Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Change shaft?or change irons?

Go down 
+6
Duval_S
sandkie
Batman
ttkm
TourSwing
vjian
10 posters
AuthorMessage
vjian
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
vjian

Change shaft?or change irons? Empty
PostSubject: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi guys,i am new to golf and still working hard to get lower score.I bought a set of TM R9 irons with Motore 60 graphite shaft when i am started.i havent tried before buying it and it was recommended by my uncle who work in the golf shop.used it for about 5 months, and now the problem show up.at first i feel that irons was really forgiving and very easy to hit the sweet spot (that time i am still started golf for 2 months) and now,since i go through some lesson and work so hard with practicing at range for about everyday.this iron/shaft seems started giving me some problem,i always hit it slice and i feel when the moment i downswing it,the flex of graphite drag away my power,its too soft.its happen on the course as well.i never try others iron before because i think that was my swing problem until...yesterday.i tried my dad's irons,callaway razr irons with N.s. PRO 950Gh steel shaft.OMG...i hit it for about 20 balls with 7 irons,balls land 125-130 meter with a beautiful straight line.and i found that the ball fly lower( with my current iron,i manage to get that distance but many of them sliced and every ball flying high) and i hit the ball much more solid.after that i try his driver razr as well (with my TM 08 Burner ,i get about 200-210 meters buti blow it most of the time Mad my driver was r shaft ,forget the shaft name but it was the original shaft come with the driver)with my dad's driver razr hawk with SR shaft,same 20 balls,i hit it straight 19/20,but cost me some distance about 10-15 meters.started 5 months, my best score was 113 Mad but still improving la Wink,serious golfer. my questions now is should i change the shaft or the entire set.can someone gv me some rough idea about the shaft type and irons design .and please gv me some comment about these equipment-AP1 titleist irons,MP53 mizuno irons and 910d2/d3 titleist driver.Thanks a lot everyone.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 4:03 pm

See a clubfitter asap!

Www.bigfishes.com
Back to top Go down
ttkm
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 4:17 pm

From what I understand , MP53 are for the mid to low handicap players. Go to mizuno official website to see which irons are for what type of handicap players.
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Time to change shaft
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Since your dad set seems to be working, maybe can consider borrowing from him first?
Back to top Go down
vjian
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
vjian

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:16 pm

tourswing:yeah!y i cant think about tat..lolx..thanks for reminding...
ttkm:been to...if i changing for mizuno..think that jpx is suit for me...
batman:any recommendation?
sandkie:i afraid its not possible since most of the time i on course with my dad together...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:00 am

I think kill 2 birds with one stone....

that is to change the irons which will result in the shaft change.
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:33 am

Project X is good stuff... (at least for me)
of course, like most will say, the best is still to see a club fitter to be accurate. for me, i am taking the trial and error route. so u decide my friend Smile

Last edited by Batman on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 am

Isn't that spending a little too much moola for something not completely mastered yet?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:51 am

in this case, its always weighting golfing aspirations versus equipment suitability. its not difficult once you give yourself a clear assessment.

1. why do you play golf?
2. what are your aspiration for golf now, 6 months time and 2 years from now?
3. will your game improve with your current equipment for the next 6 months? if not how much will it hinder your growth in the game.

i believe the choice is clear and my advice is always the same...do not throw good money after bad choices.

from a clubfitting perspective...the total weight of the club is not suitable for the golfer and the lack of weight creates a sense of insecurity leading to wider dispersion and lack of distance. its best you get a club fitter to look at your swing to and try a few shaft options to get a better perspective of point 2 above.

DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:53 am

Newtogolf wrote:
Isn't that spending a little too much moola for something not completely mastered yet?

On the other hand, if he continues playing with the current ill-fitting clubs, he will never master it.

Subsequently, he will need to spend even more money, not to mention time, correcting the flaws caused by them.
Back to top Go down
gadgetbearFN2R
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
gadgetbearFN2R

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 1:34 pm

Hey vjian,
Generally, when the shafts are too soft balls have the tendency to go left. if you are loosing the ball right and hitting the ball thin most of the time, it would mean the original Motore 60 shafts on the R9 irons are getting a little bit light for you or there might also be an issue with the length or lie angle of the club.
of course the lower cost alternative would be see a club maker and have the shafts swapped out, depends on what the recommendations are. But please take note of the following when changing shafts,

1) the difference in Lie angle when shafts are swapped, all shaft and head combinations react differently, thus the need to rework lie angles.

2) Swing weight rebalancing, there are substancial weight difference between a head meant for steel shafts and head meant for graphite shafts. So some work and caution needed on that note.

3) Biometric tolerance, as you are used to playing light weight graphite shafts, your body is not used to playing heavier shafts. this may be a prob in the beginning but may eventually taper off. signs of too heavy of a shaft would be catching the ball heavy on majority of shots and a significant reduction in distance.

4) As you mentioned, the Ball height is visibly lower, caution has to be taken on this note as steel shafts and Graphite shafts have different kick points. The graphite shaft having the lower kick would create a higher launch angle, while the steel shaft mentioned would have a slightly higher kick point and thus creating the lower launch angel.

Well the above is just some comments.
Experimenting with fitting and shaft swapping is great fun.
HAVE FUN!!! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
http://www.theos-blah.tumblr.com
vjian
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
vjian

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 7:52 pm

One of the reason that i thinking of changing equipment is i worry about continue using a wrong iron may effect my swing.of course i am not mean that i going to throw away my current set because of the unsatisfaction.as i said i am very serious to this sport and of course i am working hard with the correct golf swing method.So, i really afraid that something inpropriate will hinder my process.Example:equipment..lolx..that why i am thinking of changing.Of course who dont want to own a new set.but its not my excuse to spend money la...just that i found that stiff shaft will give me what iam looking for...accuracy..distance wise is ok..cost me few meters but give me a beautiful straight line...before that i am just hitting...think that money is better to spend at lesson than equipment..but now i understand that player until certain level will not improving without getting a suitable weopan with you.i still planning to get 2nd 3rd 4th lesson for different stage and just because i know that i am not only 'playing' golf and i am really serious so i am thinking of getting a better equipment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Change shaft?or change irons?   Change shaft?or change irons? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Change shaft?or change irons?
Page 1 of 1