Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amateur Iron Suggestions

Go down 
+15
nremda
hiryu
NY
babolat
Turbo
Momo333
Batman
swingandstroke
markdylan
TaylorMadeKL
haragolfer
snagy23
chip_munkie
akhild
Exodus
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TaylorMadeKL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TaylorMadeKL

Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi Exodus, the golf fitting provided at Golf House and Isetan are not proper golf fitting. They probably just "fit" you to a correct shaft flex at most...

For a proper fitting, u usually need properly certified fitters?

Correct me if I am wrong here...
Back to top Go down
hiryu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 9:50 pm

You're right.
They are not fitters in the true sense of the word.
Avoid them if possible.
Back to top Go down
nremda
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
nremda

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 9:58 pm

hiryu wrote:
You're right.
They are not fitters in the true sense of the word.
Avoid them if possible.
Bought a second hand g25, brought it back to Ping and they took my measurements, got me to hit 20 plus balls, changed it from a black dot to red dot, changed my grip to suit my hands.... 

Does that constitute as being fitted?
Back to top Go down
hiryu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 10:07 pm

To me, it's not true fitting.
I like Ping stuff but I find the fitting lacking.
I spoke to an American friend who was fitted in the US for Ping and it's very different from what we have here. They have way more shaft options for one.

To me the real fitting comes from places like Torque, Wizgolf and BFG.
But hey that's just me.
Back to top Go down
chuangyee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 10:21 pm

hiryu wrote:
To me, it's not true fitting.
I like Ping stuff but I find the fitting lacking.
I spoke to an American friend who was fitted in the US for Ping and it's very different from what we have here. They have way more shaft options for one.

To me the real fitting comes from places like Torque, Wizgolf and BFG.
But hey that's just me.

I thought Ping fitting is not bad? They measure you up. Then use impact board. Even have nflight with different shafts.
Back to top Go down
hiryu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 10:28 pm

I think it's a discussion best left to PMs as I do not wish to stir up a shitstorm among the Ping supporters here.
Like I say, it's just my personal opinion.
Others might disagree.
Back to top Go down
Golfish
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Golfish

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 10:42 pm

From what I know, Mizuno has got very very good golf set for ladies...
Don't buy any before u try Mizuno...
Back to top Go down
nremda
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
nremda

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 11:30 pm

hiryu, no worries... I'm a Ping supporter... can ask Golfish, my set thus far is all Ping except for my driver. 

I didnt do the flight scope that day... not sure why they didn't set me up for it... but I was also a little rushed to pick up the wife so didn't ask for it also... but to answer to chuangyee's point, aren't the shaft still Ping's stock shafts only in different flex? I may be wrong...
Back to top Go down
Momo333
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Momo333

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Golfish wrote:

Thanks Golfish for the mizuno recommendation.  Actually I was already eyeing the mizuno ladies set. JPX is quite heavy for me (I went to Golf House to touch and feel it).  Efil or Zephyr is lighter. If there is a used and rather new set for sale, I will buy over.

On the other hand, I think it will be good if I can try out the mizuno clubs first (at the range) before buying.  Maybe wait for demo days.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Momo333 wrote:
Golfish wrote:

Thanks Golfish for the mizuno recommendation.  Actually I was already eyeing the mizuno ladies set. JPX is quite heavy for me (I went to Golf House to touch and feel it).  Efil or Zephyr is lighter. If there is a used and rather new set for sale, I will buy over.

On the other hand, I think it will be good if I can try out the mizuno clubs first (at the range) before buying.  Maybe wait for demo days.

My 2 cents is look at 2nd hand shops.. go FESC and look around. Until you know that you are into this sport... then take a serious look and go for a fitted set. Golf is a sport where its not every expensive.. but its not cheap either. 

You will be surprise the quality of 2nd hand equipment.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 4:38 pm

nremda wrote:
hiryu, no worries... I'm a Ping supporter... can ask Golfish, my set thus far is all Ping except for my driver. 

I didnt do the flight scope that day... not sure why they didn't set me up for it... but I was also a little rushed to pick up the wife so didn't ask for it also... but to answer to chuangyee's point, aren't the shaft still Ping's stock shafts only in different flex? I may be wrong...

Weird.. my fitting experience is..

1) Measurement.... 
2) Hit 7 iron on a impact board.. 
3) Change lie.. change length.. change flex..
4) Once the impact board over, they on flight scope...
5) Hit a few more equipment change...
6) review result.
7) Select the fitting... and try again.
8) confirm your selection. 

They will recommend which one, but ultimately its still your choice which to go for.. and I went with the configuration I hit the furthest.
Back to top Go down
chuangyee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 11:40 pm

bomby wrote:
nremda wrote:

Weird.. my fitting experience is..

1) Measurement.... 
2) Hit 7 iron on a impact board.. 
3) Change lie.. change length.. change flex..
4) Once the impact board over, they on flight scope...
5) Hit a few more equipment change...
6) review result.
7) Select the fitting... and try again.
8) confirm your selection. 

They will recommend which one, but ultimately its still your choice which to go for.. and I went with the configuration I hit the furthest.

Ya same for me. Actually I am not really a Ping supporter also. I tried the Mizuno shaft optimizer too and was quite impressed by it. After swinging the 6 iron they are able to tell you your swing DNA with kick and release timing data and also suggest the right shaft. Quite impressive too.

I guess I am a typical "club Ho."
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 am

Momo333 wrote:
Golfish wrote:

Momo,
My missus is using the yonex fiore iron set and she is very happy with it. I made an appt with the yonex product chief, alaister,  (based in sg) and she tried out the irons and woods at the yonex golf office in kaki bukit. The aircon indoor office is equipped with the simulation gadgets and you can pretty much see your distance, swing path, smash factor, etc. yonex is quite an under rated golf brand. But if you are brand conscious and prefer mainstream, then perhaps it's not for you. Feel free to pm me if you want alaister contact.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Iron Suggestions   Amateur Iron Suggestions - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amateur Iron Suggestions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2