me!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:05 pm

Mine's not entirely accurate. I think my distance is further than my drive speed... either that or I'm just imagining my ball going further than it really does.
Back to top Go down
quinike
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:08 pm

hrmm mines about 190m for a driver - 95mph -quite zun for me!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Actually, I take what I said back. I keep forgetting that the chart shows carry distance. So, yes, it is accurate.
Back to top Go down
quinike
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:26 pm

i feel tempted to get one of the radar devices. about 130 usd for one...tempting..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:29 pm

I don't want to look like the loser who's measuring the distance of his drive which, by the way, went way left and only 140m Sad
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 11:20 pm

quinike...another SS in the making...at least he says 190 m....but with his 4 iron hor?

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 11:23 pm

Not 4i, it likely to be a 5i...... he he
Back to top Go down
quinike
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 11:34 pm

haha no leh. i followed the chart!

anyway although this is the wrong place to do it, i must pay tribute to Eric. close to a year ago i was at his shop and playing around with the launch monitor etc ... and that was when he educated me on the smash factor etc ... i thought i had a sound swing, and my coaches thought i had a sound swing, but somehow it was the impact position which was lacking in my swing, which no one had noticed before.

since then, i've been trying to work on a bit of a delayed release and some pronation of my wrists to get into a better position in order to get a more decent smash factor with my irons. Even though my game isn't as good yet, and im still trying to get that better impact position, but this feeling of "enlightenment" is so refreshing ...i now know that im on the right track, and working towards something useful ... theres light at the end of the tunnel, and i look forward to the day i can really hit my irons Smile and im also eager to see the scores resulting from that.

so thanks again for getting my game on track, eric Smile
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 2:48 pm

Dun no if it was from sumbuddy here or at one of the other golf forums, but these stats are believable:

Driving Distance

As handicaps go below 15, average driving distance increases rapidly.

-- PGA Tour 289 yards/264 metres
0 Handicap 245 yards/224 metres
10 Handicap 218 yards/199 metres
15 Handicap 196 yards/179 metres
20 Handicap 173 yards/158 metres
30 Handicap 173 yards/158 metres

Driving Accuracy

Fairways hit improves with better handicap.

-- PGA Tour 64%
0 Handicap 50%
10 Handicap 48%
15 Handicap 37%
20 Handicap 26%
30 Handicap 34%

What the chart does not show is how important the short game is to having a lower handicap index. According to this chart, my HI should be around 15, yet it is closer to 30!

Embarassed

Also, very short hitters (30+ hcp) stay in the fairway a lot cos they dun hit far enuff to go OOB or into mid-fairway hazards or water (34% fairway hits).

CK
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 3:04 pm

My Fairway hit is like a 0 handicap but my driving distance is like a 30 handicap Sad
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 3:34 pm

Bro JC.. better than me lah... my fairway hit and distance are all like a 30 handicapper..
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Your distance hit is like the pro lah.... cyclops
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 5:53 pm

Bullshit loh.. my driver can only drive 160 yards max
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 6:15 pm

U measure the distance from the Par 5 pin is it? Razz
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 4:51 pm

JC: My Fairway hit is like a 0 handicap but my driving distance is like a 30 handicap .

JC is being very modest.

Wink

BTW, can anybody verify the exact flag & sign distances at Jurong CC's driving range? My analogue (inexact) range finder indicates their 150 metres flag as more like 180 or even 190 metres.

This means their 200 metre sign must be more like 230 metres.

I saw a guy hit the back fence using his driver recently. How far is that? 250 or 300 metres?

Question

CK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)   Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swing Speed & Distance (Approx only)
Page 1 of 1