Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?

Go down 
+8
HyBriD
Winston
Duval_S
mox
s-killer
dmateo
golf_snowman
Technospaz
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? Empty
PostSubject: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm curious - how many of you actually play the wedges which came with your irons, i.e. the standard PW, SW etc which match your irons? Or, do you prefer to use standalone wedges like Vokeys, xFTs, Jaws etc?

I use standalone wedges. Not sure why but it's likely psychological. Somehow, I believe that standalone wedges are better.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:24 pm

my set only has PW....the rest i have to buy separately....Sad
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:34 pm

I did used my standard wedges that comes with the iron set on R7 CGB Max. However subsequent set does not come with wedges and I have to mix and match them.
In the end bought some loose wedges to complement the set.
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:38 pm

i am using Callaway Diablo Edge iron set, and i have been using the standard P and S that is part of the sets.

bought a Cleveland CG14 52 degree few months back, thought of replacing my S, but eventually can't handle it and have to shelf it ...

so i am still sticking to my S Smile
Back to top Go down
mox
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mox

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:47 pm

I use the pw and sw that come with the set and add on one or two others, usually a 60 LW and sometimes a 52 GW to fill the gap. but I've realized that i don't really use my 52 because I am more comfortable using the sw or pw and adjusting the swing accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:54 pm

my # 5 to # 9 wedge came fm the same irons set

PW is tity
52 deg = Clevage
56deg = Ping
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Duval, you're the classic legacy golfer. Any club oso can Smile

Me? I rely on fancy branding, marketing fluff and pictures of scantily clad lasses brandishing shiny wedges to get me going.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Quote :
Technospaz wrote:

Me? I rely on fancy branding, marketing fluff and pictures of scantily clad lasses brandishing shiny wedges to get me going.

I will dress appropriately for coming game...to get you in the 'mood'
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
Technospaz wrote:

I will dress appropriately for coming game...to get you in the 'mood'

My name is not Chocoman.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 2:09 pm

I am still using the P & G wedge that came with my set. Hit it really well so no complains. THe only reason I bought a stand alone wedge was a 56* as a sand wedge. I see no reason to pay for it and than put it aside and replace it with something else.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I'm curious - how many of you actually play the wedges which came with your irons, i.e. the standard PW, SW etc which match your irons? Or, do you prefer to use standalone wedges like Vokeys, xFTs, Jaws etc?

I use standalone wedges. Not sure why but it's likely psychological. Somehow, I believe that standalone wedges are better.

In my case, my Pw are stock Pw. Be it Callaway or TM irons.
Which are probably 44deg.

Then my Aw & Sw first came from Cleveland.
Those rusty looking 588 series RTG were a beauty and performs still great.
except now its in my better half golf club of choice.

And then I shifted to Callaway wedges when Roger Cleveland left his company and went to Callaway.
He designed all those great looking Jaws & X Forge MD wedge. Since then, I am a great Cally wedge fan.

Though Fourteen wedge are Great too
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:10 pm

My Mizuno stock iron wedges are sitting shiny... I don't feel comfortable with them. I've been playing loose wedges (CGs, Vokeys etc) for a while and somehow, I feel more confident with them. Not sure why.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:11 pm

Technospaz wrote:
My Mizuno stock iron wedges are sitting shiny... I don't feel comfortable with them. I've been playing loose wedges (CGs, Vokeys etc) for a while and somehow, I feel more confident with them. Not sure why.

You pass to me and I game it for you? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:19 pm

blee2007 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Sure, in exchange for a "rental/gaming" fee of $100 each.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:20 pm

i use the pitching wedge that came with my irons but i use the callaway jaws 52,56 and 60
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:22 pm

shamusan wrote:
i use the pitching wedge that came with my irons but i use the callaway jaws 52,56 and 60

That's fair since your PW is likely to be 44-46.

I use a 48, 52 and 58.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Technospaz wrote:
blee2007 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Free for the lessons given to you? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Technospaz wrote:
shamusan wrote:

I use a 48, 52 and 58.

my pitching wedge is 46 but i have another 2 sets that plays 50, 54, 58 and 50, 55, 60
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm

blee2007 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
blee2007 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Haha... that's emotional blackmail!
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:28 pm

shamusan wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
shamusan wrote:

I use a 48, 52 and 58.

my pitching wedge is 46 but i have another 2 sets that plays 50, 54, 58 and 50, 55, 60

Sham, it is better to ask you which club or combinations you don't have.... White Flag
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Technospaz wrote:
blee2007 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
blee2007 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Haha... that's emotional blackmail!

That's being practical.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:39 pm

blee2007 wrote:
shamusan wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
shamusan wrote:

I use a 48, 52 and 58.

Sham, it is better to ask you which club or combinations you don't have.... White Flag

haha, no lah... depends on how serious the game is lah... cos the gap can be rather large...

i think the best set up would be 50, 55, 60
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:44 pm

is it? would the gap be a bit too large?
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:48 pm

well, i suppose the gap works for me... its all about the distance that you play it to...

my PW is abt 125m carry

50* is abt 115m carry

52* is abt 110m carry

54* is abt 105m carry

56* is abt 100m carry

58* is abt 90m carry

60 is abt 85m carry

so i just gotta make sure that i'm able to play to my distances
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:49 pm

shamusan wrote:
well, i suppose the gap works for me... its all about the distance that you play it to...

my PW is abt 125m carry

50* is abt 115m carry

52* is abt 110m carry

54* is abt 105m carry

56* is abt 100m carry

58* is abt 90m carry

60 is abt 85m carry

so i just gotta make sure that i'm able to play to my distances

affraid your distance from PW to 60 is equal to my 8 irons to S......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?   Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Game the wedges which came with your irons OR use standalone wedges?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next