Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best 3 Wedges thus far.....

Go down 
+34
nomic76
DLWL
Gray
Yarra
kamen
nicasio
pocketace
hkhamateur
edtv75
chrislzh
blee67
shamusan
eiji
Derek
angeldogleslie
DGman
NikeN
Vinny
str3ak
pushslice
flashpacker
enwee
Najibapark
Turbo
KCL
chien
haragolfer
renode
rabbit
Hongsqqoo
Cnng121
Technospaz
asahi
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 9:41 am

Technospaz wrote:
NikeN wrote:
Nike VR Pro Nike Golf 

Ken, they could put the nike logo on a plastic spade and you'd buy it Smile

But, that said, I just picked up a new Nike bag... love it Smile

Sounds true lol!
But, the VR Pro wedge seriously give very good spin. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 10:03 am

NikeN wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
NikeN wrote:
Nike VR Pro Nike Golf 

Ken, they could put the nike logo on a plastic spade and you'd buy it Smile

But, that said, I just picked up a new Nike bag... love it Smile

Sounds true lol!
But, the VR Pro wedge seriously give very good spin. Very Happy
Spin?? u should the fishy.....it's totally ridiculous spin at times...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 10:07 am

I agree with enwee... there are times, I think the fishy wedges are too good to be true.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 10:23 am

i am surprised that BFG wedges is up there. although from a fitting perspective, we do have a healthy no of users out there and they continue to tell me how it feels and plays.

we had a tour professional from Malaysia last week who spend 2 days with us. he is sponsored by a major brand but could not find a wedge in the entire set up that will play and feel the way he likes it. he tried one of the top pro wedges and fall in love. so i spent a bit of time grinding the fishy wedges to the look that he wants plus the bounce that he likes to play his flop shot. in the end, he is one happy camper.

Shabaan Hussain introduce him to our wedges and he is our biggest supporter in Malaysia playing the fishy wedges from friday to sunday. 

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
angeldogleslie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angeldogleslie

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 10:49 am

Personal Favourites

1. Fish Wedge (yesterday saw my flightmate backspin-ed a 30c cheap ball with his new wedge at horizon hills)

2. Mizuno MpT12
3. Cally MD (luv Asahi's U-grind)

ps - Eric, Alvin "lub his new wedge dip dip!" Smile
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 10:50 am

pushslice wrote:
How were they better for you bro? Less miss hit? More spin? Better distance control? Bunker performance?

PS, 

For me, it is the spin aka checking up of the balls. With previous wedges, I have not been able to hold green. Ball just run on and on....

With the BFG wedges, this is no longer an issue. The technology in those killer wedges just seem to be able to produce such crazy spin and help my approach to check enough. But point to note though, need to aim for pin now else danger of spinning out of the green is real!!!!

As for the other 2 wedges mentioned, the spin, checking up etc are there as well. Hence mentioned here in this thread. However, I would prefer the BFG wedge for the softness it produces on impact.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 11:03 am

For me, top of my list by far would have to be my BFG wedges, I am not sure if it is the design of the club, the shaft or my confidence, but I am hitting my chips closer and no longer have the occasional "hosel" sweet spot shit.  On full swings, there is a noticeable difference with the x1 compared to other approach wedges I have used, in terms of forgiveness.  Even when the shot felt a bit strange, it still ended up roughly where I wanted it.  Also, I seem to be getting more good shots which go the correct distance and on good shots, the dispersion (distance wise) is tighter than with other wedges I have used. 

1.  BFG Wedges (x5 and x1) - it even works left handed! Razz

2.  Miura Wedges (56deg and 50deg) - Perfect when hit off the sweet spot, but relatively unforgiving, however my sole eagle to date was a pitch in from 45m with my Miura 50deg, so it will always have a soft spot in my heart.

3.  Daiwa Wedges (56deg and 52deg) - Relatively unknown, leading edge is curved not square, don't feel as soft as other wedges, but can't argue with the performance in terms of scores.

That being said, I have not played with that many wedges on the golf course, so my assessment is very limited. I have not even tried popular wedges like Titleist on the course.

Testing wedges on range mats is a waste of time for me because the very nature of a wedge means:

a)  Accuracy is crucial, especially distance control
b)  Many shots played with partial swings
c)  How the club interacts with the turf is crucial

And I don't have the skill level to access all this when hitting off a driving range mat.

Parting note, it wasn't an instant love affair or "magic bullet" with my BFG wedges.  Some great shots, but still the same bad shots initially.  It took time and practice (especially off the grass at a short game area and during golf rounds) to learn how to use them properly.

Also, not sure if it is just my lousy technique, but the swing I use on my BFG wedges does not to produce the same results with my miura wedges.

So given that we all swing slightly differently, I guess it is not so much a case of what is the "Best" wedge out there, but more a case of what is the "best wedge for me", and then spending enough time practicing with them to get some consistency.

Have fun searching guys!
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 11:14 am

Derek wrote:
For me, top of my list by far would have to be my BFG wedges, I am not sure if it is the design of the club, the shaft or my confidence, but I am hitting my chips closer and no longer have the occasional "hosel" sweet spot shit.  On full swings, there is a noticeable difference with the x1 compared to other approach wedges I have used, in terms of forgiveness.  Even when the shot felt a bit strange, it still ended up roughly where I wanted it.  Also, I seem to be getting more good shots which go the correct distance and on good shots, the dispersion (distance wise) is tighter than with other wedges I have used. 

1.  BFG Wedges (x5 and x1) - it even works left handed! Razz

2.  Miura Wedges (56deg and 50deg) - Perfect when hit off the sweet spot, but relatively unforgiving, however my sole eagle to date was a pitch in from 45m with my Miura 50deg, so it will always have a soft spot in my heart.

3.  Daiwa Wedges (56deg and 52deg) - Relatively unknown, leading edge is curved not square, don't feel as soft as other wedges, but can't argue with the performance in terms of scores.

That being said, I have not played with that many wedges on the golf course, so my assessment is very limited. I have not even tried popular wedges like Titleist on the course.

Testing wedges on range mats is a waste of time for me because the very nature of a wedge means:

a)  Accuracy is crucial, especially distance control
b)  Many shots played with partial swings
c)  How the club interacts with the turf is crucial

And I don't have the skill level to access all this when hitting off a driving range mat.

Parting note, it wasn't an instant love affair or "magic bullet" with my BFG wedges.  Some great shots, but still the same bad shots initially.  It took time and practice (especially off the grass at a short game area and during golf rounds) to learn how to use them properly.

Also, not sure if it is just my lousy technique, but the swing I use on my BFG wedges does not to produce the same results with my miura wedges.

So given that we all swing slightly differently, I guess it is not so much a case of what is the "Best" wedge out there, but more a case of what is the "best wedge for me", and then spending enough time practicing with them to get some consistency.

Have fun searching guys!
For a golfer who flip his wedge over to play left handed can work with any kind changkol or toothpick.........lol!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:08 pm

1. Hand Wedge
2. Foot Wedge
3. Back of my Golo Putter
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:09 pm

eiji wrote:
1. Hand Wedge
2. Foot Wedge
3. Putter disguised as a wedge

You forgot potato wedge.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:23 pm

1. yonex wedges
2. s yard bold
3. titleist sm4
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:39 pm

eiji wrote:
1. Hand Wedge
2. Foot Wedge

Can you show me how you use these wedges on Sunday?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:43 pm

blee wrote:
eiji wrote:
1. Hand Wedge
2. Foot Wedge

If you allow, he'd be more than happy to use his hand wedge and score some birds along the way...

Razz
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 3:00 pm

blee wrote:
eiji wrote:
1. Hand Wedge
2. Foot Wedge

This sunday? I can't play. i have limited play time these days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 3:12 pm

eiji wrote:
blee wrote:
eiji wrote:
1. Hand Wedge
2. Foot Wedge

This sunday? I can't play. i have limited play time these days.

Aiya.....
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 3:14 pm

asahi wrote:
blee wrote:
eiji wrote:
1. Hand Wedge
2. Foot Wedge

If you allow, he'd be more than happy to use his hand wedge and score some birds along the way...

Razz

Talk so much, when are we having a game ah?
Back to top Go down
chrislzh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:10 pm

For me, it will be Miura K wedges.
Back to top Go down
edtv75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 12:37 am

Vokey...vokey and vokey...
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:12 am

Er...pretty subjective topic. Rolling Eyes
Bcoz we dun use every brands n only game w wat we ve owned b4, hence its just an opinion. Cool
As fr myself, was force to explored to those diff loft wedges last 2-3 years ago. (Bcoz when i started golf, hve basic set tat comes w SW till upgraded to Titleist 735 & onwards tat hve clubs till PW only) Wink 
Tried, TM RAC, CG-12-13, PING TOUR-S, Vokey & current Miura only. scratch
Vokey gave me the better feel than those i ve tried. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:26 am

I think wedges are just as personal and 'feel-ly'to the user just like a putter.

No right wedges from person A to person B. 
Simply down to own self.

But having tried a wide array of wedges from high end models like Vokey/Miura to mass market ones like TM, I am definitely going to stick with the BFG fishy wedges and MD2 for the feel, performance and look factors.

On Green
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 am

BTW, for fans of Bob Vokey, he is not getting any younger

Titleist has just recruited James Patrick
http://www.mygolfspy.com/james-patrick-jp-wedges-titleist/

His works are really cool looking

Vokey will remain the main man for now until he decides to call it a day.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:48 am

Agree! His wedge designs look funky and pyschedelic ... I would classify it as New Age of wedges ... I like it as it give me a fresh breathe of air! I like ... 

Kudos to Acushnet for bringing in new blood in the form of James Patrick to continue the legacy ... Titleist

Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 Jp-titleist

Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 Jpwedges
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 10:00 am

Pulled the info below from mygolfspy

------------------------------------------------------------------
Harrington set out on a journey to design and create his own line of custom wedges establishing a home base in Minneapolis.  His mission was simple, to create the finest forged wedges in the game.  In January, 2010, the first JP branded wedge hit the grind wheel and JP Wedges were born.  Harrington begins with what he describes as “the finest forgings in the world” from the Kyoei Forging House in Ichikawa, Japan.  The JP Kyoei wedge blanks arrive heavy which provide the perfect canvas for Harrington to create a custom wedge tailored to the individual customer as a functional piece of art.

In an effort to maximize versatility around the greens, Harrington grinds a significant amount of steel from the heel and toe area’s of the wedge.  JP Wedges incorporate a “thinned out” hosel as well to penetrate thick rough and heavy sand.  To compensate for the loss of head weight as a result of the aggressive grind, Harrington inlays tungsten into the toe area of the wedge.  This process gets the wedge to the desired weight while moving the CG toward the center of the club-face which also reduces vibration.

Other wedge companies manufacture their heads with the center of gravity located toward the heel which Harrington believes is less than optimal.  This process (moving the CG toward the center of the club-face) yields a perfectly balanced wedge with the most efficient energy transfer into the ball at impact for more consistent shotmaking.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder which other wedges have the CG more toward the center of the club-face ...
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 10:47 am

The word of customisation has taken a different approach. i learned recently of a company that use third parties to custom ready made OEM irons to such finishes as the JP wedges. so imagine you can have custom finish Mizzy, Titties, Callys, Cobras, Cleves, etc....which ever takes your fancy. it has taken the route of the highly successful custom car business into the golf business.

Strange too that one of our partners came to talk to me about creating a Gold Fish BFG Iron set with a custom pure gold back of a few grams...it will cost a bomb and i hope it will be in time for "Chúc mừng Năm mới".  

Anyone fancy gold...i doubt so here.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
nicasio
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 am

I would prefer a bling bling Fish then....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best 3 Wedges thus far.....   Best 3 Wedges thus far..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best 3 Wedges thus far.....
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next