Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wedges.. Spin...

Go down 
+8
shotah
slinger
kinkipet
Technospaz
rocky
DGman
jaketang
sebastianlim
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Just now i tried my friends Cg14 and the 2009 vokey wedge.. realise that the cg14 though its heavier then the vokey wedge. but i seems to hit it better, maybe more feel?.. whereas the vokey i cant hit it.. of 10 chipping shots.. only 1 or 2 is a good one.. ( his vokey wedge is custom to him. maybe not suitable for me) ..

So i would wish to ask what are the wedges that give lots of spin.. at the moment i think the CG14 is good.. but internet review said that CG12 is though older yet is better...

Maybe can get 1 for xmas gift for myself instead of changing my set of irons,,, Very Happy

Oh and also. can someone explain about the Bounce in the wedges? im looking at 52degrees wedge.. thanks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 7:41 pm

since no one reply yet, let me say in the layman n anyhow theory...

1) when u say good shot, wat do u mean? wat kind of shot r u playing? knock down, low n check or the high flop etc....

2) more degree more spin but more difficult to handle... eg 64 degree wedge... so choose one tht suits yr requirement n distance...

3) bounce... something below the face.. wahahaha more suppose to be easier to handle but oso depend on where u wana use it or wat u wana use it... as a PW in fairway? greenside ? or even bunker....

in short, train more and ask DGman for advise...

**i feel i m like tcss lidat... sorry ah... **
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 7:53 pm

lol.. ur layman term also i little dont understand . lol. nvm. its okay..

1) good shot means, i hit liao the feel is very soft.. ball fly high high, then also spin spin in the air.. then hit the ground and jus roll a little more only..

2) "more degree more spin".. so 52 dont hv as much spin as 60? maybe i will get 52 because i have been practising with my " A" which is 52 degree for almost 1 year liao.. just that i gong gong .. dint really know about this kind of spin spin thing.. till recently very enthu thus wanna spin the ball..

3) i think i will use something like chip to the green lo.. not fairway. fairway still can use PW?.. bunker.. i will not get into bunker de. unless i sway sway aim wrong thing. heh..
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:05 pm

layman terms...

when you hit sweet spot, most wedges are soft (not all but most).

when you don't hit the sweet spot, the reason is either the swing or the lie of the club (having the wrong lie means you cannot hit through the sole of the wedge but high on the toe side or low nearer to the heel side. A toe shot promotes a fade and a heel shot promotes a aggravated draw.

you can create more spin by opening the face of the club and also like the thai pros, they use the entire face (and grooves) from the heel part (near to sole) to the toe part nearer to the topline. they normally hit through from an outside in swing path to create more spin. and yes by opening the face you are also creating more loft hence even more spin.

bounce is the sole radius of the club. if you look at the sole of your wedge, you will find that some are more rounded and others more flat. the more rounded ones are higher bounce and the flatter ones are lower bounce. as a guide, you are hitting into a softer ground or fluffy sand, higher bounce will work better but if you are hitting into harder ground or hard/wet sand, lower bounce is usually more effective.

last but not least, you should not buy a club without trying it out. a lot of very well reviewed products are well reviewed because they are paid reviews (as advertisers). so rely on your own judgement and don't buy a club because the salesman or article indicate that its super forgiving and great feel.

just like your friend who may feel that his vokey is the best and the other friend will say that his CG14 is tops......... to each his own.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:14 pm

Great reply from the guru himself.

Btw, DGMan. How come your doggie looks like she's got circles round her eyes? Look like she's wearing sunglasses... Sundogs? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:18 pm

DGman wrote:
layman terms...

when you hit sweet spot, most wedges are soft (not all but most).

when you don't hit the sweet spot, the reason is either the swing or the lie of the club (having the wrong lie means you cannot hit through the sole of the wedge but high on the toe side or low nearer to the heel side. A toe shot promotes a fade and a heel shot promotes a aggravated draw.

you can create more spin by opening the face of the club and also like the thai pros, they use the entire face (and grooves) from the heel part (near to sole) to the toe part nearer to the topline. they normally hit through from an outside in swing path to create more spin. and yes by opening the face you are also creating more loft hence even more spin.

bounce is the sole radius of the club. if you look at the sole of your wedge, you will find that some are more rounded and others more flat. the more rounded ones are higher bounce and the flatter ones are lower bounce. as a guide, you are hitting into a softer ground or fluffy sand, higher bounce will work better but if you are hitting into harder ground or hard/wet sand, lower bounce is usually more effective.

last but not least, you should not buy a club without trying it out. a lot of very well reviewed products are well reviewed because they are paid reviews (as advertisers). so rely on your own judgement and don't buy a club because the salesman or article indicate that its super forgiving and great feel.

just like your friend who may feel that his vokey is the best and the other friend will say that his CG14 is tops......... to each his own.

DGman

thanks for e answer.. fyi.. the vokey that my friend has... is custom by you. haha..
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:19 pm

seems like i can quite BS abit....

answer ard there.... but really layman.. wahahahha
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:19 pm

btw. does any one knows where to try the vokey wedge?.. hard to find 1 which is retail.. as not many of the people whom i know has it..

and cg14 is expensive. i think 100++.. whereas last time Gn sale is only $99 Sad
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:44 pm

My personal take:

I have the CG12, 14, SM Vokey and Callaway X-Forged wedges. I like the CG12s the most. I dislike the CG14s rubber insert... somehow, I can't seem to overcome it. The SM Vokeys are nice. The X-Forged wedges are classic. My 58˚ X-Forged wedge is a beaut cause it's vintage and it's now rusty which I'm liking quite a bit.

For a good review on wedges, check this site out. Hope this helps Smile

As for trying SM Vokeys, come over to one of our Stary2 Night MBGC range sessions. Lots of people there have SM Vokeys Smile
Back to top Go down
kinkipet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:09 pm

If u like e Callaway X forged then u must try e X series JAWS.
I bought e just arrived 56 deg JAWS today at Executive range....I was surprised by e amount of spin, e ball just hop & stop..effortlessly with my so so swing....
Btw, I do own and still using X forged.
The feel is similar to X forged.
I dislike Vokey IMO feel like hitting a pc of wood.
As for CG15, PanWest staffs not sure of arrival but said most likely in 2010.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:10 pm

I was sooo tempted to pick up the Jaws yesterday at PW. The price was $192 IIRC. A little too pricey for me at this stage plus I have fully functioning wedges anyway. Glad to see that they are performing well Wink
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 3:34 pm

vokey the design is the nicest... whereas the cg12 is pretty plain.. but cg15 is going back to the cg12 ..

i still recalll PW got cg12 going for 99... most likely going to try it. if gd.. then try.. but can spin mah?? using Prov1 btw... heh
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 5:59 pm

I think all wedges can generate spin but it depends on how you hit the ball. It's not just the wedge or the ball but the golfer too.
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 7:23 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I think all wedges can generate spin but it depends on how you hit the ball. It's not just the wedge or the ball but the golfer too.

wad about stock "A" , approach club.. from R7 still can spin?

i use it .. i cant even spin despite the fact that using prov1.. ytd i use those very run down prov.. with cg14. still can spin nice nice. heh.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 8:29 pm

driver also can spin, backspin..... there are times ballmarks in front of the ball No
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 10:57 pm

sebastianlim wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

i use it .. i cant even spin despite the fact that using prov1.. ytd i use those very run down prov.. with cg14. still can spin nice nice. heh.

Stock A?

I don't think I follow you. If you can spin with the CG14 wedge, why bother changing clubs? Anyway, wedges are also quite personal. Some people prefer wedges which don't spin too much while others love spin. It all depends on your style of play.

As for me, I'm not proficient enough to make the ball spin on command. I'm more inclined to have the ball stop right now.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 1:43 am

I not sure why you guys like spinning??? I gave up my previous ikasu wedges for TM ones. It looks good on TV but it doesnt help improve your score.
Back to top Go down
ughly
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ughly

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 2:37 am

Technospaz wrote:
sebastianlim wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Stock A?

I don't think I follow you. If you can spin with the CG14 wedge, why bother changing clubs? Anyway, wedges are also quite personal. Some people prefer wedges which don't spin too much while others love spin. It all depends on your style of play.

As for me, I'm not proficient enough to make the ball spin on command. I'm more inclined to have the ball stop right now.

Stock "A" means the Stock approach that comes with the TM R7 set. I used to have that set and i must say that the spin is not quite there.

Currently using nike VR wedges. They create quite alot of spin if you hit it well.
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 7:28 am

shotah wrote:
I not sure why you guys like spinning??? I gave up my previous ikasu wedges for TM ones. It looks good on TV but it doesnt help improve your score.

I Buy. Good Price. Guaranteed satisfaction (at least for me!!! HeeHee)

Cheers, KT
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 7:46 am

Technospaz wrote:
sebastianlim wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Stock A?

i meant that now i got no wedge. except the stock" A" club.. and realise that it cant really spin, thus now looking into wedges. realise that cg14 is pretty good.. can spin haha.

btw. does anyone know how much cg14 was?
Back to top Go down
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 8:19 pm

just a question, how do you know if you ball spinned back on the green or not on the course from where you hit your shot?
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 8:23 pm

sebastianlim wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
sebastianlim wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Stock A?

i meant that now i got no wedge. except the stock" A" club.. and realise that it cant really spin, thus now looking into wedges. realise that cg14 is pretty good.. can spin haha.

You can order from US online store for $220+- including shipping.
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 8:55 pm

pug wrote:
sebastianlim wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
sebastianlim wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Stock A?

You can order from US online store for $220+- including shipping.

scratch thats expensive... last time GN use to sell them for $99..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 10:04 pm

CG14s are good wedges but I prefer the CG12s. I think you can check out Creative Golf to see if you can find CG14s there for a lower price but as you know, this depends on condition of the club. I've managed to get near mint wedges there though so it's worth checking Smile
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 10:07 pm

Technospaz wrote:
CG14s are good wedges but I prefer the CG12s. I think you can check out Creative Golf to see if you can find CG14s there for a lower price but as you know, this depends on condition of the club. I've managed to get near mint wedges there though so it's worth checking Smile

heh thanks..

btw does anyone know if Gn still in business? i know last time is no more taylormade but still got other products?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wedges.. Spin... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges.. Spin...   Wedges.. Spin... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wedges.. Spin...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next