Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best 3 Wedges thus far.....

Go down 
+34
nomic76
DLWL
Gray
Yarra
kamen
nicasio
pocketace
hkhamateur
edtv75
chrislzh
blee67
shamusan
eiji
Derek
angeldogleslie
DGman
NikeN
Vinny
str3ak
pushslice
flashpacker
enwee
Najibapark
Turbo
KCL
chien
haragolfer
renode
rabbit
Hongsqqoo
Cnng121
Technospaz
asahi
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Derek, to check out the sweet spots of some of the common wedges, you may want to head down to the Den. Most of them are near to the hosels; meaning to say one has to almost shank it to hit it sweet! 

BFG wedge, I dare say has the sweet spot more centred.

But I have yet to check out those for MD2 and Ping gorge though....would be interesting to find out.
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 12:30 pm

Fir 2013, my pick would be the Dolphin Wedges from Kasco.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 1:52 pm

I would say that the my best wedges of all time is the TaylorMade RAC Proto.  I have been playing those since 2002/2003.  Of course, they do not make them anymore now.

Close second is the BFG wedge.  Just can't beat the spin and playability of those wedges.  Awesome.  Not meant to be biased, thought.

Third is TM again, the ATVs.  Despite the funny shape and broad sole, it is very playable and it does play to a range of different conditions on the course.
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 1:55 pm

DGman wrote:
The word of customisation has taken a different approach. i learned recently of a company that use third parties to custom ready made OEM irons to such finishes as the JP wedges. so imagine you can have custom finish Mizzy, Titties, Callys, Cobras, Cleves, etc....which ever takes your fancy. it has taken the route of the highly successful custom car business into the golf business.

Strange too that one of our partners came to talk to me about creating a Gold Fish BFG Iron set with a custom pure gold back of a few grams...it will cost a bomb and i hope it will be in time for "Chúc mừng Năm mới".  

Anyone fancy gold...i doubt so here.

DGman

Black is cool, brushed satin is awesome, copper maybe... but gold?  I don't think so.

It will be really cool, however, if we can offer some custom stampings.  Maybe blank head is in order on the next production?  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Yarra wrote:
DGman wrote:
The word of customisation has taken a different approach. i learned recently of a company that use third parties to custom ready made OEM irons to such finishes as the JP wedges. so imagine you can have custom finish Mizzy, Titties, Callys, Cobras, Cleves, etc....which ever takes your fancy. it has taken the route of the highly successful custom car business into the golf business.

Strange too that one of our partners came to talk to me about creating a Gold Fish BFG Iron set with a custom pure gold back of a few grams...it will cost a bomb and i hope it will be in time for "Chúc mừng Năm mới".  

Anyone fancy gold...i doubt so here.

DGman

Black is cool, brushed satin is awesome, copper maybe... but gold?  I don't think so.

It will be really cool, however, if we can offer some custom stampings.  Maybe blank head is in order on the next production?  Twisted Evil

For gold, unless you like Ena, Superman or Honma....
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 5:56 pm

can anyone advise which wedges has the highest bounce?
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 6:21 pm

asahi wrote:
Derek, to check out the sweet spots of some of the common wedges, you may want to head down to the Den. Most of them are near to the hosels; meaning to say one has to almost shank it to hit it sweet! 

BFG wedge, I dare say has the sweet spot more centred.

But I have yet to check out those for MD2 and Ping gorge though....would be interesting to find out.

This has been a point I have been wondering for awhile, ever since DGman posted the Makings of BFG wedges.
Good feeling wedges no doubt.

But,
Why are most of the Wedges with the CG to the hosel?
My assumption is that because it is measured without the shaft, and after fitting extra weight to the hosel area, it will balance out and centre the CG. Just a guess.

BFG wedge due to its lighter weight, helps to finesse the shots better around the green.

Still like the slightly heavier feel of my nikes and vokeys tho.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Gray wrote:
can anyone advise which wedges has the highest bounce?

The maximum bounce I have seen and used before is 14 deg ... Most manufacturers produce wedges of this bounce ...
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Bounce is a friend if you know how to use it...most golfers do not use enough bounce...unless our lies are as tight as those in Australia in the summer, then excess bounce could be a problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
chrislzh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 10:46 am

DGman, will there be any custom stamping for CB003 soon
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 11:00 am

DLWL wrote:

BFG wedge due to its lighter weight, helps to finesse the shots better around the green.

i think its a misconception. 

BFG wedges comes in 2 weights - 3 rings on hosel for regular weight meaning its in the 300+g range and 2 rings is for a lighter wedge meant for junior and ladies which is 10g lighter.

they look the same except for the weight and both are certified by R&A and USGA to be conforming to the rules of golf.

it can be fitted with any shaft from KBS (all range) to steefiber and even light 50g BFG Aerotech graphite. of course some hunks may prefer the DG spinners.

hope it helps.......DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 11:17 am

DGman wrote:
DLWL wrote:

of course some hunks may prefer the DG spinners.

hope it helps.......DGman

but with the DG spinner, it is a winner ah! Backspin till out of green leh.

Anyway, the FST shaft works beautifully as well......
Back to top Go down
nomic76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 9:09 pm

Can a newbie ask a question on wedges pls?

Is it that a skill to make the ball spin backwards or is it with the help of clubs?

Currently using Cally CG 16 (52 and 60 degrees) wedges but never in my 1 year of using have i ever seen any of my ball spinning.

Tried Youtube for help...the action (or rather the angle to hit the ball) seems rather simple but just can never do it.

Can kind gurus share some on this pls?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 10:04 pm

Bro, spin backward is for seasoned players. Just get the ball to hold the green is enough for most of us.

But if u wanna aspire, I'd say the ingredients are: a wedge with clean/fresh/sharp groove, a higher spinning (urethane) ball, adequate club speed and above all else, good impact on your pitches (center hit, ball first then turf).
Back to top Go down
nomic76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 10:09 pm

pushslice wrote:
Bro, spin backward is for seasoned players. Just get the ball to hold the green is enough for most of us.

But if u wanna aspire, I'd say the ingredients are: a wedge with clean/fresh/sharp groove, a higher spinning (urethane) ball, adequate club speed and above all else, good impact on your pitches (center hit, ball first then turf).

Right...agreed...ball holding (maciam billard Stop ball) is itself very useful already.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 2:51 am

heh backspin.. you need to learn from shifu Asahi..

I don't even know what spin my ball will do.. back, front, left right lol.. Smile
It also has a lot to do with the surface of the green try to back spin on downslope landing point err never work for me but maybe that is just my skill is damn lousy.. 

With wedges tried the following, TM, Vokey, and Miura. Currently using Miura still no good at it but neither the other 3.. (it's the indian problem)

time to hit the range again.
Back to top Go down
18underPar
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
18underPar

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 4:19 am

anybody here heard of or tried Hopkins Wedges before?  have only heard good things about these wedges and they offer a wide range of customizable options

http://www.eighteenunderpar.com/hopkins-wedges/

https://www.hopkinsgolf.com/index.php
Back to top Go down
http://www.EighteenUnderPar.com
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 12:11 pm

The only wedge I used that spins the ball Pride wedges but eat up the ball too!
Back to top Go down
HitSoft
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 pm

mack daddy 2 is a great wedge!
Back to top Go down
HitSoft
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 9:13 pm

got the 60 degree S grind from isetan, and they're feeling much softer and giving me much more spin than the vokey wedges i've been using for the past few years!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best 3 Wedges thus far.....
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3