Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amateur Iron Suggestions

Go down 
+15
nremda
hiryu
NY
babolat
Turbo
Momo333
Batman
swingandstroke
markdylan
TaylorMadeKL
haragolfer
snagy23
chip_munkie
akhild
Exodus
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Exodus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Amateur Iron Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi golfers,

Just took up golfing and am looking for a good amateur golf iron. What should i start with? 

Have been considering Titleist AP1. Anyone has a better suggestions or tips? bounce 

Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
akhild
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
akhild

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 12:51 pm

More details needed. Can u consistently launch with ur 7i now? Any idea on swing speed?

If rank beginner, I would recommend some GI irons used (diablo edge). U can get it for 200-300. Once interest n ability grows, get fitted.
Back to top Go down
Exodus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 1:00 pm

hmm, i can launch consistently but i tend to slice on most shots. How do i measure swing speed?

Sorry but what are diablo edge? Thought with cavity back type irons would suit any amateur?
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
chip_munkie

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi Exodus, do read up on the stickies in the forum and also there is a search bar on the top where you can use to find what you needed. Rather than us answering your question one by one where you can read them up when you get time. Cheers
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi you may check out this link;

http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp?ai=870&eid=IronMPF

The higher the mpf number, the easier the golf club will help you if you are a beginner.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 5:59 pm

just started playing, either buy super cheap from our marketplace.

or buy anything that inspires you to want to caress the club, get excited to hold it, happy to look at it.
Back to top Go down
TaylorMadeKL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TaylorMadeKL

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 7:01 pm

+1...

Totally agree... Must get something that u can get excited about...

When I started playing golf, I bought a cheap but extremely old set of irons for really cheap (<$50)... But as I was still learning, chin chye abit...

Then I got offered to buy over a friend's TM Burner 2.0 set after a few sessions... Thus started my equipment lust... But fully agree with haragolfer that you must wanna caress the club and feel excited about going to practice with it...

haragolfer wrote:

or buy anything that inspires you to want to caress the club, get excited to hold it, happy to look at it.
Back to top Go down
Exodus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 11:46 pm

That is a very helpful site snagy23! Thanks for that.

I am pretty excited about the AP1, so I may just go for it. Just haven't made up my mind if I should go for new or used.
Back to top Go down
markdylan
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
markdylan

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 2:06 am

Go for it..Exodus..which AP1 u have in mind? 710,712 or 714?
Back to top Go down
markdylan
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
markdylan

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 2:50 am

Exodus..this bro from GR selling his 714 AP1 with nspro regular flex shaft for $650.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t28109-wtb-titleist-ap1-714#433157
Back to top Go down
Exodus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 12:25 pm

I'm drooling over 714. I would consider 712 at a good price.
Back to top Go down
Exodus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 12:26 pm

PM him. Still waiting for reply
Back to top Go down
swingandstroke
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
swingandstroke

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 1:20 pm

I will borrow a used set from a friend or relative. Then invest on golfing lessons until can hit more consistent. To be honest, couldn't appreciate the difference between good and bad irons until can hit the sweet spot more consistently.

AP1 is gorgeous. I also suggest looking at JPX EZ forged or the older JPX 825 forged. I personally like the softer feeling of a forged iron.
Back to top Go down
Exodus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 7:34 pm

I was given a set of blade irons but they are ridiculous to play with at my stage. Need something extremely forgiving to work on my form and of cause confidence!

I dislike graphite...they are just too light, the feel is just wrong to me. Maybe when I get better my preference may change.
Back to top Go down
Exodus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 9:55 pm

The 714 got sold.. That was fast
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 10:02 pm

U can consider the Cobra S2 Max set which Golf Direct is selling for 200+.. My 1st newbie set was also S2 hehe..

IMO, u can't feel much different whether it is game improvement or performance irons..

I'd advise u investing in a good putter because that is the only club u will use on every hold AND more than once  ROFL 
Back to top Go down
Exodus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 10:50 pm

I have seen a lot of laojiao uncle using cobra equipments instead of the more conventional brands. Wonder if I'm missing something.

I'm usually stuck with my wedge as I either have to chip or pitch due to slicing.

How do u even tell u have a good putter?
Back to top Go down
Momo333
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Momo333

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 11:51 pm

haragolfer wrote:

I like what you said... caress.... get excited... happy to look at.... very sexy description!

Currently I am using a chin chye set (loose irons and woods I have just put together). I'm not very happy with them but then it's ok for the time being. I went to Golf Direct just last weekend and the salesman had enticed me with a set of ladies Callaway irons which I am holding back the urge to buy now.

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 11:59 pm

Momo333 wrote:
haragolfer wrote:

I like what you said... caress.... get excited... happy to look at.... very sexy description!

Currently I am using a chin chye set (loose irons and woods I have just put together).  I'm not very happy with them but then it's ok for the time being.  I went to Golf Direct just last weekend and the salesman had enticed me with a set of ladies Callaway irons which I am holding back the urge to buy now.

You can consider ladies' Maruman irons w/Graphite shafts ... User-friendly and light weight which is good for Asian women ...
Back to top Go down
Momo333
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Momo333

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 12:08 am

[/quote]

You can consider ladies' Maruman irons w/Graphite shafts ... User-friendly and light weight which is good for Asian women ... [/quote]

Do you have the Maruman model name?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi Momo, you can consider the Maruman RZ Ladies irons which is suitable for beginning golfers ...

Amateur Iron Suggestions L_set_2_pk
Back to top Go down
Momo333
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Momo333

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks Turbo for the reference. I'll go to the shops to have a feel.
Back to top Go down
Exodus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 7:12 pm

I see places like golf house and Isetan Lido offer in house golf fitting. Anyone tried that? Any feedback?
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
babolat

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Look out for demo days at driving range.
Try all the clubs you can. When you have the right clubs in your hand, you will know.
If you're really keen in golf, you may like to consider an intermediate set instead of a beginner set.
If you are just trying out golf and see if you will like this game, then better get from the used clubs market.

Last edited by babolat on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NY
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 8:36 pm

You can consider ladies' Maruman irons w/Graphite shafts ... User-friendly and light weight which is good for Asian women ... [/quote]

Do you have the Maruman model name?[/quote]

Hi Momo

Try this web sites www.golfsite.sg  lots of 2nd hand clubs can be found there.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amateur Iron Suggestions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next