Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stuck at 100m

Go down 
+32
Derek
pizzaboi
simon1982
kevinhwc
CoRN
Botak88
JCase
ngjw89
JGoh
Adriaan Herman
cwpei8888
Redvodka
bkll
Quest
Lee36328
Hogan
tronos
dmateo
Winston
Technospaz
Duval_S
asahi
CoastGuy
golf_snowman
DimWit Kid
beerbutt
Cyp_PGA
Birdman
sandkie
xentaur
zixter
tkp77
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JGoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JGoh

Stuck at 100m - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Adriaan Herman wrote:
Hi Francis,

Well i read all the comments and advice GR golfers gave you. Yes , its true that practice is important, but remember to practice the right way. No use hitting 300 golf balls at the range but you have no idea what you doing. You have to learm how to practice and practicing productively is the key. If you dont know why and where is your mistakes then how can you fix it ?? Just be carefull not to fall into the same traps as other golfers. They tend to listen to their fellow golf buddies and end up spending more money to fix it later. The most common things i see on the driving ranges is that one beginner teaches another beginner how to play golf...hahahah.Smile

So please feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Also feel free to come and see me for a FREE video analysis and then we can pinpoint your mistakes and help you hit that 7iron further Smile

Regards

Adriaan Herman

We can't disregard the saying that "practice makes perfect".
Tiger Woods is knowN to shoot 1,000 balls a day... or is that a myth?

Practice has at least 3 of the following reasons:
1. It is meant to perfect the swing so that the ball will go wherever you want it to go.
2. It is meant to allow the arm be the extension of the club, again to ensure that the ball goes where you want to "throw" it.
3. For muscle memory, so that you will have (and remembers) a consistent good swing over and over again.

It is however dangerous to practise blindly, as practicing the wrong moves, will inevitably allow you to shoot wrongly.. consistently..

To cut short the learning curve, the pro and the beginner are inseparable. The initial comments by friends for the beginner, however, cannot be underestimated. Other than providing the necessary bad experiences, these advice are, more importantly, given in good faith, and also, FREE!!!

my 3 cents..
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:14 pm

JGoh wrote:
We can't disregard the saying that "practice makes perfect".
Tiger Woods is knowN to shoot 1,000 balls a day... or is that a myth?

Practice has at least 3 of the following reasons:
1. It is meant to perfect the swing so that the ball will go wherever you want it to go.
2. It is meant to allow the arm be the extension of the club, again to ensure that the ball goes where you want to "throw" it.
3. For muscle memory, so that you will have (and remembers) a consistent good swing over and over again.

It is however dangerous to practise blindly, as practicing the wrong moves, will inevitably allow you to shoot wrongly.. consistently..

To cut short the learning curve, the pro and the beginner are inseparable. The initial comments by friends for the beginner, however, cannot be underestimated. Other than providing the necessary bad experiences, these advice are, more importantly, given in good faith, and also, FREE!!!

my 3 cents..

We also can't dieregard the saying "the blind leading the blind"
I have personally seen a guy who takes advice from so many people that his swing is now so screwed up because of all the different swing thoughts. I once saw him taking advice from Frined A whos swing was like 45* out to 45* in path with his head bobbing up and down through out the whole swing. I mean, come on.....
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:38 pm

Winston wrote:

I have personally seen a guy who takes advice from so many people that his swing is now so screwed up because of all the different swing thoughts. I once saw him taking advice from Frined A whos swing was like 45* out to 45* in path with his head bobbing up and down through out the whole swing. I mean, come on.....

Is this him? geek

Back to top Go down
tkp77
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Birdman, thats very entertaining...

But if it can help him to drive straight and far, then it works for him.
Back to top Go down
tkp77
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:16 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I know learning something is not an overnight thing... and I am happy to know that there are many people here willing to share their experience. I know I am not spending enough time for practice, but I can say that I try to make each shot counts, and if it doesn't, I try to recall what went wrong and to correct it for the next shot.

After all, a good golf swing is "a consistant and repeatable swing".

I will practise more at the range, and will try the Executive golf course for some real life green action with some of my experience friends. Afterall, I just hope that I could enjoy the game, not just at the range, but in any golf course.

Thanks, once again for the tips and advice.

Francis.
Back to top Go down
ngjw89
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:31 pm

bkll wrote:
Golf is a funny game. If you give your 100% swing and hit 100m, when you throttle back to 80%, you might hit further. Just focus on good, consistent impact and the distance will come.

Anyways, if you can hit 100m consistently, par 3 = 2 on, par 4 = 3 on. That is really good enough for a social game. (from white tees)

yup, sometimes when trying to push it will end up you might lose some balance, rhythm or tempo, which works out to a poorer shot
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:50 pm

tkp77 wrote:

Here's one more for you, it's a bit long, but you'll be heartened to know that even a top is good for something. Very Happy

Enjoy your golf. Swing
Back to top Go down
JCase
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:06 am

This takes a lot of patience and work.

Understanding the golf swing is not easy. So many things need to simultaneously happen in order to strike the ball well. As for irons, the main purpose is for high ball flight and soft landing, so no choice ball needs to be struck at the base and divot needs to be taken.

Get the swing fundamentals right first. Distance and accuracy will occur naturally over time.
Back to top Go down
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 am

Hi bro;

just to share.

I started playing golf for about a year+ now.

Initial same problem with u. After some tme manage to hit my 7I above 100m n quite consistancely. Even PW can hit 100m, wow sibeh happy hor

After i started training my driver, than wood, pale all bwang. . . because one need to sweep and iron need to compress ball (i think). My swing all haywire liao

Well still training hard, 2 tme per week and enjoying the game

U r not alone bro, lets chiong together.

Cheer sunny
Back to top Go down
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoRN

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 10:25 am

Birdman wrote:
tkp77 wrote:

Here's one more for you, it's a bit long, but you'll be heartened to know that even a top is good for something. Very Happy

Enjoy your golf. Swing

I noticed that they all have one thing in common.......

All of them were enjoying the session, being good or bad shot.
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 10:26 am

Bro, chill...

I'm also new to golf.. probably 3 mths or so? my 7i is ard 110 on average but without consistency still... i'm trying to get consistency first before going for distance... and that's what my coach told me also, no point hitting inconsistent 150 and flying everywhere.... you end up worse on the course...

Till now, I haven't even go on chipping... I'm still focusing on my 7i and once in a while, driver and woods.... (but my driver and woods hitting is terrible).... take it a step a time..
Back to top Go down
simon1982
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
simon1982

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi all,

Just did a search on the forum and found this title stuck at 100m with iron 7.
And this is happening to me now.

I just started learning probably my 6 or 7 lessons. My iron 7 is max 100 but inconsistency.
(Sometimes with luck, a proper nice swing make me land at 110m)..
My mindset is like telling me to swing faster to hit further but i think that is where my problem is. Want to hit further and causing me to swing badly and hence bad shots.

Just attended lesson last Wednesday and my instructor said my swing is out and have to start from scratch. OMG was so disappointed but nevertheless will try again during practice.

Now back from scratch to do my basic swing consistent before harbouring thoughts to gain distance..

Back to top Go down
pizzaboi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
pizzaboi

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 4:04 pm

I find that the more ox strength you use, the ball will just mishit or top .

The easier you swing at it, the better the ball will fly. Momentum is impt also.

Swing fast, body hip turn, leg weight trf all must catch up ...
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Hey Simon ... just like to share with you my most important tip when it comes to golf ...

If you are going to hire a coach, then trust him and listen to what he says and practice what he wants you to practice. Don't try to incorporate golf tips from the internet and magazines with what he is asking you to practice.

Commit yourself to practising what you have been asked to practice, and give it enough time. A couple of hundred balls may not be enough.

Just trust your coach ... the improvement will come
Back to top Go down
RngRover
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
RngRover

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Not sure if it is any consolation but I am at 100m, after 4 months using a 7 and i have no PC.

Not bothered... actually happy I'm hitting the ball forward most of the time and not blasting the guard rails anymore.

Though scaring the wits end off guy in the stall next to me was a good laugh at times. Twisted Evil You will miss that when you get better. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DimWit Kid
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DimWit Kid

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 8:24 pm

RngRover wrote:
Not sure if it is any consolation but I am at 100m, after 4 months using a 7 and i have no PC.

Not bothered... actually happy I'm hitting the ball forward most of the time and not blasting the guard rails anymore.

Though scaring the wits end off guy in the stall next to me was a good laugh at times. Twisted Evil You will miss that when you get better. Very Happy

That's the spirit!!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Talent divided by inverse of time multiplied by effort = results... So no rush la.. Unless u have time and talent (money does help a bit but not much)..

7i 100m sounds good for a beginner Smile i normally go laguna for range feel free to join me if u want.. Beginner myself here..
Back to top Go down
simon1982
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
simon1982

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi Derek,

You are right! I trust my coach and therefore i like to listen to his advice.

His advice to me to re-start from basic half swing to practice. Today went range with his advice in mind. Even though no distance, but am able to hit 60 to 75 consistent straight balls. Most importantly, am not tired or muscle strained.

Yes will practice what my coach ask me to practice. I found that too many advices from others really spoil my swing. Like what others had posted, only the coach (Doctor) knows where your fault is and can give you the right "medication".

Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 11:04 pm

I use to focus on distance and hitting ball after ball at the range did not improve..Of late I focus on my backswing....my backswing is one of the main culprit. Slowly but surely I notice roughly 5 to 7 meters increase in distance (BUT I WAS NOT FOCUSING ON THE DISTANCE PART, BUT MY BACKSWING).

I set for myself a traget distance which I want to achieve BUT MY FOCUS IS MY BACKSWING. If the fundemantals is correct, the distance part will fall in place. Now I do not look at the guy at the next bay in ther range and say "wah, so far" than I take my club and wack my guts out just to try to be on par with him. It did't work for me!!!!

Lastly, I now learn to play within myself, knowing that I can do more than my current state but I must also know that I am not a professional player. Thus play within my limited physical body, ability.

I enjoy the game better>>>> H
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 9:26 am

Hi mate

I understand how you feel. Everyone wants to hit it out there as far as the rest and even pros and good players want to hit the ball farther.However you might also wonder why some who have the weirdest looking swings can hit the ball a decent distance. Length of a shot are decided by a few factors
1. Quality of strike( centerness of clubface)
2. Speed of motion( clubhead speed)
3. Impact position (clubface shaft angle and body positions at impact)

All these can be only achieved with:
1. Good fundementals( grip, stance ,posture, alignment, ball position)
2. Good swing path (swing plane)
3. Good clubface angles
4. Coil, understanding body movements.
5. Leverage
6. Radius of swing.
7. Balance.
So in a nutshell. To hit the ball that 'desired' distance, we have to get the basic fundementals right, swing on a correct path with proper body movements so we could create power and unwind at the golf ball with the right angles and as center a strike as possible.
To achieve this we have to:

1. Be solid with basic fundementals
2. Learn swing path and clubface
3. Learn correct body movements
4. Learn what impact should be
5. Understand the physical state you are currently in( flexibility and strength)

I'm very certain that if you learn these 5 basic points, you'd definitely hit it farther and straighter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stuck at 100m   Stuck at 100m - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stuck at 100m
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2