Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who's still playing 3-Irons?

Go down 
+20
fata
eiji
Master
Bangla123
andrew-golf
Hogan
Derek
HyBriD
maojing123
cwpei8888
shamusan
blee67
Duval_S
Technospaz
dmateo
Turbo
Lee36328
Cyp_PGA
Khorkar
Newtogolf
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Who's still playing 3-Irons? Empty
PostSubject: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Just kinda curious since these days there's lots of folks playing Hybrids. I'm wondering who are still playing 3-Irons?

Kinda curious as I was playing on course for the past few times and find myself hammering the grounds with the 2 Hybrid with extremely bad shots that I used to be pretty proud of and eventually reaching for the 4 Iron which I realised gave me greater confidence and distance over the Hybrids. Kinda wished I've got a 3 Iron all of a sudden (just like wishing I'd get my hands on the Lob Wedge ASAP).

Since the SQ Machspeed 3 Iron has a loft of about 20 degrees and the SQ Machspeed 2 Hybrid has a loft of about 18 degrees, is it advisable to swap out the Hybrid for a 3 Iron instead? The SQ Machspeed 3W I'm thinking of getting has a loft of about 15 degrees. Is it advisable to clear the bag of the 2 Hybrid permanently to get the 3 Iron?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 1:15 pm

Bro, if you have problem using a hybrid then you probably wont fare well with a 3i partly a 3i will demand a better hit and accuracy. Then again, I could be totally wrong. So, in the end, you got to try. You can consider alternatives such as a 5W.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Actually your hybrid is mostly a 2 iron as i use 17 degree as a 5 wood .... but i got 3 iron too ... i don't know your swing and club head spead . i will say hybrid are easier to hit than 3 iron . but why don't you get a 3iron and keep your hybrid ? and get a 3 wood will be good of 15 degree for long par 5 ... you got only 12 club in your bag !!!!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Newtogolf wrote:
Just kinda curious since these days there's lots of folks playing Hybrids. I'm wondering who are still playing 3-Irons?

If fortune continues to smile on me, after my recent sessions at the range, I will soon be able to answer: Me.

I found it bemusing as I realized I am hitting the 3 iron straighter than I used to hit my PW (used to have a hook.)

Got a dilemma because I love my Adams hybrids, both the 18* an d20*, but the 3-iron is getting there in length. Might have to resort to removing 1 wedge, the 52*. Or remove the 4 iron; somehow I find myself seldom using the 4 or 5.

Another bonus, I think playing a 3 iron keeps my swing in good shape, prevents it from getting sloppy.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 1:51 pm

I used to use 2i in my younger days but now I am getting older and my clubhead speed is slower ... Therefore I only use up to 4i now. Long iron requires lots of clubhead speed and very good ball striking ability to benefit from it. Besides that, one needs to practise alot inorder to stay consistent. I dun have the time to go to the range, and hence, I gave up on 2 & 3i. I can benefit more from my hybrid as social golfer. I hit my hybrid much longer and higher.
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 2:48 pm

only up to 4 iron here. the new club will have 3 iron but it will remain to be seen on whether I can hit it properly. I'm not a hybrid school as well, so it's just iron, 4 wood and a driver for me.

I do have a friend that only has iron and driver. On holes where 250m + is risky he will pull out his 3 iron and do a 210-220m. I guess some people are just monster by nature.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 3:01 pm

dmateo wrote:
only up to 4 iron here. the new club will have 3 iron but it will remain to be seen on whether I can hit it properly. I'm not a hybrid school as well, so it's just iron, 4 wood and a driver for me.

I do have a friend that only has iron and driver. On holes where 250m + is risky he will pull out his 3 iron and do a 210-220m. I guess some people are just monster by nature.

Bro, take it from me, when you pure a 3-iron LE small blade, you'll be looking around for cameras because you'll feel like one of the guys on the Golf Channel. Laughing Laughing Laughing Keep practicing, it's not that hard.

There is a palpable sense of accomplishment and the glow of pride that comes with it, a feeling hybrids just don't quite match.

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 4:37 pm

I just ditched my 4H for my 4i today and hit a few decent'ish shots with my 4i. But before that, the highest in my bag was a 5h. A long time ago, I had a 3i but rarely used it. When hybrids started to make their mark, it got replaced with my 3H... and I think I'll keep it that way.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Nowadays I only play with Wedges

Eg. 7w, 8w, 6w, 9w, pw,Aw and sw
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 5:41 pm

I'm not too sure but somehow I feel a lot more confident holding a 4I than I am holding a 2H.

Perhaps its because most of us started training with a 7I? I'd only really touched Drivers and Hybrids only when I'm confident enough and it was only just 2 months ago, other than that, I was mostly training with my Irons all the while.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Newtogolf wrote:
I'm not too sure but somehow I feel a lot more confident holding a 4I than I am holding a 2H.

Perhaps its because most of us started training with a 7I? I'd only really touched Drivers and Hybrids only when I'm confident enough and it was only just 2 months ago, other than that, I was mostly training with my Irons all the while.

Bro, even many top PGA tour PRO use up to 4i. Good example is YE Yang & Thongchai. At one time I even saw him used up to 5i and the Hybrids. It was that Hybrid that helps him to win his first major Championship.

If you cannot consistently hit 200m with a 3i, you can forget about it and defeat the purpose of using a 3i. We have to ask ourselves how many shots out of 10 we can flush the sweet spot with a 3i. Epsecially if one try to hit a 3i on the deck during a round, it is gonna be a tall order for social golfers like us. Perhaps you may still try doing it on a tee which is easier.

Only a few number of top PRO use 2i and some use cavity backed 2i for more forgivenness. I have not seen a PRO use a 2i on the deck.

Cheers,
Turbo
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I just ditched my 4H for my 4i today and hit a few decent'ish shots with my 4i. But before that, the highest in my bag was a 5h. A long time ago, I had a 3i but rarely used it. When hybrids started to make their mark, it got replaced with my 3H... and I think I'll keep it that way.

Decent shots? lucky no bets today hor if not, I would have been creamed by you hor. Looks like the stars moon sun and nasi goreng are all in alignment for you today! Only thing that spoiled your game somewhat was the rain..... White Flag
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 6:38 pm

I use a 3i and I love it. In fact, I'm trying to find a 2i too
Back to top Go down
cwpei8888
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 8:18 pm

used to hit 3i, but the percentage very low. so now only using 2H to replace 3i so dun need to kbkb hitting it to gain the same yardage. hitting 3i/ 2H ard 180m. yes, it's shorter than average players, but the percentage is higher and more accurate. Laughing

sham, u can play 2i? woah very good.

duval, i can play all wedges too. 1w, 2w ... sw. the same loft, different shaft lenght cheers

i'm still looking for someone who can hit driver for fairway!! anyone???
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Me me me. I can hit driver from fairway. But go where... I dunno. Haha

Yes, I'm decent with a 2i
Back to top Go down
maojing123
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 1:29 am

i think irons control is always much betta.. 3 iron also comes in handy when you land between trees and you wan to launch a low shot but with distance at the same time =)
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:18 pm

dmateo wrote:

Just like Dmateo mentioned.

I have some friends who do not know how to used Fw and Hyrbids but can hit irons quite well.

And there are some Golfers who do not know how to used irons and uses hybrids only. the only iron in the bag is his Pw and Sw.

Golf is such an enigma.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
cwpei8888
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:39 pm

i guess for me accuracy means able to hit on intended target distance +/-5m and left/right by the same range. depending on the courses, some fairway really fluffy so we can go aggressive especially on raining season.

my trajectory is already low (no power), so if using 2 or 3 irons, it is more like playing bowling in the golf courses, except the ball is much smaller Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 2:17 am

I think at 200m .. +/- 5m left right and back forward is not considered accurate ....

It is considered DEADLY
Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:40 am

newtogolf,
I find your question pretty intersting. Why don't you compare the shaft length of your 2 hybrid with your 4 iron. I'll assume that a shorter shaft will be easier to hit, notwithstanding the size and weight of the club head. Likewise, if you are going to try a longer shaft and a smaller head club, it will be harder to hit the ball flush.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Derek wrote:
I think at 200m .. +/- 5m left right and back forward is not considered accurate ....

It is considered DEADLY

so whats the definition for me bro, at 200m i've got a dispersion of +/- 50m
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Sham

Selling ur limited edition Hugo boss bag?

Hee
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 12:13 pm

errm, you wont want it bro... the quality is not too good, thts why i changed...
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
Sham

Hee

Wow Hugo boss makes golf bags? Can you purchase one in Singapore ? I HIT IT
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Bangla123 wrote:
andrew-golf wrote:
Sham

Hee

Wow Hugo boss makes golf bags? Can you purchase one in Singapore ? I HIT IT

Hi friend,

If you're looking for one, I can get one from you from my friendly supplier in guangzhou.

You let me know what other brands you looking for, got Louis Vuitton (very popular), Gucci , Mont Blanc, Prada, Versace, etc.

But because its made for the chinese market, some of the names might be slightly different, like LouiZ VuittoM, Cucci, Mont Branc, Plada, and Versase.

please tell me if you still interested, I will order for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's still playing 3-Irons?   Who's still playing 3-Irons? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who's still playing 3-Irons?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next