Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your first game_how you picked up golf

Go down 
+8
daveaha
rocky
joe
Roystonnn
tronos
splintuh
suj
jurongtiger
12 posters
AuthorMessage
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

Your first game_how you picked up golf Empty
PostSubject: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 4:31 pm

I was replying to a thread in the forum and I started to recall how I picked up the game and my virgin game on grass.

I have read how the forumers here picked up golf in one of the threads.

Would be interesting to find out if anyone of you guys recalled your first game of your life for a 9 or 18 hole full game. How long ago was it?

I recalled mine at Mandai Executive Course some 3 yrs ago. Cannot sleep the night before, thinking abt the game and how I cannot screw up on my swing and all the drills I did at TPY range.

Dressed very nicely in pants and matching cap and golf tee for 730am tee with new gloves somemore. Do a lot of warm up swings at the first tee prior to the game. hehehe. Sibei kan chiong cos got so many people lined up at the first hole waiting for their turn. And I went on a weekend....

First shot sliced out of the fence to the road. 70m. Very paiseh.

Didnt enjoy my virgin game.

Didnt know what I was doing. Lost 13 balls for 9 holes.

I think I was using a 7 iron the whole game. Haha
Back to top Go down
suj
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 4:42 pm

same same hahahha executive mandai!!! just about 8-9 months ago i was there....shucks ..
Back to top Go down
splintuh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 5:03 pm

Haha, my virgin attempt was on JCC executive course. With my trusty 7-iron, I shanked my way through the first 5 holes... so paiseh. I remember getting attacked by red ants at one point, and the highlight was a par later on... I mishit a shot off the tee, and it rolled across the fairway onto the green like it was billiards. A magnificent 2-putt sealed that par for me.

After that, it was back to playing hide & seek in the rough.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 6:06 pm

almost died after walking 5 holes at the executive in the hot sun. Barely survive the 9 holes. Only took one small water bottle which finished by hole 3. Took 1/2 day leave to play in the afternoon
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Mine was at Mandai EGC.
My frend lent me his 7i, SW & Putter.
I learnt alot on dropping ball, just knew it was fun & the rests I forgot. keke.
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 6:40 pm

splintuh wrote:
Haha, my virgin attempt was on JCC executive course. With my trusty 7-iron, I shanked my way through the first 5 holes... so paiseh. I remember getting attacked by red ants at one point, and the highlight was a par later on... I mishit a shot off the tee, and it rolled across the fairway onto the green like it was billiards. A magnificent 2-putt sealed that par for me.

After that, it was back to playing hide & seek in the rough.

Fwah. One par in virgin game! Impressive! hehe
Back to top Go down
joe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
joe

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 9:34 pm

first game was in SZ, Yinli GC 6 months ago, great course.. still remember the fateful day when the caddies were giggling at my shots and playing pingpong around the tee, ball went up down left right before dropping.

4 hours after being baked under the 34 deg sun and 135 shots later, I knew I had to come back for more.
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Shot 49 at Mandai for my first game (18th July 2008). Didn't count some of the shots because coach wanted us to enjoy the game. Bunkers, heavy rough were all hand-wedged out.

The experience was fantastic. I hit 2 pars that day. It was cool.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 12:04 am

Played my virgin game @ Green fairways... 2 years ago...
Commando course... 2nd hole is just like horrible... up hill downhill....

Gosh.. I think I lost many2 balls also there... didn't even bothered to count the score...
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:09 am

played in guam.

5 ball or 5-some in local guam lingo.

teed off at 2pm.

4 other single handicappers plus me virgin.

bam. bam. bam. bam. and then i will whip out my 5 iron and 'tok' 'tok' kok' all the way.

automatic gimmes unless it is a par or better putt.

we got done at 4.30pm.

I looked at my guam boss and said, "was that golf?"
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
...whip out my 5 iron and 'tok' 'tok' kok' all the way....

No wonder it was a blur. Half the time toking kok. lol!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 8:37 am

Mine was at my home club in Malaysia. It was with my Dad. Just the 2 of us, on a Thursday afternoon.

Weather was beautiful. My golf was crap.

Fast forward some 16-17 years later to last Sunday at Tanjong Puteri.

Weather was beautiful. My golf was crap.

... and who said I wasn't consistent?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 9:48 am

You know....some people find the virgin game as a celebration....as a form of conquest...as a breaking out of the cocoon...as a transformation fm Boy to Man......

But for me, it was a disaster....played at seletar Base 9-hole course (for those young like me will remember)....wah...kena chase, kena verbal adjectives showered on me...kena thrash talk...weep weep........don want to talk anymore, nitemares will surface again.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:42 am

Duval_S wrote:
You know....some people find the virgin game as a celebration....as a form of conquest...as a breaking out of the cocoon...as a transformation fm Boy to Man......

But for me, it was a disaster....played at seletar Base 9-hole course (for those young like me will remember)....wah...kena chase, kena verbal adjectives showered on me...kena thrash talk...weep weep........don want to talk anymore, nitemares will surface again.

Bro DS. Say what you want, I think your game is pretty solid. On this point, I wanted to thank you for imparting your tip on the pitching. I used it on Sunday and it was pretty good. Distance-wise, I need to control but that comes with more practice. But at least I wasn't skulling/duffing my shots!! I owe you a makan!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 11:30 am

Technospaz wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

Aiyah..no problem lah...I am also surprised..that.I can also give good tips...hahahahah

can do barter trading......exchange makan for 'mercy' strokes during our next game?

Bro DS. Say what you want, I think your game is pretty solid. On this point, I wanted to thank you for imparting your tip on the pitching. I used it on Sunday and it was pretty good. Distance-wise, I need to control but that comes with more practice. But at least I wasn't skulling/duffing my shots!! I owe you a makan!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 11:32 am

[quote="Duval_S"]
Technospaz wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

Quote :

Aiyah..no problem lah...I am also surprised..that.I can also give good tips...hahahahah

can do barter trading......exchange makan for 'mercy' strokes during our next game?
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 1:26 pm

joe wrote:
first game was in SZ, Yinli GC 6 months ago, great course.. still remember the fateful day when the caddies were giggling at my shots and playing pingpong around the tee, ball went up down left right before dropping.

4 hours after being baked under the 34 deg sun and 135 shots later, I knew I had to come back for more.

ooo... play pingpong with what? *wink*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your first game_how you picked up golf   Your first game_how you picked up golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your first game_how you picked up golf
Page 1 of 1