Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???

Go down 
+6
S70B
Cyp_PGA
pushslice
jimmychoo
Ssquirrel
skybobo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? Empty
PostSubject: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:32 pm

How can I drive the ball further?

1. Swing speed - the speed at which a golfer swings a club
2. Club head speed - a product of swing speed
3. Smash factor - the ratio between ball speed and club head speed, ie. clubhead speed x smash factor = ball speed

Swing speed along with proper golf swing mechanics will lead to the optimized club head speed. Ball speed is a product of: club head speed, how close to the sweet spot the golf ball is struck, shaft flex based on your swing speed, type of golf ball you play and the material your club face is made from.

For every 1 mph you increase your ball speed, your golf ball will travel 2.5 yards further. Conversely, this works the other way around as well. So a premium is put on centering up the golf ball on the club face to hit the sweet spot as often as you can. This alone will add 10 yards or more to your average drive.

Ball speed is THE number one metric you need to focus on increasing to add distance to your golf shots. Because it’s the ball speed value that ultimately has the final say as to how far your golf ball travels in the air.

So bearing all this in mind, seems like if I want to drive further, I need to either increase my club head speed or increase smash factor.....

Hmm......can someone tell me how to properly increase clubhead speed?
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 5:36 pm

Swing faster?
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 5:47 pm

I think if you are talking about longer distance off the driver, you must factor in spin rate as well...... tio bo? confused
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 5:51 pm

google mark verstegen.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 5:54 pm

pushslice wrote:
google mark verstegen.
Google Ben Jackson golf...
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 5:56 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
I think if you are talking about longer distance off the driver, you must factor in spin rate as well...... tio bo? confused
err....i think so bro
low spin is ideal
but then again, i really dunno much, so am trying to ask for advise.
how to ensure low spin

i have a friend who drives well using range ball
but on course his ball tends to hook with lots of spin and low launch
so how to reduce spin (besides asking him to tee off with range ball)
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Hahaha..... buy a range ball and try lor...... Maybe it's all in his mind?

I think low spin will only do good to those guys that have a very fast swing speed but again I am not sure leh Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 6:12 pm

Hit the gym will get the good club head speed
Get the mechanic right and you got the smash factor right

but you got to swing below 2600 RPM spin with a launch angle between 10 to 12 degree ( but you got a swing that be repeatable everytime )

but first will be to get fitted to a driver . Right shaft , right loft And also head that your confidence.

if you find the key please tell still driving short Very Happy

i prefer putting Very Happy , Drive For Show , Putt For Dough .
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 9:53 pm

1 way to hit long - have good genes. If not, tough la.

I think for majority of golfers, most will not be dedicated enuff to train up physically to achieve greater distance.

Look at our typical Sg lifestyles, after work and gym where's the time for golf?

Many just want a quick fix and a fast way to achieve it and thinks money will be able to solve it.

Honestly, if you want to hit further, here are some steps that are positive and still golf-oriented:

- Learn a proper swing ie find a decent pro.
- Stretch before you start. You will be amazed at what flexibility can do for your golf.
- Get fitted from a certified golf fitter, not those who look like they learn their trade in their spare room or garage. Also, getting fitted means looking at reliable data and the fitter making sense of it...Its different from buying any tom dick or harry shaft u think is good and suitable for you and ask the fitter to put it in your clubhead.
- Range sessions. You hit further if you learn to hit the sweet spot more often.
- Be realistic. If you can only hit it 200m at best, accept it and learn to play your game.

If on the other hand you are dead serious about getting fit for golf, look for Grant Balcke at Keppel. He is a Level 2 TPI certified pro who knows all about specific golf-related exercises and stretches to get you goin in the right direction.

Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Swing Hard...... then Pray Hard.... tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:39 pm

I can never forget my sifu's advice. HIT HARD!!!! LOOK UP!!!!!!. I still practiced that but still trying hard to master it..... Embarassed Hey sifu, you know who you are right???? lol! ROFL
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:48 pm

Hit Hard, Look Up is advise for your opponent when u bet lah..

There.. my secret is out... albino
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:52 pm

k*n*n , no wonder I always hit 180m nia for my driver... all SS bad advice...
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 11:01 pm

Sam.. 180m.. in fairway better than 280m OB.. hahhaaa...
short and safe.. better than long and wrong.... albino
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 11:06 pm

Have to agree, but sibei sian leh... hahaha. You still perfecting the 180m drive rite? Me too bro...
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 1:08 am

Ssquirrel wrote:
Hit Hard, Look Up is advise for your opponent when u bet lah..

There.. my secret is out... albino

Dear teammate, pls share other secret tips you may hv with team slinger privately yea......cannot let our opponent team know too much. Hehe...
lol!
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 am

S70B wrote:
1 way to hit long - have good genes. If not, tough la.

I think for majority of golfers, most will not be dedicated enuff to train up physically to achieve greater distance.

Look at our typical Sg lifestyles, after work and gym where's the time for golf?

Many just want a quick fix and a fast way to achieve it and thinks money will be able to solve it.

Honestly, if you want to hit further, here are some steps that are positive and still golf-oriented:

- Learn a proper swing ie find a decent pro.
- Stretch before you start. You will be amazed at what flexibility can do for your golf.
- Get fitted from a certified golf fitter, not those who look like they learn their trade in their spare room or garage. Also, getting fitted means looking at reliable data and the fitter making sense of it...Its different from buying any tom dick or harry shaft u think is good and suitable for you and ask the fitter to put it in your clubhead.
- Range sessions. You hit further if you learn to hit the sweet spot more often.
- Be realistic. If you can only hit it 200m at best, accept it and learn to play your game.

If on the other hand you are dead serious about getting fit for golf, look for Grant Balcke at Keppel. He is a Level 2 TPI certified pro who knows all about specific golf-related exercises and stretches to get you goin in the right direction.

Thank you Rex.
I appreciate your comments very much.

Decent pro, I have liao.
Stretch before u start - nowadays I make it a point to hit 50 balls before I tee off......sometimes after a bad round, I will go range to sort it out rather than bathe and have lunch...ppl say I siow
Gym, i never step into 1 before Smile
Club fitting, never try before but definitely will go (and i know who to go to)......hopefully the coming bonus allows me to do it

Thanks once again, I think I know what to do liao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???   Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swing speed, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor???
Page 1 of 1