Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Virgin Golf Game

Go down 
+19
star
weesern
S70B
Cyp_PGA
GoLagiSlow
ironfist
WiLL
sunny
JawereZ
Technospaz
4dtoto
chocoman
mysticsea
ralphlim
Duval_S
splintuh
guybrush
rocky
Winston
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 2:59 pm

In 1.5 weeks time, I will begin my journey into the golfing world by playing a full 18 hole course here in Vietnam.

A very very good friend of mine who got me started into this sport has graciously invited me to join him in his weekly game despite knowing I am a complete noob in this game.

Was wondering if any of hte members here can provide me with any advice on what to do on the course and how to both mentally and physically prep myself for it. Wouldnt want to embarass myself and my friend on that day...
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 7:55 pm

Don't think about it. Just go enjoy the scenery and the company of your buddy. Throw out every ball that goes into the hazard (eg. sand bunker, rough, heavy rough). Forget the score and enjoy...
Back to top Go down
guybrush
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:12 pm

yes tats what i did on the first virgin 18 hole.. no need to worry about the score.. just have fun and play. mishit the shot just try again, if the ball go to hazard, just take the ball and place it somewhere nearby.. you will get used to it when u keep going to course and play..

once i mishit during tee off, people laugh so abit embarassed but well they know u beginner mah.. just retake lor.. they even help u with the setup..

so enjoy ur trip and the game Smile
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:17 pm

People laughed at you, mate? Serious?

Well, when I was a beginner, people cheered me on. "Good try, good try" or "it's ok, try again". Most important thing as a beginner, don't hold up play. If there is a flight behind that you are holding up, let them pass. Unfortunately if you are playing at some "world-class" place like Money Face Golf Club then sorry, you will be rushed by the marshals.
Back to top Go down
guybrush
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 pm

yea laugh but as in joking kind la.. i also laugh when i mishit haha..
anyway till now i still beginner haha.. play in course only 3 times Smile
but i only started not long ago though.

regarding the hold up play, yes, dun do that, we normally let them pass or maybe i will play it quicker...
Back to top Go down
splintuh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:41 pm

hmmm...
- try not to tense up when you tee off, remember to breath yah Smile
- don't force your swings... u dun need to swing hard. easy-does-it, enjoy the motion!
- and in the meantime, u can try swinging on grass to get used to the feel. on my virgin round, i had a phobia of hitting the grass and ended up mishitting alotta shots.

oh, and bring more balls!

Enjoy yourself, no need to feel embarrassed! And don't forget to use your HW (hand wedge) to get yourself out of difficult moments 8)
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks for all the advice.. I know for certain it would be a very different feel between range and green. Expecting to make the gardener work very hard for his salary.... silent

As for losing balls, I have already bought 2 bags of used balls. ROFL And I most certainly wont have any illusions of my score. Getting excited.Just hope to be able to control my excitment.

Any etiiquette to follow when on the green??
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:41 pm

hi Bro Winston....above all, do remember Rome was not built in a day....same as golf, don expect to play like those 'fiction golf' like the ones on PGA....hahahahaha

but seriously....take it easy....remember baby step......
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ralphlim

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:00 pm

give yourself a pat or clap for every good shot you make or for any shot that flew reasonable height and have some distance....

its your 1st game, dont be too hard on yourself, the aim is to fall in love with golf slowly but surely and not hate it after 1st 18 hole game...

Enjoy man!! once you love the smell of grass, you will constantly love forward to the smell again
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi Duval,

I most certainly wouldnt want to emulate any of the "PGA Stars". I want to stick to my own methods that way i would be unique...uniquly bad...wahahahaha lol! ROFL

I have set my self a target of losing less than 12 balls, 1 PAR and 1 GIR for one round of 18 holes. Would that be a realistic target?
Suspect

Hi Rocky,

I have a strange feeling the the price of salt would drop tremendously on that day. affraid but I do know it would all be in good fun. One of the reasons I picked a weekday was so that there would be lesser flights hence the possibility of holding up play would be minimal. Also my other flight mates wont feel so pressured when playing with me. I am actually not so worried about my score or anything. Just dont want to spoil the mood for everyone that day....
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Just returned from my first ever golf game. Was playing at Long Thanh Golf Club & Resort.

Here is the link. http://www.longthanhgolfresort.com.vn/default.htm
Click on english, click on hole description and it will show you all the 36 holes.
Nice place with modern facilities. Caddies were all professional and very polite. Green Fees and Caddy Fees total USD$40 for weekday.

Played the back nine of the Hill Course and back nine of the Lake Course as the front nines were under maintenance. It was raining the night before and this made the Hill course water logged amd very hard to play. Didnt even record my score and also was given Hand Wedge by friends.

Very very nervous on the front nine. Couldnt drive couldnt hit, haiz...Had many OBs, ball went swiming, in total lost 10 balls.

it was only in the last 4 holes of the lake course my game settled down. Had 3 double bogeys, 1 triple bogey. Almost parred a par 3....haiz.... also had one 3-on on a par 4. 7I shot about 150yds to land about 15 yards behind the flag. ended up with a 3 putt....

I have finally reliased just how different the range and the course can be. But the importance of practice at the range cannot be under-estimated....

I hope to have many many more games to come.....
Back to top Go down
mysticsea
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mysticsea

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 4:55 pm

congrats on the first game on course... being on the green can be a huge addiction Smile
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Winston wrote:
In 1.5 weeks time, I will begin my journey into the golfing world by playing a full 18 hole course here in Vietnam.

A very very good friend of mine who got me started into this sport has graciously invited me to join him in his weekly game despite knowing I am a complete noob in this game.

Was wondering if any of hte members here can provide me with any advice on what to do on the course and how to both mentally and physically prep myself for it. Wouldnt want to embarass myself and my friend on that day...

i have played song be, long tnanh.

nice courses.. Laughing .

i find the buggy fees on the high side.

paid abt 30 US for buggy at song be.

and abt 25US at long thanh.

watch out for bikes... Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 5:45 pm

@ Mysticsea..

Totally agree with you...very very addictive....

@Chocoman..

Golf in Vietnam is not cheap. The USD$40 I paid was because it was a weekday and had member sign us in. Also, we did not use buggy, we walked the full 18 course. My buddy say first time must walk...for the experience and "feel"....
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 5:46 pm

good things not cheap, cheap things not good
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Winston wrote:
@ Mysticsea..

Totally agree with you...very very addictive....

@Chocoman..

Golf in Vietnam is not cheap. The USD$40 I paid was because it was a weekday and had member sign us in. Also, we did not use buggy, we walked the full 18 course. My buddy say first time must walk...for the experience and "feel"....

First time ..walk....wah!!!! This is macam a more typical assocation with the subject header...to imply ' Raw '
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 7:03 pm

So envy, at least can play golf...me hv not been playing for the past month and 1 week...not even range,,except a few ball at the range... Sad

Golf is addictive...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:22 am

Sorry to dig up this old thread..

WIll be heading off for only my second game ever tommorow morning. Hope everything goes well.....

Will be playing at the following golf course. Lotus and Palm course....what am I getting myself into...... Shocked Stretcher HELP

http://songbegolf.com/main/
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 9:57 am

Winston wrote:
Sorry to dig up this old thread..

WIll be heading off for only my second game ever tommorow morning. Hope everything goes well.....

Will be playing at the following golf course. Lotus and Palm course....what am I getting myself into...... Shocked Stretcher HELP

http://songbegolf.com/main/

All the best! Hope you have a string of pars and birdies Smile
Back to top Go down
JawereZ
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JawereZ

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 10:46 am

Hiye all, so far for me I have not been to the 18 holes yet but i have been to NSRCC Exec 9 holes couples of times. Anybody out there, wanna bring a me, a noobie out for a 18 holes ? I'm all game but only if you can handle a noobie 'sillyness' , haha.

Still have not apply for the handicap maintenance. Any good recommendations. SSG right?

cheers
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:40 pm

You need to collect 5 score cards first. Executive and other non-rated courses do not count. I dont mind beginners as i am one myself
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
WiLL
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:59 pm

Can i join too? got my PC last mth then now kinda stuck cos all my golf kakis like either not too keen or always not free...

Really not good, lots of airballs, topping etc etc... hope you all dont mind
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 3:24 pm

We have all been thru that.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 4:54 pm

i'm playing my virgin 18holes this thursday in malaysia! not sure which resort yet but i can't wait! dreaming of divots already! haha
Back to top Go down
GoLagiSlow
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
GoLagiSlow

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 5:48 pm

WiLL wrote:
Can i join too? got my PC last mth then now kinda stuck cos all my golf kakis like either not too keen or always not free...

Really not good, lots of airballs, topping etc etc... hope you all dont mind

bo jio? I also beginner leh....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Virgin Golf Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Golf Game   Virgin Golf Game I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Virgin Golf Game
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next