Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do we really need to change stock shaft?

Go down 
+6
ghoonk
jimmychoo
golfcoma
eiji
shotah
TigaWood
10 posters
AuthorMessage
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

Do we really need to change stock shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Do we really need to change stock shaft?   Do we really need to change stock shaft? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:06 am

Do we really need to change the stock shaft?
Can an average golfer really appreciate the difference?
If there is a shaft that can give me another 20 meters(driver).....let me know. I will change.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Do we really need to change stock shaft?   Do we really need to change stock shaft? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:16 am

its very personal... you never try, you never know.... sometimes, its luck also..
i manage to get a 2nd hand club and the CPM was exactly the same as my fitted 3wd. SOo lucky me. In my opinion, getting fitted is not only for distance, it can tell you more information, especially with a track man. Smile
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Do we really need to change stock shaft?   Do we really need to change stock shaft? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:23 am

besides distance i think finding the right shaft to tighten dispersion is important.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we really need to change stock shaft?   Do we really need to change stock shaft? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:32 am

I consider myself an average golfer and changing the shafts on my driver and irons has helped quite a fair bit. As eiji said, finding the right shaft is important so make sure you get fitted.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Do we really need to change stock shaft?   Do we really need to change stock shaft? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 1:28 am

It really depend....depend on the brand. Some brand stiff flex is = some other brand regular flex or maybe senior flex.
If you are like your nick seebayho and can play any flex without problem, I don't see why u need to change. Laughing
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Do we really need to change stock shaft?   Do we really need to change stock shaft? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 1:49 am

That's what custom fitting it -- takes the guesswork out of what works and what does not.

Now, I would rather buy a set of heads only, and then get custom fitted, where the fitter would fit different shafts on the same head and use appropriate tools (e.g. launch monitor) to measure spin rates, launch angles, angle of attack, swing speed, smash factor, etc, from which a shaft that delivers an optimal combination of distance and dispersion is recommended.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Do we really need to change stock shaft?   Do we really need to change stock shaft? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 2:35 am

I think every golfer who is interested in improving his game shd go for a fitting session.

My buddy who just started on the mini tour here, has been using his PING G2 with grafalloy blue S forever, was crunching his drives on the trackman :

Carry 280yd
Total 302yds
Spin 2800+
LA 13
Swing Speed 117mph

These numbers were really very good already. He is not well to do and tends to stick to equipment for quite a long time and I told him that he should be open minded about a driver which can give him more distance. He was very skeptical about it.

When my fitter handed him a Mizuno MP600 with a Pershing 75X, his numbers were off the charts

Carry 298yds
Total 335yds
Spin 1500+( I have never seen spin so low nor thought its possible to achieve it)
LA 15
Swing Speed 119mph

So, it doesn't matter how good you are. Having an open mind and trying out different shafts will get you some performance increase, whether its distance or dispersion u r after.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Do we really need to change stock shaft?   Do we really need to change stock shaft? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:56 am

seebayho wrote:
If there is a shaft that can give me another 20 meters(driver).....let me know. I will change.

Answer - Kajiki
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Do we really need to change stock shaft?   Do we really need to change stock shaft? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 6:44 am

SBH, your burner with your aldila serrano is already perfect. no need to change.

are u lacking consistency? u r already hitting it long for a golfer/man your standard.
Back to top Go down
Straightman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we really need to change stock shaft?   Do we really need to change stock shaft? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:08 pm

seebayho wrote:
Do we really need to change the stock shaft?
Can an average golfer really appreciate the difference?

Most AVERAGE golfers should be able to make do with stock shaft. More distance does not necessarily equate with better dispersion (accuracy). Hence it is best to get to a place where they have some sort of measuring device before you buy that driver. A good fitter will be able to help you select that shaft that fit you best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do we really need to change stock shaft?   Do we really need to change stock shaft? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do we really need to change stock shaft?
Page 1 of 1