Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking to change irons set ...

Go down 
+10
CityTypeZ
Afat
Turbo
abadan
Derek
dmateo
pushslice
joshyo
jeffman88
kennyky
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kennyky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Looking to change irons set ... Empty
PostSubject: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi Guys !

Its been awhile since the last time i posted on the forum ! but i have been keeping reading you guys :p
I was wondering if you could help me : I'd like to change my irons !
Ok, i started golf something like one year and half ago in Singapore (Im french :p) ! Then i went back to France took more lessons there, played much more there as well, took the equivalent of the PC in France (called Green card :p)! then i have returned to singapore almost 2 months ago.
Before i came to Singapore i used to go on range quite often 2/3 times a week, and played once a week par 30 9 holes. My lowest score on that course was 40. and average around 50.
I have my index in France, but its different than in Singapore, you have to play competition to lower it. And i have never played in competition yet (mainly because i don't feel comfortable with the driver or fw yet). And european index is different a little than USGA index...
About me im 24, 1.74 m, 76 kg. My swing i think is quite fast. I use to hit quite well back in France but since i came back in singapore i lost a bit of my game (i didnt play the first month i was here - my latest shots were pushing, then slicing, now better :p lost my rhythm and tempo) but its getting back in shape.
Carry distance for my 7 iron is between 140 -155 meters. (depending on my shape Wink )
Right now im playing a Jack Nicklaus set (Golden bear claw set). The shafts are graphite.

why i wanna change my irons ? i feel like its time for me to invest in my golf. I really love the game - kinda addicted - and want to perform in the game. I am not afraid of spending time training since its what i like. I wanna get in the real stuff :p

Actually right now, i don't know if i should go for Steel shafts or Graphite shafts. People in stores by seeing me advised me to go for steel shafts. what do you guys think about that ?

Irons wise, i have been hesitating between these sets:
  1. cobra AMP (not forged :p)
  2. callaway X black
  3. mizuno jpx 825 pro
  4. titleist AP1

I was considering as well Mizuno MPs... but i dont know if its reasonnable, as i dont know f it would be to hard or not.
For Mizuno JPX825 pro and titleist ap1 : i choose these 2 as i am looking for irons that will follow me in my learning/performance curve.
(Thats why i may not consider Mizuno jpx 825...)
For callaway, they will release next month their new set of irons : Callaway X hot set ! Maybe i should wait ... no ??

I am not looking for Super game improvement irons as i feel like they will go against improving my games, so either players irons (like mp59) or game improvement irons.

So what do you think guys ?

oh also, question about fitting.... i would like if its advisable to go for a fitting session for the new set of irons i will get.
i think it could be advisable from everything i have read so far.
In singapore, i dont know where you can do fitting on cobra or titleist or mizuno or callaway ... Is there a shop that do fitting for different brands?
seems like there is only clubmakers. (no offense to them though)

So guys can you help me on that please ?
club wise, fitting wise...

Thanks a lot !

Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi bro
there is a sticky on this page which keeps an updated list of fitters here in Singapore. Suggest u call them up to hv a chat first and see which of them best suits your needs and go down and hv a feel and look around. They are all a very friendly bunch and am sure they will definitely give u lots of help in getting a set of irons that suits u. Hv fun!

Sry forget to add the link which is here: http://www.golfrepublic.org/t20348-useful-addresses-info-of-pro-shops-fitters
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Hey there Kenny. First of all, welcome to GR!

Seems like u play pretty well from the way it sounds.

To me, i think AP2 (not AP1) and jpx825 pro would be on a similar level as they are both forged and suit someone who already has his swing more or less sorted out and doesn't need much help launching the ball. Whereas, the AP1 and jpx 825 would be more on the same page, both cast steel, with hotter face and lower CG.

Im currently using a set of MP58s and honestly i feel that i should have gone for the jpx 800pro category instead of jumping to an MP set. Not very forgiving. U can try mizuno irons mostly at golf house. The one at paragon should do i guess. If u want to try titleist stuff. check out their demo days at different days at different ranges.

As for the shaft, if u want to feel more comfortable with ur irons. Seeing a fitter would be a good choice. Only then will u be able to test the wide range of steel / graphite / steelfiber shafts. Just came from a fitter (BFG) this noon. Eric (the owner) has let me take home a i80 steelfiber to try on my 7iron. Gonna test it on on the range and greens next week. Not sure if this is the only place that lets u "test drive" a shaft before u actually decide to purchase it but i think its all good. There are other fitters, i dare say, sanctioned by this forum. So take some time. I guess more good than harm would come out of it. Can't say the same for ur wallet tho. Very Happy

Ps: they do carry their own brand (BFG) of irons as well that have seen some convert from other brands. Might as well give it a shot while ur there. Very detailed and helpful.
The address is 1003 Bukit Merah Central #03- #03-11, S(159835) tel: 64712272 (incase u need it)

Cheers mate. Happy golfing.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 12:05 am

If you want/prefer the four brands cobra, cally, mizzy and titleist, golf house is the place to try.

Note I say Try, not be fitted as GH's fitting program are very basic. At least they might have a launch monitor and a fitting cart with shaft options. You can do some trial and error. Static measurements such as wrist to floor and grip size can be done with most top brands fitting guide. I'd call the outlet ahead to confirm availability of fitting cart. Maybe suntec or paragon. Finally, i suggest to buy a forged irons so you may fine tune loft, lie with a fitter of your choice, if required.

For ap1, Ask in Titleist SEA thread for when they have demo days. A fitting recommendation may be offered there. Do a bit leg work for your dream clubs Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 12:13 am

try all the club you can get.. you'll never know you might get hook on them. Smile At least you won't regret spending the $$ as you've tried your best.

There are many club fitter on this forum. BFG is one of them which you should've heard
Back to top Go down
kennyky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Thank you all guys ! Smile

And i play ok ! not pretty well as joshyo thinks :p

About the fitting, i dont quite understand how it works in Singapore - maybe its just me who is dumb :p
From my french friends pas experience, they bought their new sets at the same lace as they did their fitting (with static/dynamic fitting and cart and so on..)

in singapore, i have to buy my set - if i go for mizu titlest or cally - somewhere (golfhouse :p ) and then go to a fitter like BFG ? (and yes i have heard of BFG Wink )

And true i should try them, but im not confident entering into a shop just to try ... i already feel the pressure of the shop as soon as i get in one :p and then during the try out it would be worse than being observed at the golf course ! shy golfer hahaha
But i guess its gonna be the same when i will pay visit to the fitter Wink

though, do u any pointers for me on clube wise ?
On how i play (and how i describe it :p), should i go with a serie like cobra amp/cally x black/mizu jpx 825/titlest AP1 (dont know on which categorie should i put them...) or a serie like tilest AP2/jpx 825 pro/cobra amp forged?
m not sure if my categories are well done... :p

as you can see, im very lost hahaha

I m dropping the mp choice but add the jpx 'normal' choice and amp forged :p :p

Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Just walk in like u own the place but just don't act like a douche should b fine. Haha! U can also request to have some privacy I'm sure they understand. I think the Ap2 / jpx825 pro should fit u. Just go try. Even an ok player should be able to use the forged heads of those clubs. Just a little getting used to. Should be more forgiving than an mp set. Try and then let us know.

Altho I'm not looking to change clubs I can't help but feel I want to try out the jpx825pros. I got burned by the AP2 set when I tried it a year back. Scares of those clubs now heh.
Back to top Go down
kennyky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Hahaha ok ok ! i will do that Wink
I have to wait for the jpx825 to be in store in sg though ...

I just cant wait to change mi irons set !! :p

but new stuff are coming in one or 2 months (cally x hot /pro , ping G25 ...)
Maybe i should consider changing in early feb ... but i have to look from now hahaha

what do you mean by burned by the ap2 ? :p
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi Kenny,

Firstly, relax, all golfers struggle with their games. Only thing is that for the good golfers, their bad shots are not that obvious.

Secondly, most golfers are bad golfers. Single handicap golfers make up less than 4% of golfers that maintain a handicap. If you add the social players and beginners that do not maintain a handicap, the proportion is even smaller.

So don't walk into a golf shop thinking you need to swing like a pro, the vast majority of revenue from iron set sales are from new/beginning golfers and mid/high handicap experience players, not low single handicap golfers. You'll be like most people the guys in the golf shop see. Just ask nicely and try whatever you like.

Nothing beats trying the club (and I hope that after 1.5 years you have figured out whether you are striking the golf ball first or the range mat first) and my personal advice is to choose the club with which it feels the easiest to get decent contact consistently if you want to score better.

I am not familiar with the iron set you are currently playing with, but if you want honest feedback and advice, drop by BFG. I respect Eric (DGman in this forum) because he really wants to help you improve your game, even if it means no revenue for him (in the short run LOL!). For all you know, a simple shaft change might do the trick ...

Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 4:02 pm

kennyky wrote:
but new stuff are coming in one or 2 months (cally x hot /pro , ping G25 ...)
Maybe i should consider changing in early feb ... but i have to look from now hahaha

what do you mean by burned by the ap2 ? :p

I swung like a noob and embarrassed myself lol. Should have stuck to AP1s instead of being so backside itchy. U will get what i mean when u try other irons. lol.

I agree with what Derek is saying ^ the BFG irons are pretty good and decently priced.
Back to top Go down
kennyky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Derek wrote:
Hi Kenny,

Firstly, relax, all golfers struggle with their games. Only thing is that for the good golfers, their bad shots are not that obvious.

Secondly, most golfers are bad golfers. Single handicap golfers make up less than 4% of golfers that maintain a handicap. If you add the social players and beginners that do not maintain a handicap, the proportion is even smaller.

So don't walk into a golf shop thinking you need to swing like a pro, the vast majority of revenue from iron set sales are from new/beginning golfers and mid/high handicap experience players, not low single handicap golfers. You'll be like most people the guys in the golf shop see. Just ask nicely and try whatever you like.

Nothing beats trying the club (and I hope that after 1.5 years you have figured out whether you are striking the golf ball first or the range mat first) and my personal advice is to choose the club with which it feels the easiest to get decent contact consistently if you want to score better.

thanks man, it brings me back some confidence ! Swing
My divots are usually in front of the ball so i guess i hit the ball first (or i have the feeling thats what i do..) . i might be wrong :p
Sure, i have to do some try outs! Smile)

Derek wrote:

I am not familiar with the iron set you are currently playing with, but if you want honest feedback and advice, drop by BFG. I respect Eric (DGman in this forum) because he really wants to help you improve your game, even if it means no revenue for him (in the short run LOL!). For all you know, a simple shaft change might do the trick ...

joshyo wrote:

I agree with what Derek is saying ^ the BFG irons are pretty good and decently priced.

nice ! for sure i have to go pay a vist to BFG. Seems like DGman is BIG in Singapore Smile

I think i know what i have to do now ! go try some irons at a retail shop/demo days. Contact some fitters like BFG around. get to know how it works (if i have to buy my set with them and then getfit by then or do everything with them). and then enjoy my new toys Smile))

Thanks guys !!

hopefully i will find what is good for me ;p
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 3:49 pm

Shy golfer syndrome? No worries bro! The salesmen have seen all sortsa swings and misses. besides... you're not looking for their top of the line Muscle backs. u're looking for game improving clubs. Most of the sales people play and usually quite helpful. So dun be intimidated. If u're friendly and humble, i'm sure they'll be nice to u too Smile

Anyone can recommend u what they feel is good ( for them), but might not be good for u. U really have to try them out for yourself. Smile

So far i've been to golf house and taylormade to try out their fitting carts. honestly not much shaft options. If u're lucky, they have wat u want. if not, u'd have to order them in from the states which might take awhile. Correct me if i'm wrong about this guys..

I would first go to a fitter and try out diff shaft options. see which fits u best. graphite or steel or even steel fiber. then try with diff heads. cavity, muscle cavity or u might be even surprised u may even hit muscle backs better. Wink I think a very honest way to test this is to NOT look/inspect the clubs b4 hitting. go purely by what feels best and produces the best results. Looks should really be secondary.

Then go hunting for the specific models u want. at least by then, u'd know what sorta grip size, lie angles, shafts and length u want.

good luck bro.

Back to top Go down
kennyky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks Abadan !

Ill try to bring the niceness of the salesmen of golfhouse soon :p

I guess i will have to find a better fitter than the ones with limited choice in golfhouse or TM.

oh tahts a different approach i didnt think of.
I thought the ultimte fitting would be to go choose the heads and then the shaft from the session. didnt know you can find the shaft without the heads.
I thought that the shafts depend of the heads a bit .... not only my swing and etc

Thats changing the way i will have to shop then ....

Except Ping, there are no Mizuno DNA fitting cart or Titleist one or others?
I guess finding from the fitting cart with the set doesnt make me end up with stock shaft i would know what to do with (and save money :p)
Back to top Go down
kennyky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi guys !

Merry xmas !

i demoed the Ap1 and AP2 in MBGC before xmas !

I felt better playing the AP2 but owing to the rep he would advise me the AP1.
i preferred the feel of AP2s. The flight was quite the same. the AP1 had a ittle bit more of forgiveness but i dont know i dig for the AP2s :p

Anyway, im starting the demo time ! :p
Now i am looking to try the MP59s .... :p getting more ambitious on the game ....
I am waiting to see the jpx 825 pro on the shelf as well .... :p
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 11:43 pm

Kenny,

I would suggest you goto GH to try up some of the Mizuno models ... If you manage to hit the Mizuno irons sweet, you would have a "butter feel" ... Very good irons albeit pricier than its American counterparts ...

While u are there, u should also try Cobra AMP forged and the TM Rocketbladz irons ...

Since it is free to try ... take your time to decide so as to minimize making the wrong decision ... Good luck and Happy New Year!!

cheers
Back to top Go down
kennyky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 10:25 pm

Ok i made my choice !
I didnt re-demo the AP2s , but i did try the JPX 825 pro 7 iron and MP59 6 iron and MP53 6 iron, on an indoor mat. Without flight monitor though...
The JPX pro was good, easy to shoot, they look nice, but the offset is so so.
The MP53 was very nice. No buts.
But, I think i am going with the MP59s ! i hit solidly the iron, the feel was nice. I hit purposely also on the toe, the feedback was interesting ! The weight was a bit better for me, heavier than the MP53s.
I could not try it fully the irons because the salesman did not have a set for testing and the irons was still in plastic. He just put some tap on the iron ...

The other main reason im going with the MP59s is that they are having a good deal in GH ! The 4-PW set on NS Pro 950 R shafts are for 799SGD (dunno if i can tell the price ...) with a trade-in promotion (i am trading my beginner set, my current gamer.., 7 clubs trade-in) !

I believe it is a good deal, and i felt good with them, from address to hitting them !

I am sure they are less forgiving than the AP2s, but I feel like i am going to have fun with them ! (assuming some work on the range first )

I am going to get them tomorrow, the shop reserved them for me. They opened a new box of clubs especially for me, the new box was going to be sent to the warehouse ! i was lucky !

Unless you give me a no-go, i will get them tomorrow ! :p

thanks again guys, sorry to disappoint if the price came in the equation even though honestly i did not put much thoughts at beginning !

(and for the shafts, they seems ok, but i will get fitted later anyway, to adjust lies etc and to be sure !)
Back to top Go down
Afat
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Congrats, welcome to Mizzy's club
Back to top Go down
CityTypeZ
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
CityTypeZ

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Gh gives free fitting for mizuno?
Back to top Go down
Afat
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 11:06 pm

CityTypeZ wrote:
Gh gives free fitting for mizuno?

I think if you spend above certain amount ($>1k?), free fitting will be provided
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Congrats Kenny! Great choice! mizuno produces one of the best feeling forged irons. Who'd have known that you would hit the best with a muscle cavity club as opposed to a full cavity, game improving club ay?

I would highly recommend guys who wanna changed their clubs, to go try them out for themselves rather than asking for recommendations.

P.s. Kenny, golf house can do lie adjustments for you If I'm not wrong. A buddy of mine got them to adjust his lie angle and grip size.

Good luck with ur new sticks. Smile
Back to top Go down
hammy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
hammy

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 am

kennyky wrote:
Ok i made my choice !
I didnt re-demo the AP2s , but i did try the JPX 825 pro 7 iron and MP59 6 iron and MP53 6 iron, on an indoor mat. Without flight monitor though...
The JPX pro was good, easy to shoot, they look nice, but the offset is so so.
The MP53 was very nice. No buts.
But, I think i am going with the MP59s ! i hit solidly the iron, the feel was nice. I hit purposely also on the toe, the feedback was interesting ! The weight was a bit better for me, heavier than the MP53s.
I could not try it fully the irons because the salesman did not have a set for testing and the irons was still in plastic. He just put some tap on the iron ...

The other main reason im going with the MP59s is that they are having a good deal in GH ! The 4-PW set on NS Pro 950 R shafts are for 799SGD (dunno if i can tell the price ...) with a trade-in promotion (i am trading my beginner set, my current gamer.., 7 clubs trade-in) !

I believe it is a good deal, and i felt good with them, from address to hitting them !

I am sure they are less forgiving than the AP2s, but I feel like i am going to have fun with them ! (assuming some work on the range first )

I am going to get them tomorrow, the shop reserved them for me. They opened a new box of clubs especially for me, the new box was going to be sent to the warehouse ! i was lucky !

Unless you give me a no-go, i will get them tomorrow ! :p

thanks again guys, sorry to disappoint if the price came in the equation even though honestly i did not put much thoughts at beginning !

(and for the shafts, they seems ok, but i will get fitted later anyway, to adjust lies etc and to be sure !)

MP59s are a great choice. I have the 58s. Can't go wrong with Mizuno.
Back to top Go down
WY
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 12:25 am

What is the price of the mp59 before trade in? 799 as per the opening post?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 am

I must say I am surprised that the mp-59s were the ones that you got the best results with. You must be a better ball striker than you let on.

Enjoy your new clubs!
Back to top Go down
kennyky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am

Yes ! you would have bet i would be going with MP59s :p i think i might struggle at the beginning, and may push a little, but thats manageable ! :p I just have to get back on the good rythm and tempo ! (i guess so... :p)

And i am not such a good ball stricker, i used to be a decent one as i used to train a lot with my irons and played a lot in France on a 9-holes courses where drivers and fairway woods are useless (i suck with these two types of clubs though).

Oh i didnt know GH could do a fitting, and not sure they will do it to me for free ... I did see any specific materials to do it in the GH outlet..
A complete fitting for my irons seems a good choice! I may pay a visit to DGman as everybody recommends him ! Fitting is still a mistery for me !

Thanks a lot guys for ur help !

Im so looking forward to play with my new sticks !

WY wrote:
What is the price of the mp59 before trade in? 799 as per the opening post?
yes 799 with NSpro, with project X shaft i dont know as the outlet i am going does not have the project x ones
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm

They have fitting equipment at the suntec outlet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking to change irons set ...   Looking to change irons set ... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking to change irons set ...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next