Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I like my wedges to be .....

Go down 
+8
Suspicious
audi
Technospaz
Underdog
essentiale
eiji
pushslice
goGoffy
12 posters
AuthorMessage
goGoffy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

I like my wedges to be ..... Empty
PostSubject: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Do you like your wedges to be in:
a. satin chrome
b. black / nickel or
c. oil-can

Are there any technical advantage in your choice other than for aesthetic reasons.
I know the common reasons like black/nickel is better than chrome because it cuts down the glare, and oil can is better because of the rust which give more spin.
But how true are these reasons.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Black ni. Looks nicer and feel softer (to me). No discernible difference on performance.

Esp the black ni on sm4 vokeys are very nice, very black. The previous model are more ni than black.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Color is personal choice. I dun believe there's any performance difference between rusted or non rusted wedges.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 12:55 am

White satin as my irons are chrome.. Wish my irons were all satin with kbs c taper shaft to complete full satin look!
Back to top Go down
Underdog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 1:18 am

My wedges are raw (just clean raw, not rusty). I love the way they look when they're raw, but not when they started to get rusty with patina building up, and this is when I need to start cleaning them up again every time. I wish they could stay raw longer but I guess with our weather, it's almost impossible.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 7:38 am

I've tried all 3. I find satin chrome to be traditional, i.e. boring. I like the black nickel look. Oil can is fantastic for the higher lofted wedges like my 58. Gives me good grip when I'm taking my 3rd shot at chugging the darn ball from out of the mud.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 9:47 am

oil-can gives more accuracy in my opinion. satin feels softer than the rest, maybe due to the material also?
Back to top Go down
Suspicious
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Suspicious

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 9:57 am

eiji wrote:
Color is personal choice. I dun believe there's any performance difference between rusted or non rusted wedges.

actually you're right. they performed some scientific study using rusted and non rusted golf clubs and found no significant difference.
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 10:13 am

Suspicious wrote:
eiji wrote:

actually you're right. they performed some scientific study using rusted and non rusted golf clubs and found no significant difference.

Yah, dun get cheated into buying 'performance' enhancing stuff from the poorly informed sales person... personally, i felt the rusted clubs are nice but tends to stain the rest of your iron covers and golf bags.. satin chrome gets scratched marks easily... am looking at changing to black nickel wedges.
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 10:32 am

I'm using a TM RAC 54 with chrome finish at the moment. Really like it. Very forgiving wedge and good feel at setup.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 12:35 pm

I prefer the Raw or Rusty look, It looks better for me. Soins better accdg to Lab Test
and GolfSmith

Q: Are there performance differences between the types of wedge finishes?
A: The finish on most wedges is simply cosmetic and offers you the opportunity to find the one that appeals to your eye at setup. Raw tour grind (RTG) wedges will rust over time and will impart slightly more spin on the ball.

source page
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Gi: Are there any performance differences between finishes, for example, Tour Chrome and Oil Can, Black Nickel – or the raw finish so popular on tour?

BV: I’ve done a lot of tests and I believe that any performance difference is negligible. It’s all down to personal feel and there are wide variations in preference, but some players swear that the raw rusty finish has better feel and also spins more. Some players actually use both Tour Chrome and raw wedges – like Ross Fisher, his 48° and 54° are plated but his 60° is raw!

by Bob Vokey

source page
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
shawnyswsg
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 1:59 pm

old school satin chrome still works for me... oil can looks like its really old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I like my wedges to be .....   I like my wedges to be ..... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I like my wedges to be .....
Page 1 of 1