Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swing speed vs shaft?

Go down 
+7
DGman
escyb
TITW
Kengnam
Begbie
iceballx
onime
11 posters
AuthorMessage
onime
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
onime

Swing speed vs shaft?  Empty
PostSubject: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Just a noobie qns:

My constant swing speed is at 94.

Few advice given:
1. Regular steel shaft (NS Pro & KBS)
2. Stiff steel shaft (NS Pro)
3. Stiff graphite shaft

So confuse now Embarassed
Back to top Go down
iceballx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Bro where do u go measure ur swing speed?
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Swing speed using what club ?
Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 11:05 pm

onime wrote:
Just a noobie qns:

My constant swing speed is at 94.

Few advice given:
1. Regular steel shaft (NS Pro & KBS)
2. Stiff steel shaft (NS Pro)
3. Stiff graphite shaft

So confuse now Embarassed

Wow,u mean you can swing 94 with your iron!!!94rpm is my driver swing speed
Back to top Go down
TITW
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TITW

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:21 am

Kengnam wrote:

Rpm and mph? Rolling Eyes

Lots of difference
Back to top Go down
escyb
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
escyb

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 1:03 am

How do u measure in rpm for golf?? Laughing

I think he is trying to say his ss for driver is 94mph cos if it's for irons than the fitter should recommend X flex liao.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 1:12 am

the highest speed i have seen for a 6 iron is 106 mph. its not a mistake, the guy has to use a project 7.0.

i have a male golfer who swings his driver 85 mph with a 1.51 smash factor. he came last week with a cracked driver shaft. it was 47g and a LL flex. he requested for the same specs shaft and we gave him a Sakura 45L. the driver was an offset 13.5 degree cobra and measure 44 inch.

all he wants is 230 to 240 meters straight down the middle and he gets it the whole time. he don't care if someone laughs at him. he is a 6 handicapper and his 75 mph 7 iron speed gives him 150 to 155 meters carry. in all the years of club fitting, this gentleman has the most efficient swing i have seen. i am sure i mentioned him before.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 7:50 am

Eric, please intro me to the 85mph swinger. I want to learn from him!

I would opt for having an efficient swing that is not necessarily fast. If such a swing helps me hit the sweet spot 90% of the time and get a 1.51 smash factor, I would take it over a 150mph swing that sprays the ball 350yards all over the place.

After losing 18 balls in Spring City, Kunming, I am determined to shift my golf training focus to developing a swing that gives me direction rather than long distance. I guess I can afford to say this just because I have the physical build to get tolerable distances just by swinging smooth. (I stand at 6' 2" tall).

What I have been focusing on doing now with my swing is to make sure that I stay patient and let the bigger muscles take over and concentrate on arriving to a smooth finishing pose rather than a handsy HIT at the ball. How I achieved this was by using a very narrow stance. My feet are about 1 grip apart for my tee offs with the driver. I then constantly remind myself to finish my swing and pose the "macam Pro" finish for at least 3 seconds.

If I do it correctly, the result will be a slight right to left ball flight or a straight ball flight.

If I were to swing very fast with my hands, the narrow stance will cause me to lose balance and the 3 second pose will not be in existence.

I was able to do it a few games ago in Poresia and the result was effortless distance. I can safely say that the swing speed was well below 90mph. I got my distance from the draw ball flight and the constant sweet spot contacts.

This particular swing is very hard to do for me as I still have the urge to HIT the ball. Now it is even harder with my new toy in my hands (the Razr Fit)! This baby just produces fairway bombs!

I have been using stiff flexed stock shafts for the longest time. I even bought a Tour AD DI stiff shaft (which is sitting in the storeroom because I can only launch it 5 ft off the ground). But because of my itchy backside, I bought the Razr Fit 9.5* from Bro Pocketace without considering the fact that it was on a Regular stock shaft. I guess I am very lucky as this combo has produced my longest drives but most importantly, with direction! And all of this is achieved with far less effort! I may be the tallest softy you will ever see now! A 6'2" person using a Regular shaft.

But like what Eric described about the 85mph swinger, the result speaks for itself. Macho specs loses money to softy birdies and pars! hahahahaha!

I'll take softy birdies and pars anytime!
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 7:56 am

Eric,

It's been a few years since you last fitted me. I finally got the hang of the cobra irons. I hope I can get some consistency with my driver before I come see you again!

And for me, the time will be when I am able to shoot where I aim with my driver 80% of the time. Now it is still 40%

For the benefit of others who do not know DGman@Eric, he will only fit you if he feels that you will benefit from fitting. My swing was not consistent enough to take advantage of a custom fitted driver, so he advised me to work on my swing first before seeing him again.

true enough, I am still back at square one after buying drivers from the forum wts threads. The final nail in the coffin was the lost 18 pro v's in spring city kunming. All from teeing off into ravines, thick roughs, and lost ball areas! My swing is still not consistent enough to take advantage of the new technologies of driver heads and shafts.

My backside is less itchy now that I have found the Razr Fit. This will be my last driver purchase! I PROMISE! Time to work on that 80% fairway hits!

Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 9:55 am

TITW wrote:
Kengnam wrote:

Rpm and mph? Rolling Eyes

Lots of difference

Sorry,it mph.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:27 am

@DGman, 85mph driver speed n 230-240mtr drive! You give me hope.
OK, gotta work on it. thank u. haha..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:32 am

wah....75mph and 150m with 7 iron...must ask him how he do it.....
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 11:04 am

DGman wrote:
the highest speed i have seen for a 6 iron is 106 mph. its not a mistake, the guy has to use a project 7.0.

i have a male golfer who swings his driver 85 mph with a 1.51 smash factor. he came last week with a cracked driver shaft. it was 47g and a LL flex. he requested for the same specs shaft and we gave him a Sakura 45L. the driver was an offset 13.5 degree cobra and measure 44 inch.

all he wants is 230 to 240 meters straight down the middle and he gets it the whole time. he don't care if someone laughs at him. he is a 6 handicapper and his 75 mph 7 iron speed gives him 150 to 155 meters carry. in all the years of club fitting, this gentleman has the most efficient swing i have seen. i am sure i mentioned him before.

DGman

At the opposite end of the physical spectrum, Carl Petersson (5'11" and weighing 200lbs) won a couple of weeks ago (a total of 5 wins on the PGA tour) using a Nike VR Pro STR8-FIT (11.5 degree; Mitsubishi Fubuki Alpha 50x shaft)....the shaft is 46.5in long and I believe the shaft weighs only 57g........!!!!!!

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/apr/17/toy-box-notes-pettersson-likes-more-driver-spin/?print
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swing speed vs shaft?    Swing speed vs shaft?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swing speed vs shaft?
Page 1 of 1